St. Valentine's Day love story: Opistognathus rosenblatti

St. Valentine's Day love story: Opistognathus rosenblatti

Postby Anthony Calfo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Considering the day... I thought this was cute. A pair of Blue Spot jawfish that I have in QT is...errr, was separated by a screen divider. I generally do this with fishes that I have any worry about conspecific aggression and O. rosenblatti certainly warrants the caution. So, I have what I thought was a likely male (extended upper maxilla and long taper to the body from above) and a likely female (quite diminished skull size relative to length of others in the group and distinctly larger body cavity girth when viewed from above) on either side of the tank.

In honor of Valentine's day, the male jumped over the divider (and under the glass canopy) to get to the females side whereby he promptly commenced to digging a four exit nest for the both of them overnight. Nothing stops true love :)
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Re: St. Valentine's Day love story: Opistognathus rosenblatti

Postby Jhawkor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Anthony Calfo wrote:Considering the day... I thought this was cute. A pair of Blue Spot jawfish that I have in QT is...errr, was separated by a screen divider. I generally do this with fishes that I have any worry about conspecific aggression and O. rosenblatti certainly warrants the caution. So, I have what I thought was a likely male (extended upper maxilla and long taper to the body from above) and a likely female (quite diminished skull size relative to length of others in the group and distinctly larger body cavity girth when viewed from above) on either side of the tank.

In honor of Valentine's day, the male jumped over the divider (and under the glass canopy) to get to the females side whereby he promptly commenced to digging a four exit nest for the both of them overnight. Nothing stops true love :)

Haha! Are you going to keep them together now?
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby Anthony Calfo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Why yes... and give them more privacy :)
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby Jhawkor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Anthony Calfo wrote:Why yes... and give them more privacy :)

May they give you many offspring. :D
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish