Opistognathus aurifrons - Tank Surface Area vs Height

Opistognathus aurifrons - Tank Surface Area vs Height

Postby mark_kirkland » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Good evening everyone. This place is a wealth of information so I've been an avid reader here for a while but now I've got a few questions of my own.

I've now got the space to make a proper attempt at breeding marine fish so I've decided to have a crack at the Yellowheaded Jawfish (Opistognathus Aurifrons). I've got a few tanks of varying sizes which I'd like to use as the spawning tank. I'm sure they all have their advantages and disadvantages. They are...

48" x 13 x 16 High

24 x x 15 x 16 High

24 x 12 x 15.5 High

18 x x 13.5 x 25.5 High

I'm concerned the first 3 don't have the height needed however the last rather wonky shaped one has very limited surface area but offers good height. Any thoughts? I'm toying with either a single pair in any of them or possibly pushing it to 2 pairs in the 4ft tank. I'd like to give them as much floor space as possible.

Any input or advice would be apprecaited!

Mark
mark_kirkland

Re: Opistognathus aurifrons - Tank Surface Area vs Height

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Why are you concerned about height exactly? Also, when you say that you are toying with the idea of 2 pair in the 4ft tank, are you going to divide the tank with something? What kind of tank do you currently have set up now?
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby mark_kirkland » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Amie wrote:Why are you concerned about height exactly?

The reason I'm thinking about the height is because I know I'll lose at least 5 or 6 inches to the substrate and it's my understanding that in the wild courtship/posturing rituals can take place several feet above the Jawfish burrows. Obviously several feet of open water isn't viable so I was wondering how big a part tank height plays in the mating process.

Also, when you say that you are toying with the idea of 2 pair in the 4ft tank, are you going to divide the tank with something?

As for the 4ft tank, I was toying with the idea of buying a small group individuals to allow them to form a pair, or pairs, naturally (rather than asking my LFS to get a mated pair in, which could take forever). I could then remove the loners, leaving the pair with as much swimming space as possible.

What kind of tank do you currently have set up now?

I've currently got a 4ft mixed reef and have been keeping marines for a few years now. I've also got a small tank running for dwarf seahorses (H. Zosterae) which I'll be picking up in a few weeks time. I've been practicing my copepod and artemia production and enrichment and currently have 3 copepod species doing well (Monia, Tisbe and Nitokra) and one not so well (Tonsa).

I've had a browse through the threads on here however there isn't really any mention of tank dimensions. Maybe it's not a major concern?
mark_kirkland

Postby Amie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Where did you get your monia copepods, I've been looking all over for them?
Amie

Postby mark_kirkland » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi Amie, I was kindly sent a starter culture a few months ago from a dwarf seahorse breeder in Holland called Tim. I'm sure he uses these forums, just need to email and ask what his user name is.

He sent me them free of charge (apart from P+P) on the condition that once I had a stable and sustainable population I would pass starter cultures on to other hobbysits. I think I'm getting to the stage that is possible, I don't know, is there any way I can ship them succesfully to the US? I'm not even sure if they produce resting eggs, or I could try posting some of the detritus from the bottom of one of the containers in the hope that something eventually hatches out?

Any comments on my jawfish broodstock tanks? I'm swaying towards keeping a single pair in the 4ft tank and using one of the 2fts as a sump and the other as a larval rearing tank (should I ever get to that stage).

Cheers!
Mark
mark_kirkland

Postby Amie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Darn, didn't notice that you were in the UK until now. No one in the US seems to have the moina copepods. I'm not sure about the resting eggs, might be worth a try.

I can't help you with the height issues, but I know someone who can...I'll point him to this thread.
Amie

Postby mark_kirkland » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:18 pm

No problem, if you don't mind paying the postage I don't mind trying to send some over. I could send a bottle of live and a bottle of detritus in the same package, no idea how much it would cost or how long it would take though.
mark_kirkland

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:25 pm

I think he means Moina.Not copepods but cladocerans.Water fleas,like Daphnia.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby mark_kirkland » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Luis A M wrote:I think he means Moina.Not copepods but cladocerans.Water fleas,like Daphnia.

Ah yes, thats the very ones. Am I right or wrong in saying they can be used in the same way as Calanoid Copepods?
mark_kirkland

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:19 pm

They hatch much larger than copepods.So you can´t raise larvae with them.Though good food for horses and pipes or any large fry :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby mark_kirkland » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:08 am

Thank's Luis!
mark_kirkland

Postby Tengels » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:51 am

My cb jaw fish are spawning in a 50 g tank , 12 " high , with just 3" substrate . There are 4 pairs and one solo , in addition to 25 A.percula.
Heigth isn't that important ,and sex happens in their burrows ...

Thomas
Tengels

Postby mark_kirkland » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks Thomas, thats reassuring to know. Can you seperate the larvae without interferance from the other fish?

Mark
mark_kirkland

Postby Tengels » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Larvae hatch at night , when other fish are sleeping ...but larvae seemes to be much more fragile than , for example , clownfish larvae.I had the worst losses the first day(s) , and I'm pretty sure that was because of transfer stress.They must be handled with great care.

Thomas
Tengels

Postby mark_kirkland » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:10 am

Thank's tengels, I'm actually beginning to think it might be a bit of a lost cause with regards to larvae feeding. I get the impression large amounts of copepod nauplii or possibly s type rotifers are the only way to go, neither of which are available here in the UK.
mark_kirkland

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish