Oxymonacanthus longirostris-Weaning and spawning.

Re: Oxymonacanthus longirostris-Weaning and spawning.

Postby Luis A M » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Sad to find one dead,at 28 DPH-5mm TL :(
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:43 pm

At 29DPH,They show little growth.The snout is a little bit longer and the black spine is about half the lenght of the larva.
But the more remarkable change is in the propulsion system.Young larvae oscillate the tail,but only the point of it, at high speed,so that one gets the image of a blurred horizontal tail fin,like a shrimp.
While now the caudal fin is not used and propulsion is done by undulating dorsal and anal fins,same as seen in adult files and triggers.This allows the larva to swim backwards! :shock:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Update (or lack thereoff :( )
The last larvae vanished.And the pair of breeders died one night when I was in vacations.Power failed and probably the air back up didn´t work either.
Too bad,they were a nice large healthy pair.And such good spawners...
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:37 pm

And I bought a new pair :|
Male is medium sized,female small.Both are emaciated,perhaps not so much as they used to come.Active and interested in food though.
Amazingly they started feeding right away on BBS,and soon seafood mix and then pellets.No need to start them with live Acropora,not even needed to place the food on coral branches.
Not long ago,oxy files were impossible to keep,later we could painfully manage to train them to non coral food.And now they are easy to feed since day one! :shock:
I´m not sure how this can be explained,I first thought it was related to the collection area,but there seems there´s a trend towards easiness :?
Good for us and good for the fish! 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Previous

Return to Monacanthidae - Filefish