Pearly Jawfish what kind of sand

Pearly Jawfish what kind of sand

Postby Bigsky » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:30 pm

What kind of sand to use for substrate and does it need to be six inches deep, and were is the cheapest place to buy sand
Bigsky

Re: Pearly Jawfish what kind of sand

Postby mpedersen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Bigsky wrote:What kind of sand to use for substrate and does it need to be six inches deep, and were is the cheapest place to buy sand

FWIW, don't make the mistake of buying the "cheapest" when it comes to things that you put in your tank! I like Arag Alive, and my jaws have a mixture of various grades...they like to have some rubble to work with as well as the finer grade sands.

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Bigsky » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks Matt

Is six inches the correct depth?
Bigsky

Postby tcmfish » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:52 pm

I have them in a good six inches of crushed coral and there is fine sand on the top of one side and they go over there but for sure prefer the crushed coral. What I did those was took some 3/4" PVC and cut it about 4-5 in. and put it in the sand and most took right to a pipe some built their own burrows. I left the pipe open on the bottom though so they could build out the bottom and make it their own which they have done. I just got my first spawn too today I have 7 in a 55 gal.
Tim.
tcmfish

Postby Bigsky » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:11 am

I decided to go with crushed coral at about 7" they seem like they enjoy it they have one very large borrow. I bought 6 and three came in DOA and then I got one at the pet store so I have four they all share the same hole is that usual. how long did yours take to spawn? I believe I read some were else it took a year for you to get them to spawn tcmfish, is that correct?
Bigsky

Postby tcmfish » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:43 am

2 months to spawn. The temp is at 87 and none of them share a hole there are 7. The mates have been kinda of aggressive with the others since the spawn but nothing serious yet.
Tim.
tcmfish

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish