Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons) Head Patterning

Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons) Head Patterning

Postby ho.alfc » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi Jawfish enthusiasts,

As some of you might have noticed, yellowhead jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons) can have different black patterns on their heads and throat folds. The patterning is tied to geographic location of origin. I am conducting a small survey to try to get a general consensus. Do you have any preference on the look of your yellowhead jawfish.

Please complete the following survey, its only has one question.

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=MHJHG_95f4021f (right click to open in new window)

Thank you!

You can follow the results here: http://www.KwikSurveys.com/results-overview.php?surveyID=MHJHG_95f4021f&mode=4 (right click to open in new window)
ho.alfc

Re: Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons) Head Patterning

Postby jawfish » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:36 am

There is a brief section with reference to opistognathus aurifrons regional dimorphism in the following paper :

A new sexually dimorphic jawfish (OPISTOGNATHUS; Opistognathidae) from the bahamas. By James E Bohlke.

You can check out the section you need for free on google books .

Also i dont have a preference on the region as i view the difference to small to worry about.

Hope this helps.

Mark
jawfish

Postby William » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:54 pm

My preference was not one of the choices. Personally I would like a pair of each variant.
Will
William

Postby spawner » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:03 pm

Is this some thing that there is a preference for? Think of it like clownfish. It took years before people really had a good market for different color morphs, or it took years to get different color morphs. Color is important but until you have a large number of fish in the market people might not care what color morph you have, they will just love having a fish that eats and lives in your system.
spawner

Re: Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons) Head Patter

Postby BaboonScience » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:00 am

Interesting that nearly 2/3 of your poll liked the jawfish with the most dark markings. Also interesting that there are so many variants.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Suzy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:17 am

Very interesting.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby llasseter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 pm

I had a mated pair with no markings. Mine were collected out of Tavernier FL. I really don't have a preference as to type.

Back when I was breeing them, I had some communication with a grad student from another university who was working on them as well. If you are looking for a good read on this species, look up the masters thesis of Adeljean Ho, titled GEOGRAPHIC MORPHISM AND POPULATION GENETIC STRUCTURE OF YELLOWHEAD JAWFISH, OPISTOGNATHUS AURIFRONS.

Landon
llasseter

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 pm

I like no black. I have associated no black with more intense iridescence when the fish ages, but I'm not sure how true that really is.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish