My Attempt @ Breeding Blue Spotted Jawfish

My Attempt @ Breeding Blue Spotted Jawfish

Postby TianaWhitney » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 am

We have 2 blue spotted jawfish in our store. In order to keep them from jumping out of our reef system we have them in seperate containers sitting on the sand next to eachother. One definitely has a larger head than the other, & I noticed they werent doing any gill flaring at one another. So just to see what would happen I put the smaller one in with the larger one. Of course the container is too small to expect them to get along perfectly. Immediately the larger one seems bothered with the fact that he hadn't built himself a home & goes right to work, kind of eyeing the smaller one with a sort of curiosity. The smaller one is freaked from just having been moved & is just sitting there, shifting (hopefully) "her" eyes between me & the other jawfish. She flared her gills at him & he ignored it. Except once, they both flared their gills & touched lips but didnt lock onto eachother & didnt move fast. Then I fed them & they ate side by side, the bigger one even brushing up against the smaller one, and there were no issues. The skunk clown in the system wanted some food too, but when he came up to the container the smaller one opened up its mouth in defense & the larger one backed her up. The larger one also kind of turned half black, & his head got lighter in color but the upper half of his body didnt turn white. I'm not sure if theyre male & female but by the way they behaved it seems very likely, especially since the container they were both in was about half a gallon in size. I made sure to seperate them before leaving, but I'm thinking about setting up a tank for them in the back & just going from there. Any input would be great, & I'll definitely keep everyone updated! Breeding these guys is something I've always wanted to do :D I have a picture I'll post tonight too!
TianaWhitney

Re: My Attempt @ Breeding Blue Spotted Jawfish

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Heck, you sound good to go. Good luck! I'd love to see the photo.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Tincman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:40 pm

How much space do these fishes need to feel comfortable enough to breed ? I'm planning to set up a 45 gallon plastic bin that is about 2.5 ft. long, 1.5 ft. wide, 2ft high. I don't want transparent tank cause they freak out everytime I stick my head near the glass.
Tincman

Postby TianaWhitney » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Soooo I put them back together today. They seem to get along just fine still. Here's some pictures of them.

In this picture the male is on the left & the "female" is on the right. He was just tooling around & she was just sitting still. She went to buck up but stopped when he kind of just stopped right infront of her with his head down for a minute then we swam off to the little den he was trying to build. This picture was taken yesterday

In this picture the "female" is on the left & the male is on the right. They're just chillin, waiting for me to feed them some more. Each time I fed if she went for the food first he would let her have it, he would only take it if I put it right by him. I took this today after putting more sand in the container.

I'm kind of nervous because my boss suggested I leave them in there for the night since they had been getting along for the past 4 hours. But I know the container is too small even if they are male & female, something could still happen. I know they wont breed in there. Ah maybe I shouldnt have left them in there, I'm all worried now haha. I'm going to go ahead and set up a tank for them :)
TianaWhitney

Postby TianaWhitney » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Tincman wrote:How much space do these fishes need to feel comfortable enough to breed ? I'm planning to set up a 45 gallon plastic bin that is about 2.5 ft. long, 1.5 ft. wide, 2ft high. I don't want transparent tank cause they freak out everytime I stick my head near the glass.

Thats a great size in my opinion for one pair. But personally I would leave at least one side of the container clear so you can observe their behavior better. They'll feel safer with the other sides blacked out too. But its hard to pair these guys off, and if you arent 100% positive you have a male & female you might end up with 2 dead jawfish. Not to mention some male & female never breed with eachother. If the tank's at least at waist height or higher & you're the only one feeding them/walking by the tank, they'll get used to you pretty quickly. But if the tank is too low & all they see is a pair of legs moving by the tank it can stress them out. They're smart little guys :) And it'll make it even easier for them to get used to you if you train them to target feed, not to mention they'll get more food & make less of a mess that way. Mine eat straight from a syringe & they light up when they see me looking at them bc they think they're gonna get fed.

Now I dont know much of this from experience, its just what I've researched. I've been working with saltwater fish at home & in retail stores for the past 4 1/2 years. I know the personality of every individual fish in my store, & I name my fish at home hahaha & these guys have huge personalities, so obviously I'm not going to agree with a blacked out bin athough I know people use them.
TianaWhitney

Postby BaboonScience » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Tiana
Another member from Georgia. Welcome!
I am very interested in trying jawfish in the future. Just have bigger fish to fry right now. Don't use that expression around the broodstock, makes them paranoid!
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby TianaWhitney » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Haha thank you!

So the jawfish made it through last night & today with no problems at all! I'm so excited! Theres still the possibility that theyre both female but the ones head is obviously bigger than the other & the bigger one is curious of the smaller one. We'll see. I get my tank for them tomorrow. :mrgreen:
TianaWhitney

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish