Pom Pom Crab

Pom Pom Crab

Postby Slick » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:27 pm

Hello. After getting back from my Christmas trip I noticed that my Pom Pom crab has a little red egg pouch under it. I have only had the crab for about a month, and only have one. From reading a little, it seems the female can mate once and produce eggs for life? Interesting.

Anyhow, I wasnt really intending on breeding them, but what can I do to help some of them survive? I doubt I will be able to get the crab into a separate tank, so what can I do to help them out? Is there some kind of food that I need to use for the babies, since they are going to be so small?

How long before I should expect them to hatch?

Please pass along any tips you may have, or other articles I can read.

Thanks,
-Jim
Slick

Postby spawner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Slick,

They are not an easy crab to work with, small larvae and settlement is an issue. I'd suggest since your not that intent on rearing them that you let them be coral food. You really need to get adult out of your reef tank and it to an enclosure or a smaller tank to work with the larvae.

If your interested in rearing them your going to need to do a lot of reading on this site about crab and shrimp rearing and larval nutrition. Also the Pacific Mud Crab literature is a good place to start looking as well.
spawner

Postby Slick » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Yeah, I think I am just gonna let the life cycle play out. It'd be neat to see a new crab pop up though in a little while. In the small chance that a couple would survive, its not really worth the effort.

Thanks for the input.
Slick

Re: Pom Pom Crab

Postby Davide_m » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:10 am

Today I see the same red punch under one crab I have in retail tank. There is 2 crabs in it, but only one have ared punch.
How I can proceed?
regards

Davide
Davide

(sorry for my english)
Davide_m

Re: Pom Pom Crab

Postby Davide_m » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:16 am

Ciao,
La covata è andata a buon fine, ma essendo la prima che ho seguo, e benché avessi individuato il giorno della schiusa (vedi foto), non ho isolato la bestiola e le larve sono andate perse.
Vedremo come si evolverà la cosa e se replicheranno...

The puch developed well, but I have't isolate them to collect larvae, I'll hope on next time!

Davide

(sorry for my english)
Davide_m

Return to Brachyura - Crabs