lybia tesselata

lybia tesselata

Postby angi » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:58 am

hi,

I would like to know if one of you is trying to TR this crab as I am struggling.

This is a summary of my results ( 3 tries, always with a limited amount of the hatch)

Spawn to hatching time is 13 - 15 days, deepening on temperature
Sequence of new eggs is about 3 weeks
Larvae are released 30 min to 60 min after light has been switched off, larvae are released from an high position within the tank. The releasing process can take several hours, but has not been observed completely Last time I watched them for 1 hour about 250 larvae had been released but the eggs mass was still huge

The fresh produced egg mass is bright red-orange, the color gets lighter by development time from orange to topas short before hatching.

The female starts hiding more and more already 2-3 days before hatching occurs. She also stops to take food as closer it gets to hatching.

The larvae are tiny and significant smaller then the larvae of hermit crabs, the are positive phototroph and very active. They show the typical horn on the head.

Due to its size they can not eat any kind of NHBS (corrode at the most), rots seem not to be in the prey scheme, no active food consumption could be observed. Life phytoplankton has always been added. The rearing container was more high then wide, moderate aerated which created an upwards current. In all 3 tries the larvae died after 3 days

Additional I have concerns regarding the need of the tiny anemones. Will the development of zoe phases be stopped due to missing anemones?

Who has tried raising this crab or can provide some tips? Looking forward to information exchanged as I will not give up before I raised them.

best regards from germany
yrs, angi
angi

Postby Clownfish75 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:09 am

Hi

I have never seen any info on this species, but i have never looked hard. This species is very rare in Australia, but i do know someone who has a pair spawning, just one day have to get some larvae.

One question i can answer, the anemones i seriously doubt will influence the larval survival, at the most they might help with a settlement que but i dont know much about that. I have been told if the adults loose an anemone they can regain it somehow, weather this is finding the one they lost or spliting the one they may still have i am not sure.

I might surgest that you could look at details on the culture of commercial crab species like swimmer and mud crabs, i know mudcrabs are very hard to rear, and there is heaps of scientific info on it. Can you access scientific papers on commercial species? if not i can have al ook probably later in the week if you remind me, and get a scientific name.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby angi » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:37 am

Thank you clownfish, I will look for information about the mudcrabs.

here a pic of the zoea, 2 days old.

http://nanoriffundmeer.de/pageID_4297007.html
yrs, angi
angi

Postby aomont » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi Angi,
Which phyto have you tried ?
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby angi » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:50 pm

hi anderson,

I tried a mix of live

Isochrysis
Rhodomonas
Synechococcus
Thalassiosira
Nannochloris
Nanochloropsis

bye, angi
yrs, angi
angi

Re: lybia tesselata

Postby FuEl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:07 am

angi wrote:Due to its size they can not eat any kind of NHBS (corrode at the most), rots seem not to be in the prey scheme, no active food consumption could be observed. Life phytoplankton has always been added. The rearing container was more high then wide, moderate aerated which created an upwards current. In all 3 tries the larvae died after 3 days

Hi angi, this observation seems to be similar to that for Hymenocera sp. larvae. I still got the deaths although literature states that larvae would take rotifers and bbs, I just did'nt observe any ingestion of prey. I would suspect that it could be a water parameter issue. Perhaps it's worth a try using NSW?
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Re: lybia tesselata

Postby spawner » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:43 am

The zoea are extremely easy to work with; I've had a few hundered make it to megalopa and did not get one crab out of them. I was just playing around with them, no serious efforts to date.

andy

FuEl wrote:
angi wrote:Due to its size they can not eat any kind of NHBS (corrode at the most), rots seem not to be in the prey scheme, no active food consumption could be observed. Life phytoplankton has always been added. The rearing container was more high then wide, moderate aerated which created an upwards current. In all 3 tries the larvae died after 3 days

Hi angi, this observation seems to be similar to that for Hymenocera sp. larvae. I still got the deaths although literature states that larvae would take rotifers and bbs, I just did'nt observe any ingestion of prey. I would suspect that it could be a water parameter issue. Perhaps it's worth a try using NSW?
spawner

Postby angi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:37 am

Hi FuEl,

I live in the inland. no chance, to get NSW ;-)

Hi Spawner,

that is very interesting. did you feed excluding BBS? no phyto added? which raising basin did you have? kreisel?

(I will get one shortly)
yrs, angi
angi

Postby angi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:31 pm

The latest news for Lybia breeding:

The zoeas eat BBS of the first day. They usually stay in the horde. They come into the megalopa temperature-dependently between day 17 and 19. By the day 22 it will get critical.

Pay attention to the best water quality :wink:
yrs, angi
angi

Re:

Postby jiriki » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:57 pm

angi wrote:The latest news for Lybia breeding:

The zoeas eat BBS of the first day. They usually stay in the horde. They come into the megalopa temperature-dependently between day 17 and 19. By the day 22 it will get critical.

Pay attention to the best water quality :wink:

Mine just hatched yesterday. How did your experience go? I have baby brine shrimp in mine so far. It's impossible to tell if they are eating them or not.
jiriki

Re:

Postby angi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:55 am

they eat baby brine shrimp. believe me :wink: I fed nothing else and could watch the lybia children also at the spoils catch (magnifying glass).

greetings
yrs, angi
angi

Re:

Postby jiriki » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:32 pm

angi wrote:they eat baby brine shrimp. believe me :wink: I fed nothing else and could watch the lybia children also at the spoils catch (magnifying glass).

greetings

Very cool! I'll have to get one. How old are yours now? Do they look like crabs yet?
jiriki

Re:

Postby angi » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:29 am

These were my experiences from the past. I do not have any cultivation couple of Lybia tesselata currently. Good luck to You![/quote]
yrs, angi
angi

Return to Brachyura - Crabs