Substrate Recipe

Substrate Recipe

Postby 2oceanscorals » Thu May 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Can anyone give me a good recipe of what substrate to add to a yellowhead Jawfish Broodstock tank?

For instance how much fine sand, coarse, mixed shells etc.

what is a good number to keep together in say a 20" X 20" X 12" tank?
2oceanscorals

Re: Substrate Recipe

Postby Kmiec123 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:47 pm

I would say, all of the above. :D I have a Agranite based sand bed 6" deep and a ton of Crushed Coral and shells for larger pieces. I also put in some course calcium reactor media. ;)
Kmiec123

Re: Substrate Recipe

Postby Opah » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:37 am

Mine seem to prefer larger size crushed coral. The bag says 3 mm to 6 mm and manufacturer is carib sea. I do have some smaller sizes of aragonite mixed in too 1mm-3mm and that seems to be good too. My fish don't seem to really care for small shells or fine sand.

I also think it's good to have some larger things in the substrate like rubble or clam shells. Another thing that works for some of them is starting a burrow by placing ~4" pieces of 3/4" PVC in to the substrate with the top of the pvc at substrate surface level.

Number of fish is tricky. If you are going to keep more than one mated pair, I suggest 5 or 6. If there are only 3, you will end up with two or maybe even one due to aggression. Seems like larger groups spread the aggression out.

The biggest issue with these fish is their ability to jump out of the tank. Apparently, they are migrating fish and are very good at finding a way to move. Make sure all overflows and the top are cover with a fine mesh. I am going to try wrapping bird netting (made for ponds) around eggcrate/light diffuser. I've already lost several fish to jumping.
Opah

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish