Sepia bandensis Dwarf Cuttlefish development photos

Sepia bandensis Dwarf Cuttlefish development photos

Postby Anthony Calfo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 am

Sepia bandensis Dwarf Cuttlefish development photos. Eggs are being tumbled gently (and photographed below) in a round plastic cottage cheese container. I ate the cottage cheese first :)

A lovely kreisel is waiting for them. The "jellyfish" pictured in the kreisel are actually faux but they look real and amuse me while the tank is empty :) The LED fixture above this kreisel runs blue at night for moonlight in the fishroom).

In the egg crop you can barely see the face of a developing cuttlefish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Re: Sepia bandensis Dwarf Cuttlefish development photos

Postby lance » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:22 am

great shots as usual and that will be a perfect home for your cuttlefish they will love the housing. Is that a kresiel from Jim Stime?

lance
http://www.youtube.com/user/CoralMan24

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/lancelesko/

Always quarantine new arrival's before adding to breeding tank's or display
lance

Postby Anthony Calfo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:41 pm

It is, yes... a jelliquarium, I believe. Its been sitting for a while... hopeful for larvae/fry (perhaps my lions if and when). I may just need another kreisel now :)
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Anthony Calfo

Postby Anthony Calfo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:42 pm

And the little cuties have sprung...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony Calfo

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 am

Anthony,
First let me say they are SUPER CUTE :!: Next can you tell me what you are doing to take care of these guys? What do they eat? I can check on here and see if there are other threads but I figure since you just started this one......Anyway I'm sure you are going to go into more details about these guys but I need to know in the next few days. It looks like some of these eggs might end up here. :roll: And I know NOTHING so I need some help. :wink:

Thanks Bunches,
Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Thales » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 am

Much about this species, husbandry, breeding etc, is available on http://www.TONMO.com in the cuttlefish care section.

This article is still pretty up to date on everything other than refining groups of S. bandensis:
http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/cuttlefish.php

A more scientifical article is available in the 2010 Drum and Croaker available here:
http://www.colszoo.org/internal/drumcroaker.htm
Thales

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 am

Thanks Richard :!: I was just on your thread btw. I'm not exactly wanting to be a breeder of these guys. I want to take good care of some pets. I think this may really help me be a better eel breeder believe it or not. Plus my investor wants me to raise up some of these guys. So thanks for the links. I'm going to have him look all this over and see if he still thinks I should raise some up. I do have lots of pods and small mysis right now that didn't work as eel food fwiw.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Anthony Calfo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks Richard. The Drum and Croaker ref is also quite special. They issue so much incredible info that too many folks just don't know about. I pulled some incredible elasmobranch articles spanning many(!) decades from them when I first began breeding my sharks. What a wonderful resource.

Cheers, Amy. TONMO is indeed the default ref for cephs. But the short answer to your query is that eggs hatch in 2-3 weeks (often quickly though by the time you receive imported eggs). The hatchlings often will not eat for the first 2-3 days and even then can be quick picky. I have had the best luck feeding amphipods as a first food. On the smaller side too (adult amphipods are scary it seems to baby cuttlefish :p). Others will take to mysis rather quickly, but just don't count on it. Begin harvesting amphipods from a reef tank in advance. You might easily get them from your LFS or any hobbyists using filter media (polyester pads are often great for this) where amphipods set up discos :))
Anthony Calfo

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks Anthony,
Well I'm hoping that I talked my investor out of these guys........we'll see.I don't think he had any idea how much work and time these guys would need. But I'm good on food if he decides that I just have to do this. I do think it would be a cool learning experience. But it is a lot of work just for that. Also I'm not doing it if I can't do a good job. I also have never liked jumping other people's trains. And you and Richard both have worked with or are working with these guys. So thanks for your help and good luck with these guys. Either way this is super cool. 8)

And thanks again to Richard Ross.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Anthony Calfo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Hey, Amy :)

I obviously don't know your full circumstances, but I'm inclined (strongly) here to say "don't count these out." They really aren't much work at all... particularly for someone of your considerable(!) skill set. Really, among the commonly imported species, you can scarcely find an easier cephalopod, or at least it makes a top choice. I've kept a wide range of members in this class (dating back to the esteemed Dr. Carlson giving generously me a tutorial on Nautilus by snail mail and fax!) and like so many other cephs, getting past shipping sensitivities is much of the challenge.
Anthony Calfo

Postby Thales » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:59 pm

The challenges raising/breeding S. bandensis are:

1) Enough appropriate food. They eat a lot, 3-5 prey items a day when small.
2) Outgrowing prey size. As they grow, the need different sized foods.
3) Weaning onto frozen. Though not now difficult, it takes time and effort.
4) Refining groups. When they start to show sexual characteristics, the males will eventually need to be separated to prevent them damaging each other.
* WIth this species, there is no reason to purchase wild collected adults. They ship badly and are near the end of their lifecycle. Eggs are often available, and are a much better option.
Thales

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Well they are super cool. I just have SO much on me right now. I just don't know......we'll see.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Greshamh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:41 pm

Thales wrote:Much about this species, husbandry, breeding etc, is available on http://www.TONMO.com in the cuttlefish care section.

This article is still pretty up to date on everything other than refining groups of S. bandensis:
http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/cuttlefish.php

A more scientifical article is available in the 2010 Drum and Croaker available here:
http://www.colszoo.org/internal/drumcroaker.htm

Excellent articles as usual Rich. Your writing style is one that is easy to follow and read :)

You must be stoked to have an article in Drum and Croaker, I know I would be :D
Greshamh

Postby Diane_B » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:42 am

Updates? More pics of the little cuties?

I've rather unexpectedly acquired a clutch of bandensis eggs myself, so I'm curious as to how yours are faring.
Diane_B

Postby Anthony Calfo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Cheers Diane :)

Mine are doing well, hon. Eating large Amphipods and sampling enriched mysis now (small variety). I'm off to Mexico shortly for a conference but will try to shoot new pictures next week on return.

kindly, Anth-
Anthony Calfo

Return to Cephalopoda - Octopus, Squid, & Cuttlefish