Amy's (Midnight Angel) bluespots

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:02 pm

Amy asked me to post these bluespot videos for her:

I forgot I had video of my male. I didn't get any of him holding. At that time I didn't want to spook him by taking pics.......I wish I had now. He never held for long anyway. I still have not figured out how to post pics on MOFIB so I just figured I'd send this to you by e-mail.

I don't know if you can see how fat he was but he had ate a nest the day before. And as you can see he was not young. Some people have said they only spawn when they are young.

The pair......not sure why she was hanging out there all the time but it was her spot. These guys are just so cute. I'm so sad now.......damn it.

EDIT: Video removed by JimWelsh at Amy's request.

And I think it might help some with telling sexes. Plus I miss those two ( real pets) so it would be cool to sorta pay tribute to them. The female was killed by aiptasia and the male was killed by the butterfly fish that I got to kill the aiptasia. So if you ever have a bad fish day you can think back on this story. It should have had a better ending. But at least these guys can encourage others to try. So for that yes please post them. I just want to see somebody get babies now and I don't care who it is.
Last edited by Amie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed link to the video at Amy's request.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Re: Amy's (Midnight Angel) bluespots

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:10 pm

Thank you Andy :D If I would have known you were going to quote me I would have used better language :lol:

I feel terrible that I let a spawning pair of bluespots die in such a stupid way. But I have a lot going on here in my defense :oops:

And again I hope this was not in vain. I hope this will encourage others. :wink:

Amy Drehmel
Midnight Angel

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Oops. Sorry. I thought you wanted the story, too. I can remove the text if you'd like.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:51 pm

No don't remove it. It's just that I said a bad word :lol: I hope no one minds :lol:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:20 pm

Ah, you know, that still counts as PG-13 these days. And, I understand. That's probably the least of the words I use when I lose a fish.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 pm

That's not what I usually say when I loose a fish either :)

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 am

There is someone that I need to say thanks to. Back when I got my first bluespots I was not aware of MOFIB. So I had no knowledge of people trying to keep these guys . I went into this blindly at first. I had two females in a ten gallon tank. I lost one and I still to this day don't know why. But I asked Matthew Wittenrich aka Witt why he thought she died. He explained to me that it was not uncommon for bluespots to died of unexplained death due to collection practices. He advised that I get a group and put them in a larger tank. I believe always in giving credit where it is due. So I have to say thanks to Witt for advising me and encouraging this. I wish it would have went better but at least there were three spawns by these two fish. So thanks Matt. :D And thanks again Andy for posting my videos.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:59 pm

I wanted to share this to encourage others. But I confess that last night was the first time I had read all the old post about these fish. So I feel that although it is the responsible thing to do to post my success it is also important for everyone to read all the post. I'm sure most people do read all post. But I didn't and had no idea all the past trouble people were having. All I know to say at this point is good luck to everyone. And everyone should be sure to read bajabum's thread on bluespots as well.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby cantagious » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:11 am

Are you referring to the post Blue Spots Arrive
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

GOING GREEN IS SAVING GREEN
cantagious

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Yep that's the one. I know that you have recently put a lot of money into these guys so be sure to read it. We are not sure exactly what is causing their problems. But it sometimes takes a little while before you see them looking bad. So just keep a close eye on yours. And keep us all posted on how yours are doing. I think at this point it would be really interesting to see if there are any people who have keep the same bluespots for over a year. And if they have we should get as much information about their set ups as we can.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:05 pm

I have been super busy here these days with a new project. But I thought I would take time out to at least update this old thread. I set up another blue spot jawfish tank. And I have a new female that is ready to go. I'm just not sure if the other one with her is a male or not. Anyway here is a link to my web album (last pictures) and you can see that my little lady is about to pop. I sure hope her friend is a male.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SeaStarInno ... directlink

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby FishboyBT » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Wow, she looks great, very gravid. Good luck with the pairing, somebody really needs to crack the case on this fish! By the way, you have some amazing fish in that gallery.
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby Chad Vossen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:30 pm

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/03/opis ... rom-japan/
linked site wrote:Sure the fish is cold water but technically so are blue spot jawfish.

Could this be why blue spots are difficult?
Chad Vossen

Postby Midnight Angel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Thanks Blake :wink: And Chad you could be right. My other pair spawned in a tank that stayed 77-80 though. :? But I think I got really lucky with that one. This new tank (30 gallon) stays around 76-77 fwiw. And btw I have had this pair for almost a year. It has taken that long for my female to look like this. I'm just trying not to think much about these guys so that I don't get my hopes up. But the good news is that this time my tank is aiptashia (hope I spelled that right) free :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby KMB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 am

Wow, she sure does look like she's going to pop!

Have fun with the larvae :D

Karen
KMB

Postby LargeAngels » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:20 am

Good luck. Blue spots are one of my favorites. Temp. may be the reason why many get diseases and don't survive long.

There was some articles somewhere about how difficult it was raising the larvae. For some reason I thought maybe Luis is the one that posted that info.
LargeAngels

Postby Midnight Angel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks to my two favorite MOFIB members for posting. 8) I do adore you guys :!:
Karen I sure hope that they spawn but like I said I'm just trying not to get too excited.
And Stefan thanks for the help as always. I owe you these days more than you know :!: So a big special thanks to you :wink:
And thanks again to Andy for posting this..........this was my first MOFIB post. It would be sweet if it had a happy ending....we'll see.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby spawner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:36 pm

Chad Vossen wrote:http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/03/opistognathus-hopkinsi-first-pictures-of-a-live-one-from-japan/
linked site wrote:Sure the fish is cold water but technically so are blue spot jawfish.

Could this be why blue spots are difficult?

Chad, often temperate fish need a photo/therm cycle to spawn. So you want to give them a winter and them warm them up and extend the photoperiod and see if they spawn. This winter might only need to be decreased photoperiod or might need to be both photoperiod and temperature. They migth not even need that. They might only need to hit a certain amount of day light and temperature to start their cycle.
spawner

Postby LargeAngels » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 pm

CICIMAR a marine science research group in La Paz, Mexico bred and grew them up to 1 cm.
LargeAngels

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Well guys my female is huge and my male is flashing all the time. So why won't they just spawn already :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Here is the link as usual to our webalbum. I got some good pics of the male a couple weeks ago. I really hope I can get it again with these two. This time I WILL get pics dang it. Even if it means the male swallows a nest. :wink:

http://picasaweb.google.com/SeaStarInno ... directlink

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby LargeAngels » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:02 am

Awesome Amy.
LargeAngels

Postby BriGuy31+ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:35 am

Any updates? I am attempting this fish but I'm very early in the process.

Any links with confirmed success with this species?
BriGuy31+

Postby LargeAngels » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:34 am

I don't know if Amy is active much here anymore. I'll ask her next time I talk to her.
LargeAngels

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish