Mouth full of eggs

Mouth full of eggs

Postby Josh1919 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:26 pm

My yellow head pearly has a mouth full of eggs first time trying to raise them dose anyone have any pointers on how to do this or what I need to do this smoothly. Also I think the egg laying happened today how long can I expect the little ones. Any help with this would be greatly accepted as I only know a little about this. Thanks a bunch. Josh
Josh1919

Re: Mouth full of eggs

Postby Luis A M » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:07 am

My male jawfish continuously eats the eggball after some time. :(
Good luck with yours,I think they take 5 days to hatch.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby TheChemist » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:43 am

As I recall from M. Whitenrich's book you will notice the male will NOT close his tunnel on the night when the fry is about to hatch. On other nights he will put a stone or something like this over it to close the entrance. This should give you a clue on when is the time to be ready to collect the eggs.
Andy

Onyx A. percula, A. ocelaris. P. kauderni, L. wurdemani, L. amboinensis, black ocelaris, E. oceanops, grama loreto, P. aldabraensis
TheChemist

Postby Josh1919 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Both of my fish have the" black dots " on lower jaw. The male is out now it almost looks as if he is proud of what's in his mouth. It's even more swollen today and as I watch him he kind of spits them out a little and quickly rotates them and just like that he puts them back in. At feeding time the male bolts back in hole and the female who used to hardly ever come out shows her face and soon after she goes back in and the male reappears minus eggs when food is gone he goes back in to get them and comes back out to what looks like a proud display. My appoliges for erors in typing I'm on an I phone I think they need bigger letters. Josh
Josh1919

Postby Luis A M » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:17 pm

TheChemist wrote:As I recall from M. Whitenrich's book you will notice the male will NOT close his tunnel on the night when the fry is about to hatch. On other nights he will put a stone or something like this over it to close the entrance. This should give you a clue on when is the time to be ready to collect the eggs.

Collecting the eggs from inside the cave or catch and strip the male seems very problematic. :? I guess you must collect hatched larvae.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby TheChemist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:23 am

Luis A M wrote:Collecting the eggs from inside the cave or catch and strip the male seems very problematic. :? I guess you must collect hatched larvae.

I was thinking larvae, but for some reason I wrote eggs. :oops:
Yes, you catch the larvae after they hatch.
Andy

Onyx A. percula, A. ocelaris. P. kauderni, L. wurdemani, L. amboinensis, black ocelaris, E. oceanops, grama loreto, P. aldabraensis
TheChemist

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish