try at bluespots

try at bluespots

Postby littlebitoocean » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:31 am

Well, I have 2 that appear to be different in body type and head size . When i put them together they immediately got along. Hope that is a sign that they are a compatible pr. Both eat very well. Do not trust them to jump so have them in a tightly covered tank. I have 6" of substrate in tank with lr. Feeding 2 times a day mix of bloodworms, squid, pe mysis, clam, etc. mixed with my vitamin mix. One had been at a petshop for 2 months the other i had shipped in and is doing well. I am getting 3 more hoping for another pr. The tanks are tall tanks made for seahorses. The system is a 500 system with 12 tanks and a 100 gal sump. There is a protein skimmer, uv filter, fluid sand bed filter, and nitrite reactor on the system. Have to monitor the ph carefully so test e3day. Will they get along if they are not a pr? they seem very compatible.
I have been hoping for some blue spots for some time now and am thrilled i have 2 compatible fish. Will move them to 150 in several months unless they start breeding for me. I am running the temp around 78 a little high for them but they seem to be doing well.
littlebitoocean

Re: try at bluespots

Postby Kmiec123 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:45 am

Any updates on your pair. Hope all is well and best of luck.
Carl
Kmiec123

Postby littlebitoocean » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:51 am

Not yet, They still get along fine. I have read either i have 2 females or a pair. I am getting 6 more today so hope i can do some good comparitive studys on these. My birthday present...... I have built tight hoods out of eggcrate and screen(the plastic kind you buy for your screendoors) So noone can jump. They have been in quarenteen for 2 weeks. My other supply was transhipping them and was having a poor survival rate either from jumping or not making it. So am very excited to get these today.
The one thing about the pr i have is one is building a great nest where the other just tinkers around about building. Makes me think that one is the male. He has river rock for building and he has done a nice job. I have not seen him display however and i have read they display regularly. I have them in subdue lighting as they are deepwater fish and i hope my temp is ok for them. I am thinking of moving a pr into my seahorse tank that is going to be on a chiller at 76.(soon to be) But must fashon a secure hood for it. That is not for a few months yet. It is a 150 and i do think jawfish make good coherts for seahorses.
Wish I could find some Ingens for my 150. That is what i wanted but none available anywhere at any price... I did see some weedies on a price list the other day here in the states.....2000.ea......
littlebitoocean

Postby FishboyBT » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Any pics? Good luck with the new 6!
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby cantagious » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:27 am

Thanks, And good luck and enjoy
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

GOING GREEN IS SAVING GREEN
cantagious

Postby littlebitoocean » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:15 am

Well, all new bluespots have settled in and are making burrows. i had one fight, so know those are males. Seperated into another tank. I think the two i had were females and at least one female in the bunch i got so am hoping for 3 prs. I am watching them carefully as they watch me carefully too. They are too funny. Some of them immediatly dug in while others just played around at digging in. Will keep this log going and report tomorrow on how well they feed. I feed them my clown mix. They love the pe mysis and large clam chunks. they seem to like the larger foods.
littlebitoocean

Postby sanjay » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:40 am

What size/shape substrate are you using for the tank that is housing them ?

sanjay.
sanjay

Postby cantagious » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:38 pm

How many are you keeping per tank ? We need some pictures
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

cantagious

Postby littlebitoocean » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:44 am

I am using a med size substrant with river pebbles for building material. They move the pebbles into place to reenforce their burrows Right now i still have 3 in one tank. And 2 in the other2 tanks and one that is definatly male in the last tank. I am trying to decide which one to move out of the 3 some tank. I must have 2 females in there or there would be a fight.... I am thinking the males seem to be smaller than the females or just coincidence. I know which one for sure is a female. And may move her into the tank with the male. They have all seen each other while eating so i know if fights were to happen i would think it would be duriing supper...... Will try some pics today and post.
Last night it looked like the male in one of the tanks was flashing the female. That makes me hopeful that they are definately a pr and not 2 females.
Teresa
littlebitoocean

Postby cantagious » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:03 am

SEXING
If they start fighting I assume they both are male if they get along it's a pair or two females I wait about three days and the pair that I think is a pair I add one of the males and see what happens and that is plan for now I always have males available I am trying to get at least I male with two females seeing that in the wild the hang in Colonies
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

cantagious

Postby littlebitoocean » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:39 am

According to what you say, i believe i have 2 females and one male in one tank. Have a spare male in another tank. that would be extremily luck if i ended up with 4 pairs. I notice the males have a darker looking face, if i am correct, than the females. I know which ones are female if that is what i had in my tank bf.
Teresa
littlebitoocean

Postby littlebitoocean » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:26 am

Well i definatley have 3 pairs. The male in one of the unsure tanks was dancing for the female yesterday. I will watch and see if they do it again and try to record it and let you all see. It would do this male no good to flash as she would not see it. her hole is on a different side of the giant rock in the tank. So that is 2 i have seen interact with each other, which i think is a good think for breeding. I now have one definate pair that has not interacted(as far as i know) with each other and one set that i am not sure of.
Exciting!! :mrgreen:
littlebitoocean

Postby cantagious » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Ok now you still got me waiting on some pictures to see how they are doing that is great to hear so out out of the 6 you got two pair and two males and the pair you already had for a total of 8

GOODLUCK
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

cantagious

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:02 pm

This is exciting ! Sounds like you have a few pairs now. Good luck with them and PLEASE KEEP US POSTED. And I can't wait for pics. :)

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby cantagious » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Just checking to see how there doing
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

cantagious

Postby cantagious » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Waiting on any updates !!!