Blue spot or pearly?

Blue spot or pearly?

Postby wilawalo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:52 pm

okay I want to start raising some baby fish while I wait for my clownfish to get bigger. So I am planning a jawfish tank with clear pvc underground boroughs so I can see them. But my question is should I try to pair up a blue spotted jawfish or pearly? I know the blue spot is really hard to keep I don't know if that is due to collection process or what. And the pearly jawfish I can find but I have read a lot that it is hard to get them to hold the eggs. So I am thinking I need to set up an aerator as well just in case. What are your opinions? Blue spot or pearly?
wilawalo

Postby mpedersen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:34 pm

You can get mated pairs of Pearly Jawfish from Ken Nedimyer ( SeaLifeInc.net ). They'll be compatible from the get go.

The general consensus is that trying to spawn and raise Blue Spotted Jawfish will be harder because they are difficult to pair up and even as pairs may require several square feet of floor space per fish.

Of course, Jawfish in general don't seem to be "easy" to raise...a better bet for fish while waiting for clownfish to start spawning might be something like the Bangaii Cardinalfish.

FWIW,

MAtt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby wilawalo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I am having a near impossible mission to get CB Cardinals, and if I do find them they all look female. But as far as jawfish are they hard to raise because they spit out the eggs? Thanks for the link to find the mated jawfish!
wilawalo

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:16 pm

wilawalo wrote:I am having a near impossible mission to get CB Cardinals, and if I do find them they all look female. But as far as jawfish are they hard to raise because they spit out the eggs? Thanks for the link to find the mated jawfish!

"Harder" to raise because of the larval rearing requirements. Out of the fish mentioned in this thread, from easiest to harderst:

Bangaii Cardinalfish > Clownfish > Yellowheaded Jawfish > Blue Spotted Jawfish

Young Cardinals don't show the sexual dimorphic characteristics that may be discernable in older fish that have spawned repeatedly. Try Inland Aquatics though..I know they sell pairs.

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Re:

Postby wilawalo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:03 pm

mpedersen wrote:
wilawalo wrote:I am having a near impossible mission to get CB Cardinals, and if I do find them they all look female. But as far as jawfish are they hard to raise because they spit out the eggs? Thanks for the link to find the mated jawfish!

"Harder" to raise because of the larval rearing requirements. Out of the fish mentioned in this thread, from easiest to harderst:

Bangaii Cardinalfish > Clownfish > Yellowheaded Jawfish > Blue Spotted Jawfish

Young Cardinals don't show the sexual dimorphic characteristics that may be discernable in older fish that have spawned repeatedly. Try Inland Aquatics though..I know they sell pairs.

FWIW,

Matt

Thanks Matt! I will look into it. Hopefully I can find a nice pair!
wilawalo

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish