raising octopus

raising octopus

Postby KathyL » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:05 pm

While visiting my lfs, one of the employees was showing my son the octopus, turned over a rock, and there were strings of eggs hanging from it! Eggs? Anyone know how to raise Octopus?

They have had the octopus for 2 weeks. Any chance these are fertilized?
KathyL

Postby mpedersen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:49 pm

The ONLY thing I can offer up was that a LFS here had something similar occur...the babies were easily big enough to eat brine shrimp nauplii. I know they TRIED to rear them but I don't remember how it worked out (they offered me some to try, they had thousands, but I had no place to try them). It's my understanding that fertilization may occur internally, so yes, they could and probably are fertile eggs. I also recall that some (if not all) Octopi die after their eggs hatch?

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby aquafarmer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Kathy,
I used to work for the guy that raised O. bimaculoides (California two-spot) at the farm. We still do raise a few here and there. They could be fertilized so if they could it would be best to keep them isolated with the mother and watch them for development. You will be able to see the eyes close to when they are ready to hatch. They will hatch depending on temp and the species a little too I believe. Any idea where the region to octopus came from? Water quality needs to be good for them of course and leave the mother to do her thing and they will probably hatch. Best first food is amphipods so they should start a population as soon as possible. After hatching they can put them in a separate tank (shallow seem to work better) with some cut pvc pieces for them to hide out in.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Christine
aquafarmer

Postby KathyL » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:06 pm

it is highly unlikely that the lfs will raise them, and I cannot. From what I've read, there will not be much more life for the mother.

Cephalopod page.org says that they do not do well on artemia, although they will eat them. They do better on live mysis, and this is more difficult.

I copied and pasted the page, but I guess it did not work. I will look for the link.
http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/rearing.php
KathyL

Postby MReith » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:41 am

I found some discussions on cephalopod breeding in this forum:
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/index.php

As far as i know octopus species differ in their diet. Raising the fry might be easy in a species that hatches well developed benthic larvae. Small pelargic larvae of other species are more difficult to raise. Separation of individual fry might be necessary in either case. I don't think that many species have been raised yet.

Martin

Kathy, What species did you see at your lfs?
MReith

Postby KathyL » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:26 pm

I think they are Briareus, but I am not sure. I am not going to try to raise them. No space or time. I just thought it was interesting that they lay eggs in captivity, in a small tank in the LFS.
KathyL

Postby Kmiec123 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:41 pm

When I was on a "behind the scen at Sedd Aquarium" in Chicago, they have an breeding program going. You could try to contact them. Hope this helps...Carl

http://www.sheddaquarium.org/moonjellies.html
Kmiec123

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:39 pm

In the 70's, I was breeding O. joubini. The species is a Gulf Coast octopus. Grows to about 3-4cm body length, so easy to keep in the aquarium. Larvae were about the same size as O. briarius and O. vulgaris at hatchout. They will eat very small (freshly settled) grass shrimp (ghost shrimp) at hatchout. I remember (long time ago) that I grew about ten to adulthood. There are some rearing papers out there from that era. Strikes me that the researcher was Young.
Will check my files. May have some photos of larval feeding behavior.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Re:

Postby Thales » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:00 am

aquafarmer wrote:Kathy,
I used to work for the guy that raised O. bimaculoides (California two-spot) at the farm. We still do raise a few here and there. They could be fertilized so if they could it would be best to keep them isolated with the mother and watch them for development. You will be able to see the eyes close to when they are ready to hatch. They will hatch depending on temp and the species a little too I believe. Any idea where the region to octopus came from? Water quality needs to be good for them of course and leave the mother to do her thing and they will probably hatch. Best first food is amphipods so they should start a population as soon as possible. After hatching they can put them in a separate tank (shallow seem to work better) with some cut pvc pieces for them to hide out in.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Christine

Hi,

Was that Jim?
Thales

Return to Cephalopoda - Octopus, Squid, & Cuttlefish