Red Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius sp.) Larvae Breeding Log

Re: Red Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius sp.) Larvae Breeding Log

Postby MadWorld » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Day 18.

Like 3 dead or so from days before and today.
Added around 125 + shells to the container, 2mm to 5mm.(It took forever to search for tiny shells in 1 pound of crushed coral substrate :cry: )
Added the loner hermit to the container.
MadWorld

Postby till » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:04 pm

Good Luck! you do very well!

i did raise Clibanarius virescens and C. tricolor as well as Paguristes cadenati. If i remember correctly the Clibanarius species took about 28 days to reach megalopa while P. candenati was able to reach it at day 11.

check out the link in my signature for some pictures.
till

Postby spawner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:40 pm

MadWorld wrote:Day 18.
Added around 125 + shells to the container, 2mm to 5mm.(It took forever to search for tiny shells in 1 pound of crushed coral substrate :cry: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry can't help my self, but you got to do what you got to do. At least you have shells. Can you image an commerical production of these guys, you'd need a lot of shells. All different sizes and a lot of people picking and sorting. S
spawner

Postby MadWorld » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 pm

spawner wrote:
MadWorld wrote:Day 18.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry can't help my self, but you got to do what you got to do. At least you have shells. Can you image an commerical production of these guys, you'd need a lot of shells. All different sizes and a lot of people picking and sorting. S

Lol. My goal is to search for all the shells in my 15 pound crushed coral by next monday. 8)
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:13 am

Day 20

Nothing happened.
I did 100% water change.
That loner hermit was actually the female hermit lol.
She has her eggs, im going to leave her there.
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:38 am

Day 21.

I swear there were atleast 50 larvae in there yesterday, and i can only see 3. :|
And the funny thing is i see no dead bodies. I saw 4 heads, but there was no meat inside, probably molts. :?:
Did the female eat them? I guess i should add this bugger at Day 28 or so, not so early.
AH whatever. :x I still have 4 LoL :D. Man i hope at least one makes it.

Now to new changes to rearing... Hopefully this will work?
Im going to use a container/tank that holds more water, 5 gallons, and fill it up to 3 gallons.
An internal heater.
2 air pumps, maybe another one? I bought one 1 week ago, maybe buy another.
50% water changes a day, or is that too much?
2 feedings of brine a day.
I need some help on the brine feeding. How much should i make to have the tank have a density of brine at 3 per ml? Teaspoon? Tablespoon? A gram?
MadWorld

Postby Tromph » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:09 am

Hello!

No way that the big water exchange was the trouble?
Tromph

Postby MadWorld » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 am

Tromph wrote:Hello!

No way that the big water exchange was the trouble?

It might have been, but i examined the container carefully for every larvae i could find, before i threw out the water. When i put them inside the holding cup, there was 50+ swimming around.
Then the next day, i dont see any dead bodies, all i see is hermit crab poop, hermit crab, 4 larvae (now only i have 3), and 5 larvae heads.
For the heck of it, i even smashed my air stone to see if the settled into the little pores lol, i couldn't find anything.

Right now im keeping the survivors inside a small plastic cup, floating inside my 20 gall with some bubbles, ill replay back with these guys if they make it or not.

Weird.... Anyways, it could've been it, im going to try it again, no more mistakes this time! :P. I think 2 feedings a day, and cleaning after each feeding should do the trick.
MadWorld

Postby Tromph » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:00 am

Hello Madworld!

Hermits were born on a Saturday, I sent it to become they zoo-t, fito-t and naupilii-t but onto a next day they're dead. You have an idea why?

Tromph
Tromph

Postby Kmiec123 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:02 am

Very interesting tread and nice work MadWorld.
Carl
Kmiec123

Postby MadWorld » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Tromph wrote:Hello Madworld!

Hermits were born on a Saturday, I sent it to become they zoo-t, fito-t and naupilii-t but onto a next day they're dead. You have an idea why?

Tromph

What type of container were they in? Circular, square, square with round edges, short or tall?
How many gallons, or liters?
Did you have flow on each side, or enough flow for everything to be moving around? Look and make sure none of them on the floor, or stuck somewhere.
How much food? I put around or less than 1/4 of a gram of brine shrimp a day. I think you overdosed on the amount of food, causing ammonia spike. Just try brine shrimp only. Try 3-6 brine shrimp per larvae, or density of 3-6 per ml. And during your water changes and cleaning, take out some brine shrimp.
I also use a product called "Ammonia Clear" it is cheap, which converts ammonia to ammonium.
Did you clean the bottom of the tank of decaying matter, daily?

On my first try i didn't make past day 4, so dont worry, and the reasoned they die was probably lack of air flow, and way too much food, plus ammonia.

Anyways,

Something weird is happening to my spawning patterns. Im no longer getting 15 day spawns, since Friday i have been getting 5-30 larvae appearing at night time, and i see them coming out of her shell, yet she is not doing her spawning dance. :|
I think it has to with now they are 2 females with eggs, and 1 male.

Anyways i collect 40 of them , and put them in a REALLY small circular container (1/4 of a liter), with air flow, doing water changes like every 2-3 hours or whenever, and 2 feedings.

If i get a good spawn (300-500 larvae) today, or whenever im going to try my new rearing idea, which is a bucket (5 gallon water jug), place inside a coleman/coolman +water + heater, wrapped around in black garbage bag, and air flow.
and if i get another good spawn, ill try the old method with the 2 gallon square container filled with 1 gallon.
Last edited by MadWorld on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadWorld

Postby Tromph » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:42 am

Hello!

The aquarium is rectangular. There is an airstone and a heater.
Would be better if the aquarium would be a sphere?
Tromph

Postby MadWorld » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:09 am

Tromph wrote:Hello!

The aquarium is rectangular. There is an airstone and a heater.
Would be better if the aquarium would be a sphere?

It would be better, and also taller would make it better, but a rectangular container with round edges should be fine.
Add more flow (air stone at each corner), and less food.
MadWorld

Previous

Return to Anomura - Hermit Crabs & Porcelain Crabs