Red Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius sp.) Larvae Breeding Log

Red Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius sp.) Larvae Breeding Log

Postby MadWorld » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Yesterday, i saw a swarm of little guys swarming around, and i assume it must be my hermit, as they are the only critters that are in a pair.

Anyways,
first day
I take them out put them in cups, then moved them into a container filled around 1 gallon of water, i put a little bit of frozen brine (don't know if they ate them or not)

Second day
the brine shrimp hatched, i put them in the container, im guessing they are eating them.

Now i want to know if im doing it right, and how many water changes do i have to do? Every day, every other day? I haven't done one yet.
Last edited by FuEl on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: topic change request
MadWorld

Re: Hermit Crab Larvae how to raise them?

Postby Clownfish75 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:32 pm

sounds ok so far, perhaps a portion every day would be wise.

I would keep a record of survival, if you get past a week then you probably dont need rotifers on a second go.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby MadWorld » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Another question :) ,

Should i shine the light in the corner, so both the brine and the larvae are close together? (im doing it right now)

And i confirm they are eating, or at least grabbing them. They swim around, and once they are close they do a quick spurt and grab the brine, really cool lol.
MadWorld

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:35 am

if you have them in a seperate tank i wouldnt shine a torch in there like that unles syour observing them.

Time is the best way to tell if they are feeding well, i would imagine they would eat BBS though.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby MadWorld » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:44 pm

Day 3

6 or so dead, and around 50+ alive.
Did 2 and half cup water change.
Added new BBS

Tank Stats:

Temperature: 25-27 degrees Celsius/ 80-82 degrees Fahrenheit
pH: 8
Ammonia: .50ppm Did another test, 1.00ppm.
Nitrite: Not sure
Nitrate: 0ppm

Should i do more of a water change to lower the ammonia or is that safe?

UPDATE 10:30-11:22pm EST, July 8 2009

Decided to do 2 litre water change seeing how i found 15-20 of them dead. :cry: But still a decent amount of them living, i think still 50+
The Ammonia level is now somewhere between 0.05ppm-0.15ppm (API test kit only has .0ppm to .25ppm, so i estimate)

P.S

Is it possible to change the title to "Red Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius sp.) Larvae Breeding Log"
Thanks.

Im not 100 percent sure on the species, it also might be the Clibanarius erythropus.
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:40 am

Day 4

9:00am-9:39am

3 Cup water change.
Added New BBS.
Ammonia level same as yesterday (.05ppm -.15ppm)
Quantity same as yesterday (50+).

UPDATE

4:55pm

Added 1/8 tablet of Jungle Ammonia Clear to reduce ammonia to 0ppm. The larvae are still alive.
Last edited by MadWorld on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadWorld

Re: Red Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius sp.) Larvae Breeding Log

Postby FuEl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Topic changed as requested. :)
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby MadWorld » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 am

DAY 5

They died, :cry:.

Im going to try using a FW breeder encloser with small holes wrapped around with some type of net inside the tank, instead of using a separate container.

Hopefully the Hermits will start to mate again, at the moment they are separate again, anyway to make them mate or no?

And the pair of hermits mated 3 days ago, so im guessing it takes sometime for the female to release the larvae?
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:11 am

Hello,
This time it looks like its going better.
I decided to use an external heater. I placed it beside the container, and it gives me a constant heating of 25.5 degrees Celsius, compare to the all the different internal aquarium heaters gave me 28-33 degrees plus Celsius. I also decided to use water from my established tank to fill the tank up and for water changes as there are pods and other microorganisms in it, which adds variety to the food the larvae, can eat.

Equipment.

Air pump
Long Air stone (8 inches or so)
2 Gallon Container filled with 1 gallon of established tank water.
Plastic Cups
External Heat Source (Only thing I could find that will not over or under heat the tank, and usually left it at an average of 25.5 degrees Celsius)

Day 1 (June 16)

Hermit Crab Female Releases larvae after 10 days from the mating day.
Around 90% collected looked like around 200-350+ larvae.
Used the water from my tank to use in the container.
Had no brine ready, added a bit of frozen brine, and a got as much as copepods and other microorganisms from the tank as possible.
I added 1/8 of tablet of ammonia clear.

Day 2 (June 17)

Around 6-10 dead larvae.
Cleaned the container by sucking out dead organisms on the bottom.
Added NHBS.

Day 3 (June 18)

Around 20-25 dead larvae.
Did a 2.5 cup water changed, used the water from my tank.
Added NHBS

Day 4 (June 19)

Around 15-20 dead larvae.
Cleaned the tank by sucking out dead organisms on the bottom.
Added NHBS
Added some RO/DI water to lower the salinity (Evaporation)

Day 5 (June 20)

Around 45-60 dead (around 150-170 left)
2.5 Cup water change + cleaning the container
Added NHBS
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:55 am

Day 6 (June 21)

Very little dead, 3-6 larvae.
Did 2.5 cup water change + cleaning the tank
Added NHBS

I think the reason so many died before because there are spots within the container that are not getting enough flow and they seem to collide and stick to each other (i assumed this, because each time i find dead ones they are always in groups), so every 2-3 hours i just get the turkey blaster and squirt around the corners.
MadWorld

Postby FuEl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Perhaps you can try an airstone at each corner? :idea:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby MadWorld » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:27 pm

FuEl wrote:Perhaps you can try an airstone at each corner? :idea:

Air pump is not strong enough for more than 2 splits, and i dont have another air pump atm (wish i had a job lol).
I will just do it manually. :P

Thanks though.
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:38 am

Day 7 (June 22)

3-6 dead Larvae
Did 2.5 water cup change + cleaning
Added NHBS

Day 8 (June 23)
1-3 Dead Larvae
2.5 water cup change + cleaning
Added NHBS
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:30 am

Day 9 (July 24)

Couldn't find any dead larvae
2.5 cup water change + cleaning
Added NHBS

Oops, it is the month of july, not june, still living in the past. :lol:
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:30 am

Day 10 (July 25)
2 Dead Larvae
2.5 Cup water change + cleaning
Added NHBS

Day 11 (July 26)
15 Dead Larvae (Again in groups, didn't really squirt the sides this time)
Added NHBS

Day 12 (July 27)
None dead, however i found that the suction cup of the thermometer grouped a bunch of larves from days before, so 30 deaths, but they looked like zoe 2s ( a lot smaller, and the telson's dont look as "rough" as the zoe 4s), and not zoe 4s.
Added NHBS
I have roughly around 110 larvae alive.

I guess megalopa stage will be tomorrow, once they are at that stage do i do anything different?

BTW: it is suppose to be july not june, someone please change it, thanks.
MadWorld

Postby spawner » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Clibanarius sp. Do you know where they are from? They seem to be molting every three days. My guess would be Mexico and not a tropical species.

You need to place tiny shells in the tank for them. They will not settle without a shell or something they can use for a shell. If your getting zoea molts every three days I would expect them to molt to crab 1 in 4-5 day from zoea 4.
spawner

Postby MadWorld » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:51 pm

spawner wrote:Clibanarius sp. Do you know where they are from? They seem to be molting every three days. My guess would be Mexico and not a tropical species.

You need to place tiny shells in the tank for them. They will not settle without a shell or something they can use for a shell. If your getting zoea molts every three days I would expect them to molt to crab 1 in 4-5 day from zoea 4.

I am not 100% sure of the species, it looks similar to that of Clibanarius species. It has a reddish brown legs, and maximum growth of 1 inch, males are a little robust in their claws and legs.
Pretty sure they are tropical species seeing how the adults are living inside my tank at 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

But i may be wrong, ill post pictures of the hermit crabs tomorrow, and also larvae (ill try)

For shells, you think if i get a 1 cm shell and cut it from the top to middle so it can be around 3mm in size work? Or are the end of the shells full calcium?

I have 2, 3mm shells ill drop them in, and see what happens tomorrow.
MadWorld

Postby Tromph » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:43 am

Hello MadWorld!
I am Szabó Gábor from Hungery. There are a couple of hermits for me my cancer, and recently hatching. I raised clownfishes successfully already and I would love the hermits. I would like to ask you it what you give to them how to eat after hatching? And that what kind of interval hatching?

Thanks, and sorry for my terrible english!

Tromph
Tromph

Postby spawner » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am

I would think you need shells in the mm range. Just get a large variety of sizes in there. From very very small to a bit larger.
spawner

Postby MadWorld » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:35 am

Tromph wrote:Hello MadWorld!
I am Szabó Gábor from Hungery. There are a couple of hermits for me my cancer, and recently hatching. I raised clownfishes successfully already and I would love the hermits. I would like to ask you it what you give to them how to eat after hatching? And that what kind of interval hatching?

Thanks, and sorry for my terrible english!

Tromph

I feed them mainly Newly Hatched Baby Brine Shrimp, and i feed everyday around 10:00am (basically every 24 hours). I also take around 2.5 cup water out of the container and put in 2.5 cup water from an established tank, that probably contains some phyto and zoo plankton (just a little bit).

My hermits release larvae around 10-15 days after they mated, then around 30 minutes of darkness (complete darkness for best results), the female will start to wave them out.

If you want to get all the larvae, flip the female over, and let her expose her abdomen and eggs. If the eggs are bright red/orange + black dots, then they are ready to hatch, so you should slowly acclimate to the larvae tank, and then you will have all the larvae (i have not done this though)

The main thing that kills the larvae is the lack of flow, or dead spots within the container/tank. Make sure to have flow all around.
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:54 am

Here are the larvae at Day 14, they did not Mega yet. Anyone think they can figure what zoe they are at lol? Im just assuming zoe 4, by their telsons.

Female Hermit (Not the Greatest picture, but the legs are like this "dirty brown-red" colour.

MadWorld

Postby Tromph » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks the answer, you helped a lot.

Tromph
Tromph

Postby spawner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:13 pm

my guess would be a "Mexican red leg"
spawner

Postby MadWorld » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:23 pm

My crab released more larvae, but im leaving them to die, or survive on their own (released larvae at day 15, they seem to mate the next)

Good thing now, i can compare and contrast. My guys at day 15 are WAY bigger (3x, 4mm), their telsons are nice and robust with ruggedness in texture, their arms you can clearly see them move it, compare to newly hatched larvae their telsons are really teeny, and thin, very small (.5mm by 1.5mm). As of now they look like tiny FW crayfish, minus the claws.

But still dont know what Zoe they are at, for sure not Zoe 1, probably 3.

Man i wish i had a microscope. I tried taking "compare and contrast" pictures, but all of them are blurs, or specks.

BTW: If anyone in the scarborough/GTA region that wants to try these, you can contact me 10-13 days from now, and i will give them to you. I can hold it for 1-2 days.
MadWorld

Postby MadWorld » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:32 pm

spawner wrote:my guess would be a "Mexican red leg"

I think your right, because the day i bought them they LFS was selling other "mexican" based inverts, snails (cerith) and peppermint shrimp.

Well, i googled, couldn't find anything about their stage days. I found a similar species, Paguristes cadenatis, however they reach mega at day 11.... So cant really compare seeing how mine are at day 15 and are not at mega stage. :P.

Going to go to the FW fish store, and buy/get 100 Malaysian trumpet snails, boil and remove the meat, and then throw them in, or check out some lfs art/bead store if they have shells.
MadWorld

Next

Return to Anomura - Hermit Crabs & Porcelain Crabs