bluespots killing each other

bluespots killing each other

Postby parrsa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Have any of you had any problems with your bluespots killing each other? I have had 2 of them for about a month now. They are playing musical dens as the other posts mention. I put the two of them in a small cube at the LFS and they didn't do much of anything except investigate each other. Now it has been a month since they have been in my tank (300) and every day I see more damaged fins etc on both of them. Their two main burrows are about 6" away from each other although they have vacation homes too. I see others of you get 4 or even 6 of these guys at once. I was told by my LFS that adding more could help the problem as the picking on each other will be spread around more even if they don't end up pairing up and stopping fighting.

My plan is to get 2-4 more of them, but I was hoping for feedback.

PLEASE comment!!

al
parrsa

Re: bluespots killing each other

Postby Diane_B » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Sounds like you have two boys....
Diane_B

Postby parrsa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:30 pm

okay, but will adding more solve my problem?

here is one of them. note the scars!

parrsa

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:18 am

I have only seen this once and it was not good. I left my males and lost one. I would just take one out. Yes adding more may help. But leaving them will cause stress. My male got an infection from the wounds. This is why I asked someone on another thread if they saw any marks on the body. I have had males in the same tank and they got on fine while two others fought like this. Again I did not separate after I saw the marks and mine died of an infection. To me if it gets this bad it is just too much stress. But I am in no way an expert. But I have kept a few of these guys now. But it only got this bad once for me. Thank you for posting though. I have felt like encouraging people to put these guys together because of the little fighting that I have had. But after this I worry that maybe I got lucky. :| Still though the more we all try and put these fish together the more likely we are of getting babies. Good luck i hope I'm helping and not just rambling on. If you get more please post an update. And let us know if you have any more fighting with other bluespots.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Clownfish75 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 am

Can i ask if we can get some people to post some pics of the best ways to sex this species and other jawfish, this might be invaluable information in the future.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby cantagious » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Midnight Angel wrote:This is why I asked someone on another thread if they saw any marks on the body. Amy

I know the feeling it happened to me I had two that bit each other and would not let go .So I do know I have two male at this point so I separateted and I do have a pair that is in a tank and geting along so all new ones will be put in with the males and have to watch what happen and be ready to separatete and you must have the time to watch them . GOODLUCK
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

GOING GREEN IS SAVING GREEN
cantagious

Postby parrsa » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:39 am

so now I'm very upset. I put 4 more bluespots in and after a few hours, my original tailless bluespot starts flashing. I notice of the 4 new ones, 3 aren't eating. I figured that was just because of their shock at the new tank. A few days go by and I notice what I thought was cuts on 3 of the new ones. One dies. Next the "cuts" on another get bigger. It dies. Repeat process with another. I antibiotic two of them as the LFS looked at a body and said it was a bacterial infection. One dies after a day, and the next a day later. My last one just died, same symptoms. So I have 4 new jaws and 2 old ones that died in a week from what looked like white patches that was eating their skin. What was that???? My original 2 died last, so I figure it was some sort of disease that takes a bit of time to get them.

What happened????!!
parrsa

Postby cantagious » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Hey sorry to hear that but when putting them together trying to get a pair that get along you have to have time to watch and spaces to separate don't give up just move a little slower .
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

GOING GREEN IS SAVING GREEN
cantagious

Postby Tincman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:59 pm

parrsa, Why don't you lower the tank temperature to around 65F. They need to be in cooler water to calm them down and ward off opportunistic infections.
Tincman

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish