[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Oxymonacanthus longirostris - BREEDING LOG (Survival log)

Oxymonacanthus longirostris - BREEDING LOG (Survival log)

Oxymonacanthus longirostris - BREEDING LOG (Survival log)

Postby mpedersen » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby joefrith » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:55 am

Haha, well if anybody can do it, its you matt. I've heard that packing bits of Mysis or other food into the pores of an acro skeleton may work. Good luck :wink: Would love to see some pics of these beauties too.
><º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
joefrith

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:48 am

Matt,

we have several long term survival records here in my part of the world, but all only in large tanks (+ 300g) with intense Acropora corals. In these tanks the fish can not harm the corals to much. Although they do it frozen or live mysid shrimps they seem to need the SPS coral polyps to survive. I am affraid in your rather small tanks this will not be working unless you can provide a steady flow of Acropora corals
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby coralhead317 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:47 am

Matt I saw your post in the marketplace for "browned out" acropora which I think is a great idea for keeping this fish alive. You might try to make some contacts in frags.org to find fraggers who have a bunch of these.

Also, I wonder if there is a way to make mysis (or other food) mashed onto coral skeletons more nutritious for these fish (as Peter indicated that there is something nutritionally different between coral polyps and other foods). It might be the presence of xooxanthellae in the coral tissue that this fish need to survive. I believe that Algaegen cultures a xooxanthellae as I think they claim to have a xooxanthellae as a component of their Phycopure product. Perhaps you could soak or inject your food items with this algae? I realize that it is a ton of work, but without a 300 gallon tank stocked full of acropora this type of supplimentation might be needed.

Just a thought. Good luck.

John
coralhead317

Postby mpedersen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanks for all the comments thus far - let me catch you all up on where we are.

1-26-08

So, I see these fish at an area shop on Thursday, 1-24. I ask the kid at the shop if they are eating, he says "I don't know, I'll know in an hour and a half when I feed them...". UM...thanks for the smartass answer. he does mention that the fish only arrived the day before (1-23). I don't really remember the exact details, but I vaguely recall how to sex them. I *think* there are 2 females and 1 male.

So, I come home, and look up the sexing information and post it here - http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1913 I put out feelers on the local club forums to see if there are local folks willing to help supply "Feeder" acroporas so I can maintain these fish - surprsingly I get a good response of people willing to help out. I call the shop on Friday, 1-25, and ask if the filefish are still there. The kid that answers and looks says they only have ONE.

I had written them off, and was out with Renee driving around, making our tour of area shops, just to get out of the house this winter. Well, I decided I might as well go drive over the shop that had these, and sure enough, all three Orangespots are still there. Now, we ARE talking about a fish that's basically the equivalent of "cut flowers" in the hobby (don't remember who said that, but someone termed all the coral eating fish as such)...

I ask the kids in the shop if they are eating, the kid says "Oh yeah, they're eating MYSIS".

"Sure", I think to myself. I request to see them fed. They begrudgingly oblige, and sure enough, they have ZERO interest in mysis. I ask if they have any live brine....."nope".

I mull this one over. I'm not optimistic - I give these guys 25% odds at survival at best. It is rumored to happen once in a while, and I'm willing to do what it takes. The kid suggests I wait and see if they're still there next week...that's when I know they are doomed to die at the shop, or in the tank of some unsuspecting hobbyist, if I don't intervene.

Now, I'm up for a challenge, and I'm prepared to at least TRY some unorthodox things to see if I can't get this male & female to survive (did I mention that it turned out that they had 2 males, both looking OK, and that the lone female also happened to be the emaciated specimen?).

Brought the fish home, put the female in a breeder net with a clown and 2 Tiger Shrimp (like peppermints). The male gets the run of the tank (they are in the former seahorse tank with the fire clowns, bangaiis, blue bar psuedos and Psychodelic Mandarins (S. picturatus). I picked up some live adult brine, and we offer it to both before heading out for our evening plans. I also offered the female a Digitata frag and a Monti confusa-type frag. She nipped a few times at the Digitata and killed, but did not eat, an adult live brine shrimp. The male showed interest in teh live brine, but that's about it... That wraps up 1-26!
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:26 pm

1-27-08

So today I've simply thrown the gamut of food at them. The male continues to mostly fight with his reflection, although he nipped at something in the substrate. He's surely interested by live adult brine, but I havent' seen him eat.

The FEMALE has been offered a buffet including frozen mysis and frozen brine, live adult brine, live brine shrimp nauplii, half a gallon's worth of adult and juvie Tiggerpods. In addition, both the Orange Digitata frag AND the Monti-confusa (aka. LUMP) frag were sitting there wtih full polyp extension...I don't think she's touching them. I added in a frag of Acropora (a tricolor type I had that's been brown since I added it to my tank) and a Ponape Birdsnest frag. Haven't noticed any interest. I did see her attack and kill, but not eat, an adult brine shrimp.

The male continues to occasionally nip at the substrate, and this time I think I saw what he was nipping at - a single polyp of Xenia. I loked at my tank, which is covered in Xenia, and had an idea. Took out a nice small stalk of Xenia and threw it in with the female. It only took her a couple moments to start nipping it. I threw down a frag of Xenia where the male is hanging out - I don't think he's even noticed it yet.

And that'll bring you all up to speed on where I am less than 24 hours in. I'm starting to reach out to those folks who volunteered up browned out or fragged acros to try as food...that IS what they are supposed to eat afterall..we'll see...

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Here's pictures of the female:

Here's pictures of the male (editorial NOTE by MP - I later figured out that the fish below is actually a female variant):
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby aomont » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:17 pm

Matt, this is a gorgeous species each pic I see is sort of amazing. The shape the colors... just gorgeous. The girl looks very thin though. Hope they eat something !
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby mpedersen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:12 pm

I was generally given at least 12 inches (25 cm) worth of "Green Slimer" Frags (Acropora youngei?) by a local aquarist this evening. I've offered a few of the pieces to the Filefish, and am holding the rest in reserve for the moment. The male is looking and I've seen him take at least one nip...not sure how their coral feeding really works, so not sure what to expect to see if they are actually feeding on the coral frags or not...

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby William » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:47 pm

I won one of these fish in a drawing at an aquarium club meeting a few years ago. I put it in a 20H packed with acro's. It lasted 2 months. :(
Will
William

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:03 pm

mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:57 pm

mpedersen
Read-Only

Re:

Postby vaporize » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:35 am

vaporize

Postby mpedersen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 am

Sad news, although not surprised by this one - the female died around 9 PM tonight. Male is still around, but getting noticeably thinner and has yet to attempt to eat anything...

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby DrHsu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:18 am

Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby mpedersen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:53 pm

mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:09 am

Video from 1-29-08

The male Filefish, chowing down on various SPS frags:

[youtube]MxhZLur9PyE[/youtube]

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby aomont » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Anderson

aomont

Postby mpedersen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:13 pm

Well here's the deal. I don't know if I mentioned it here, but I took the Digitata frag out of the tank and placed it back in the SPS tank. I wanted to see if it had suffered any real damage from the Filefish's feeding behavior (this is the frag that the Filefish was munching on in the beginning of the vid).

So I'm going to post two pictures to prove my point - one was munched on for 24 hours, one wasn't. Don't cheat (i.e. don't look at the vid) - which frag was the one that the Filefish grazed on????

[]http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef08/DSCN3737_digi_1.jpg[/img]

[g]http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef08/DSCN3739_digi_2.jpg[/img][/img]
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby aomont » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:20 pm

I would vote for the second. :? What do I win ??? :lol:
Anderson.
Anderson

aomont

Postby aomont » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:22 pm

Looking again I doný know.... :(
Anderson.
Anderson

aomont

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:07 pm

mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby mpedersen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Well updates updates. I got home last night from a long trip around the western burbs...started off at Jason's Place ( www.yzreef.net ) - Jason gave me a slew of browned out frags to try out as "feeders" for the filefishes. There's a pale green Digitata, a brown "purple" digitata, a blue tip stag, another stag-type, multiple pieces of a tabling acro, a rounded-tip birdsnest, a monti confusa. Basically, a wide range of SPS to chose from! Considering that the male is starting to look a little thin, I'm hoping he finds something filling!

Which brings me to my 2nd stop - the shop that I got the files from. You all may remember that there were 3, and I took the best looking and the worst looking. Well, a week later, the one I left there was STILL there and here's the catch - it was EATING Rod's Food! I'm still not sure what sex this middle one is - at the shop it had a solid black ventral flap, but now here as soon as I put it in the tank it's orange like the existing male. Will this cause chaos?

This morning, the original male is just chowing down on ALL the frags I tossed in last night. The new one, male OR female, is trying to get in on the action and occasionally sneaks a bit or two, but the larger male sends the message that this is HIS coral patch.

I fed some Rod's food this morning and the new file did take a couple bits of food from the water column. I also offered up live brine, which the exisitng male FINALLY tried, although he did not eat it.

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby joefrith » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Maybe its just a matter of time before they transition on to alternative foods. Atleast, thats how it was with my pipefish. It took about a month for them to accept mysis shrimp.
><º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
joefrith

Postby mpedersen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:26 pm

2-5-08

So the NEW female, yes, I think she is a she, as they are both getting along and hanging out together, the NEW female eats LIVE ADULT BRINE with gusto. Both continue to pick at the SPS frags in the tank, although I still cannot see any noticeable "feeding damage" on these corals. I'm stumped.

What I have noticed is that both of these filefish are eating HAIR ALGAE off the breeder basket holding our female Blue Bar Dottyback (Pseudochromis cyanotaenia). The female Filefish has a huge, fat belly, while the male is not putting on that type of weight, and both fish are still showing the "pinched nape" indicative of a fish having nutritional issues....
mpedersen
Read-Only

Next

Return to Monacanthidae - Filefish