Setting up Breeding Tank - Opistognathus aurifrons

Setting up Breeding Tank - Opistognathus aurifrons

Postby Arc Katana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:33 pm

So I've picked up a breeding pair (supposed) of Opistognathus aurifrons, and am thinking this for how to breed/raise them.

Tank - 30 X High. Doing this as I'd like to actually give them a solid amount of substrate - perhaps as much as six inches or so. The substrate is a combination of sand, coral, and smashed up live rock. This should give a nice mix of sizing. I will also include some pvc piping - 1.5 inch diameter about seven or eight inches long. The back and sides will be painted black.

I am choosing the 30XH simply for two reasons 1) Tall enough for a deep substrate, and 2) Tall enough for courtship displays.

Since the methods that I've read have all been using large amounts of either pods and or plankton, I intended to use the tank itself as a breeding tank for the pods.

Thats the general low down of whats in store. I'll continue this thread once the specifics start to happen (including pictures).

Thanks, and please feel free to chime in with any information you might want to share.

Edited for Species!
Last edited by Arc Katana on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arc Katana

Re: Setting up Breeding Tank

Postby Kmiec123 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:31 pm

I'm also looking into this species. Good luck with your mission. ;) What type of fish do you have? Just as a suggestion, you may want the title of your tread to reflect the name of the species to make it more search-able in the future. If you want, let me know and I will change it for you.
And pictures are always welcome.! :D
Kmiec123

Re: Setting up Breeding Tank - Opistognathus aurifrons

Postby Arc Katana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:54 am

Hey thanks for that information Carl - totally slipped my mind! I'll be trying to get Opistognathus aurifrons to breed. My setup could seem a bit odd - I'll be putting in pictures as everything gets settled. When they arrive tomorrow the pair will be in QT for a couple weeks. Once they go into the breeding tank, I'll start with the pictures and the set up. Ordering copepods tonight, so I should have a couple cultures ready for eggs if/when.

Thanks!
Arc Katana

Postby Arc Katana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:28 am

The pair arrived this morning and are being acclimated in QT. A little worried about one - Fed Ex decided to deliver them to the wrong address. Needless to say the low 44 F degree weather probably didn't help. Crossing fingers all will work out. Pictures up when they come out of QT and into the breeding tank.
Arc Katana

Postby Arc Katana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Happy to report all is well on the home front. Came home tonight to find them together. Better news is that they are eat Selcon enriched artemia - devouring it actually. Once they make it out of QT they will get nothing but live foods to get them ready.

Cheers.
Arc Katana

Postby Arc Katana » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:33 pm

And today the sorry starts. The female is just up and disappeared. Took all the live rock out, the tank is completely covered, and she's nowhere to be found.

Guess it looks like I'll be back looking for brood stock...
Arc Katana

Postby Arc Katana » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:05 pm

And on that note...

The female is in the tank, evidently had made a very, very shallow tunnel. They are both doing pretty well after adding more substrate of various size. My only concern is the Rainfordi Goby that is in there. How I'll get him out is anyone's guess.

I've added macro algae (Maiden's hair, shaving brush) in there to help with any possible algae blooms.

The reports of her demise have greatly been exaggerated!
Arc Katana

Postby Arc Katana » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Happy to report both folks are doing well - in fact they've quite taken to the "Gumbo" diet I've been feeding them - they are plump! Both are spending more and more time out. If all goes well I'm hoping for eggs within two to three weeks.
Arc Katana

Postby Arc Katana » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:58 am

Just an update:

With three pairs now things should start picking up. I've noticed that while these particular pairs were not from a colony (Captured pairs in different locations), they do really enjoy being together. That said there is a territory issue that comes up. Mostly a show of whose mouth is bigger, but an occasional fin nip happens if the intruder gets too close. There is no pursuit however - once the intruder starts to move along, the aggression ends.

One male in particular is extraordinary in his coloration. I'll try to get pics up when he's fully out. The largest of them all his coloration far surpasses any of the other males.
Arc Katana

Postby cantagious » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:37 pm

PLEASE pictures pictures pictures !!!!
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

GOING GREEN IS SAVING GREEN
cantagious

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish