URGENT: Aculeatus Hatchlings (octopus) in NH

Re: URGENT: Aculeatus Hatchlings (octopus) in NH

Postby spawner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 am

Hey your doing better than us. Ours bit it over the weekend.
spawner

Postby jadeguppy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 am

Those look really neat. Great pictures. Sorry to hear they didn't make it spawner, maybe next time.

How did you guys manage to get babies? Does someone have a breeding pair?
jadeguppy

Postby Flighty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

We got a wild caught adult female and she was carrying eggs.
Flighty

Postby spawner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Is your female still eating? The biggest issue public aquariums have with octopus is the whole lay eggs and die problem.
spawner

Postby Flighty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:39 pm

No, she stopped eating over a month ago and we have only seen her tentacles when she caused her eggs to hatch. It was quite a shock to me that she was still alive. After not seeing her for so long I had assumed that she had died in her den (a large porous rock that I can't get into).
Flighty

Postby Thales » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Andy, the biggest issues in public aquaria with cephs is their short lifespan. Laying the eggs and octos dying is only part of that, but the real issue is wild caught cephs because there is no way to tell their age. That means that they may only make it on display for months or weeks.

Not all cephs are semelparous, for instance lots of cuttles will lay clutches of eggs throughout their life, and there are even some octos that are iteroparous (though sourcing them has been an issue for 20 years!). If the small egged octo lifecycle could be cracked, there would be many happy people. :D

Aculeatus females are often collected (booo!) and often brood eggs in captivity. It is not uncommon for them to go several months without eating before succumbing to senescence and finally dying.

Oh - and just because I am a dork, octopus have arms, not tentacles. Generally, arms have suckers that go the entire length of the arm and tentacles have no suckers or hooks except on the club. :D
Thales

Postby spawner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Rich,

I know a couple of aquariums are really interested in disrupting the reproductive cycle of octopus (vulgaris) hoping it prevents the egg laying in the first place. The thought being that its behavioral issues not a programmed, only live for so many degree days, physiologically issue causing them to go off feed and then die. Thus the short life span, induced by reproduction.

Do you have any information along those lines?
spawner

Postby Thales » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:08 pm

spawner wrote:Rich,

I know a couple of aquariums are really interested in disrupting the reproductive cycle of octopus (vulgaris) hoping it prevents the egg laying in the first place. The thought being that its behavioral issues not a programmed, only live for so many degree days, physiologically issue causing them to go off feed and then die. Thus the short life span, induced by reproduction.

Do you have any information along those lines?

Not offhand, however, have they looked at the lifespan of the males? IIRC its about the same, so I am not sure that egglaying is a key to a longer lifespan. I could very easily be wrong. :D
Thales

Postby spawner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 pm

All they get are females as far as I know.

It would be very interesting to know if it was degree days or behavior.
spawner

Previous

Return to Cephalopoda - Octopus, Squid, & Cuttlefish