Help With Hermits

Help With Hermits

Postby Joe_ness » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:50 am

I was looking in my ten gallon the other night, and i noticed what seemed to be sand all over the rock. I was tired, so i thought nothing of it. Next morining, woke up, no sand. Last night, after lights out, i looked again. What do you think i saw... This sand stuff.

So i caught my sand, put it in a cup, and looked at it under a magnifying glass (I don't have a microscope). I saw what i believed to be baby hermits. They were occupying tiny shells that they either pulled from the sand bed or took from a baby nessarius, if my nassarius are breeding. Their movements were very "Jerky", kindof like adult hermits, and if I looked close enough, I could see legs every once and a while.
I only have about fifty in my specimen cup, and there are easily more than that still roaming the tank.

So my questions are, What do i feed them now? and How could they survive this far, don't they need a very small first food before settlement?
Joe_ness

Postby Chad Vossen » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:47 pm

read some of the other threads here in this forum on hermits for better answers.

this is what hermits look like when they are less than a day old.

they can eat newly hatched brine shrimp and rotifers.

after about 13 days or so, they'll need tiny shells to move into.
Chad Vossen

Postby Joe_ness » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:16 pm

The ones I have seem to already be in shells. What I'm confused about is how they would survive this long without me feeding small enough foods. It is only a 10 gallon disaplay and a 10 gallon fuge. I don't think that any plankton would be able to reproduce fast enough in a system this small to feed these guys.
I threw some chaeto and caulerpa in the specimen cup with them and they all seem to be clinging to it. Hopefully they are eating. Ill hatch out some bbs to throw in with them today.
Ill also see about getting a few photos.
Thanks for the reply!
Joe_ness

Return to Anomura - Hermit Crabs & Porcelain Crabs