Raising Sepia Bandensis/ Dwarf Cuttlefish

Re: Sepia Bandensis/ Dwarf Cuttlefish

Postby EasterEggs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:45 am

Suzy, I just found this thread. What a fascinating creature!! Did you find out how long they live? I might try these out too if I could figure out a food source. What is their adult size? I'm going to have to Google these guys.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:37 pm

rortreefer wrote:lol Yes I would be able to pick them up pretty easily. And how would I be getting on tomorrow!?!? ;-)

Your lfs can order eggs. I think. Hawaii is on the other side of the planet...But, in Utah, on the mainland, my LFS can get them on every order list. I think they are plentiful, so far. The eggs don't need any special treatment, just a clean environment that water flows through.

EasterEggs wrote:Suzy, I just found this thread. What a fascinating creature!! Did you find out how long they live? I might try these out too if I could figure out a food source. What is their adult size? I'm going to have to Google these guys.

They have a very short lifespan. I think we can only plan on a year or less. Our aquarium has planned a display so I hope I can plan it right to always have one on display. But, I think we can get them to breed in captivity. I hope I can! It is a volunteer job but I am so afraid they will fire me!

But, our giant pacific octopus (same family) seems to always have a new baby in quarantine. You know how time is weird? I know it is not that way, but their lifespans are so short, that it seems like we just got one. put him on display and then we get another, waiting to go on display.

I have been trying to prepare for this challenge. I don't know if you guys get attacked to your fish ( I know he/she is not a fish!) but I already dread the day when this amazing creature leaves me. From what I have read, they go through a period of ......dying. There is even a special word for it, I don't want to learn to spell, yet. Scensence? I watched our last female GPO do it, and it sucked. It hurts to watch this amazing animal for a while, then watch it die slowly....

Maybe you shouldn't get one...
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Suzy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Adult size? Tiny!

Think yellow tang size but round! Think smaller than a puffer but bigger than a cow fish!

Ok, so I dont really know how big cow fish get......

I think I am going to keep this in a 12 inch tall tank....We'll see! He/she is really tiny now.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:48 am

Oh, that's bigger than I was thinking though.
EasterEggs

Postby Thales » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:13 pm

EasterEggs wrote:Suzy, I just found this thread. What a fascinating creature!! Did you find out how long they live? I might try these out too if I could figure out a food source. What is their adult size? I'm going to have to Google these guys.

http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/sepia-bandensis.php

and

http://packedhead.net/2010/display-husbandry-and-breeding-of-dwarf-cuttle/
Thales

Postby Suzy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi, Thales! I have been missing you. Thanks for reading and posting! You are right about these little creatures. They are so cool!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:16 am

I did some reading from the links posted - very cool creatures!
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:30 am

Ok, I moved the baby to a new nursery, clean enough to get a photo! He/she/it is still smaller than a grape but bigger than a pea! The 3 at the aquarium are still doing well, not on display yet because of their size.

Weird thing. The one at home never inks. Even when I am chasing him with a ladle to move into the new nursery. He flashes colors, so know he has ink!
Last edited by Amie on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed broken image links
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby snowmaker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:20 am

Nice you have kept them going!

My brood rarely inked and if any did it was a very small amount. These are incredibly easy to catch as well. A small glass or dip-n-pour in tank and just slowly guide them in with your other hand.

My female lived 8 months and the male hung in there for a couple more mos.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
--Aristotle
snowmaker

Postby Suzy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Did you notice a difference between male and female as fas as inking?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Suzy, I just picked up some Cuttle eggs from the LFS that arrived as a "bonus" from the supplier. Right, nice bonus. Anyway, some of them already hatched and I'm not ready yet. They are big though, like 1/2". I'm worried they are not bandensis. What do you think?
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Ooops! I missed your reply. How did they turn out? Amazing creatures, aren't they?

Until they begin senescence. Now, I have seen 3 little creatures do this, and each one has been a tiny bit different. Bogart, my first, entered senescence slowly, becoming lethargic and unable to catch his food. He would see it, but not be able to catch it. Then, after like 3 days, one morning he was a pile goo....The second 3 died at the aquarium, when I was not around. They were in a back area, and I had not been watching them with the assigned aquarist. But, baby Bogart is now breaking my heart. For more than a week he has been really active, and when I walk in the room, he acts like a puppy, trying to get my attention. But, when I put a shrimp in the tank for him, he chases it down, reaches out for it, misses and the shrimp jumps back. He tries again and again and eventually gets it. But, it is almost like his feeler can't grasp it.

I wonder if other inverts do this type of end stage antics, but we don't see it because we don't watch them closely enough?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Suzy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Last edited by Amie on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed video
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Previous

Return to Cephalopoda - Octopus, Squid, & Cuttlefish