Hermit crab - breeding log

Hermit crab - breeding log

Postby Zeptonium » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Last night I heard some splashing in my 125. Fearing my mandarin jumped out I went to look. He was just gorging himself on some larvae. There were hundreds under each moon LED. I shut off pumps and siphoned out 4 gallons of larvae into round fishbowl/kreisel. I got less than half of them. I added a pair of Coral Banded Shrimp 2 weeks ago, but I have been watching and not seen any eggs. These kinda look like mysis, but I have not had any living in this tank since a big crash early summer. Also the mysis were never in water column. They fold in half and jump/swim away from rigid tubing while collecting and under scope. I also have 12x 1"-1.5" zebra hermits and 2x 1.5"-2" electric blue hermits in this tank. I added some phyto and BBS to kreisel. BBS seems too big, but I have no other live food right now.

Any suggestions what these are? What they eat?

60x magnification - digital blue QX5
Last edited by Zeptonium on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
Zeptonium

Postby till » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:35 pm

must be hermit crab larvae. bbs should work well ;)
till

Postby Chad Vossen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:29 am

yep, hermit larvae! sounds like your doing it right too.

for shells, you can hand select the tiny shells out of a sample of the crushed coral substrate sold at some fish stores. or locate some freshwater Malaysian live bearer snails and farm your own shells. the baby snails at 1 week old look to be perfect.
Chad Vossen

Postby Zeptonium » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for the ID. I got some tiny shells from the craft store, but not sure if they are small enough. I have 2 kinds of FW snails I was going to try. I might move some to a 2.5 gallon just to harvest shells from. I also have 2 buckets of crushed coral I can pick through.

Should I just put a lot of tiny shells on tank bottom now? How long before the hermits are old enough to move in? About half the hermit larvae try and stay on front glass, other half in water column.
Brad
Zeptonium

Postby Chad Vossen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:40 pm

i've not done this myself, i got to 4 days with my hermits before i lost interest and let them die off.

aparently some hermits take aprox 13 days to 19 days till they reach their final stage, at which point they need to find a shell to move into.

i fed my sexy shrimp larvae rotifers (all i had at the time) and i could see they were eating them. i'd assume hermits larvae could eat the same. everyone that has done hermits though have done it with BBS.

i think raising scarlets and electric blue hermit crabs could be profitable. probably no money in blue legs though. to make enough money i'd sell directly to clubs and get the 2-3$ per hermit.

an idea of mine would be to color code all your shells so you can see how big they are getting. then get the shells that you'd sell the hermits in and wait for the hermits to move into those before selling. this way you can easily pick out empty "settlement shells" because they might be colored pink in a pile of blue and green shells.
Chad Vossen

Postby till » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:02 pm

3-6 mm shell size should work well. I did Paguristes cadenati, Clibanarius tricolor and C. virescens. P. cadenati settle at 11 days, the Clibanarius species took about a month. When they reach the final stage (called Glaucothoe in hermit crabs) its time to add the shells. Glaucothoe are easily recognized as they look very different to foregoing zoea larvae. C. tricolor seems to need a cue by adult conspecifics. As mine didnt settle but seemed competent so i added an adult and they all metamorphosed the following night. :) good luck!
till

Re:

Postby Pszemol » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:28 am

till wrote:3-6 mm shell size should work well. I did Paguristes cadenati, Clibanarius tricolor and C. virescens. P. cadenati settle at 11 days, the Clibanarius species took about a month. When they reach the final stage (called Glaucothoe in hermit crabs) its time to add the shells. Glaucothoe are easily recognized as they look very different to foregoing zoea larvae. C. tricolor seems to need a cue by adult conspecifics. As mine didnt settle but seemed competent so i added an adult and they all metamorphosed the following night. :)

Hello! Do you have any notes/pictures from your rising hermits larvae? I would like to learn more from your experience.

I have several wild caught Hawaian Calcinus elegans specimens (orange variety, collected them myself several years ago near Maui) which I would love to breed - is there any info available on breeding them?

I like your coment on conspecific cueing hermits to settlement. I wonder if this method would work with Lysmata shrimps which many breeders report having problems with delayed settlement...
Pszemol

Postby till » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi, I m not aware of any information about rearing Calcinus elegans. The species i bred are fairly easy. The larvae are able to capture and feed on NHBS from the first day, but might do better on rotifers or a combination of both. Also note the threads by Pewey and Luis A M:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/view ... 25&start=0

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/view ... 22&start=0
till

Re: Hermit crab - breeding log

Postby youngdadd » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:36 pm

I'm pretty sure thats what i just found in my nano, i think i found them to late because the filter was left on. do you think theres a chance some survived? and will they spawn again? or was this a big fluke?
1luv
youngdadd

Re: Hermit crab - breeding log

Postby Netra » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:53 am

Hello Youngdad, it's too late for this spawning but you will get another one in 10-14 days. the eggs hatch 1-2 hour after the ligth turn off.
It's a lot easier to catch them with a larvae catcher.

The problem with hermit crab : the shells. It's really a pain to find the good size.
Netra
MOFIB Translator

Return to Anomura - Hermit Crabs & Porcelain Crabs