Breeding the flamboyant cuttlefish, Metasepia pfefferi

Breeding the flamboyant cuttlefish, Metasepia pfefferi

Postby FuEl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:26 pm

I might be lucky enough to land my hands on a few. Does anyone here have experience with regards to their young? I have had an opportunity to try to raise one of their young a few years ago. The juvenile measured approximately 1cm from hatch and already possesses the colouration of the adults. The problem was that I did not manage to get the juvenile feeding. Another MOFIB member, Dr Hsu, also did not manage to get his juvenile to eat. I understand that newly hatched cuttlefish do not eat for the first few days but dying of starvation? I tried everything from amphipods to very very small crabs from the beach, baby guppies and got 0 strike response.

One thing I was told is that these cuttlefish originate from slightly cooler waters. I did not have a chiller back then and the water temperature I was keeping the juvenile in was most probably around 28 degrees celcius. Could it have been too hot for the little guy?

I need to find out more before committing as these cuttlefish do not come cheap.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Re: Breeding the flamboyant cuttlefish, Metasepia pfefferi

Postby DrHsu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:45 am

Thales would be the guy to chime in here - I think he might be the only other person in this forum with real life experience with the flamboyants...

I found an article where is says a strontium deficiency can result in poor neurological development and have always wondered if those babies we had were deficient in some way - maybe the spawning was a "last ditch" effort at passing on her legacy...

They should do well in you new nano - let me know if you want to do a co-op effort with them :wink:
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby FuEl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:05 am

A co-op effort would be good. Since I am going to be very cash-strapped soon...

The nano is out for them, they'll eat my precious gobies and dartfish.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi my Singapore friends! I would be glad to see this animal once !!! Here they are extremly priced - if available. I did breed bandensis and they did feed easy. Best chance is a big tank with Chaetomorpha and tonx of critters
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby FuEl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi Peter,
When these first came into Singapore, they were very highly priced as well. However, not many people would pay such a high price for animals which will live only 1-2 years. Furthermore they usually come in around adult size so that will only leave maybe around a year maximum?

Li Chieh,
If we breed these, maybe we can consider letting off the babies small to people with dedicated refugiums? Maybe limit each customer to 2 babies such that the amphipod population does not get depleted too much in their refugiums. Once we sell off a few babies we should be able to get some of our capital back. I feel that this would be a better approach rather than try to raise all the babies with our limited food supplies.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby jhauris » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 am

Hello!
Might I suggest checking out TONMO.com for suggestions as well? There are a number of people who keep cuttlefish there, and a few who have bred them as well (S. bandensis). There are also journals kept which chronicle the experiences of people with their cuttlefish. Judging by the small size of a typical refugium, and the reported amounts these animals eat, I would worry about using it as the sole source of food for two voracious cuttlefish. It would be fantastic if you were successful in your endeavors, and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience there. Good luck!

-Jon
jhauris

Return to Cephalopoda - Octopus, Squid, & Cuttlefish