Red Legged Hermit Breeding (Accidentally)

Red Legged Hermit Breeding (Accidentally)

Postby Rod130 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:46 pm

I've been trying to raise Coral Banded Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus) fry this last couple of months and in doing so I think I've been raising red-legged hermits at the same time. I assume the hermits released fry on the same night as I collected the shrimp fry. I thought they were shrimp fry up until a few days ago when I added a little bit of coral gravel to the pot I had one last remaining baby from my first attempt left (around 6 weeks old I think) and the little fry almost instantly found a tiny shell and moved in.

Here's a few pics, but a few could be shrimp fry,

Day1 - but these may well be shrimp fry

Day3

Day5

Day13

Day45

I haven't managed to get a better pic of him in the shell yet - it's just a bit too small (roughly 1mm wide) for my camera.

With the co-culture going I got to around day 12 with no noticeable die-offs. On day 13 I lost a lot of fry, around the same time I noticed a pretty big change in the fry (pic above) but I think the losses were due to a big water change I carried out on day 12. I fed mostly nhbs for the first two weeks and occasionally fed enriched bs after about a week. After the large die-off I only had 6 left and started to loose one every 2 or 3 days, at the time I put that down to cannibalism but that was when I still thought they were shrimp, I think perhaps if they'd had shells to make homes they'd probably still be going too. I'm just feeding this last one crushed flake and the odd bit of frozen mysis and it seams to be doing well - although size wise it's not noticeably bigger than the pic at Day13.

Cheers,

Rod.
Rod130

Return to Anomura - Hermit Crabs & Porcelain Crabs