Any trying blue spots?

Any trying blue spots?

Postby 120gallons » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:36 pm

I would think this would be a good species to try to breed.

Are people not doing it because it is hard and expensive to end up with a pairs? (poor survival of wild caught specimens and they are beligerant).

From what research I have done it appears they have been successfully breed and reared at least a few times.
Reefkeeping blog and podcast http://www.120gallons.com
Current Episode: Interview with Matt Wittenrich author of "Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes"
120gallons

Re: Any trying blue spots?

Postby mpedersen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:54 pm

120gallons wrote:From what research I have done it appears they have been successfully breed and reared at least a few times.

Can you post references so other folks can see that? I've only heard 2nd hand info that a compnay in Mexico did it...

Also, I assume you've read this thread?

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=107

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby 120gallons » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Jake Levenson is this thread said he had

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19299
Current Episode: Interview with Matt Wittenrich author of "Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes"
120gallons

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:52 pm

120gallons wrote:Jake Levenson is this thread said he had

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19299

I read Jake's comments (great find BTW). He doesn't ever say what he had successes or failures with. I.e. it sounds like he had some spawns on Blue-Dots, but nothing in there ever says he was actually successful with rearing any to what would be considered a "saleable size" (i.e. 1-2" in length).

Blue Dots ARE one of those fish worth doing but it sounds like there are many roadblocks long before you ever get to a spawning pair. I've only had failure after failure with my O. aurifrons.

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby 120gallons » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Seems like the first stumbling block might be getting a pair. It's hard enough to get a single healthy specimen. Then putting two together and hoping you figure out if they are mail/female before they beat the crap out of each other.

Plus at $100+ a pop, mistakes can get expensive quickly.
120gallons

Postby Greshamh » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:45 am

sourcing pairs isn't the problem. Even with all the pairs they could carry, CICIMAR still struggled with theirs and on large government grants as well.
Greshamh

Postby 120gallons » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:02 am

Did they document any of their struggles?
120gallons

Postby Greshamh » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm

Do you speak spanish? They do have a website, but translating a full blown website into english sure makes for some odd uses of words :)

Look in the Blenny page (here) and look for sailfin signal blenny :)
Greshamh

Re:

Postby 120gallons » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:07 pm

Greshamh wrote:Do you speak spanish? They do have a website, but translating a full blown website into english sure makes for some odd uses of words :)

Look in the Blenny page (here) and look for sailfin signal blenny :)

I searched the site, no reference to jawfish. What's a jawfish called in spanish?
120gallons

Postby Luis A M » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:51 pm

Most call them just Opistognathus,some few translate directly to "pez mandibula",but it sounds awful. :roll:
I try to have people calling them "fantasmita"(little ghost) which is what O.aurifrons looks to me.Seen Casper? :wink:
BTW,some of these Bostonian reports smell fishy... :roll:
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby Greshamh » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:40 pm

Luis A M wrote:Most call them just Opistognathus,some few translate directly to "pez mandibula",but it sounds awful. :roll:
I try to have people calling them "fantasmita"(little ghost) which is what O.aurifrons looks to me.Seen Casper? :wink:

You think a few of us would have heard about some of those experiences outside that forum. I mean, I have a lot of friends in that area, all know I'm interested in breeding, but none have ever said "hey, da da da has had blah blah blah breed and da da da brought them to di di di stage" :D
Greshamh

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Greshamh wrote:
Luis A M wrote:Most call them just Opistognathus,some few translate directly to "pez mandibula",but it sounds awful. :roll:

You think a few of us would have heard about some of those experiences outside that forum. I mean, I have a lot of friends in that area, all know I'm interested in breeding, but none have ever said "hey, da da da has had blah blah blah breed and da da da brought them to di di di stage" :D

Terrific to be free to gossip about outsiders and not having to regret starting a new domestic trouble! :lol:
Fish story tellers frequently goof it with damsels.Being them cheap and easy they assume they won´t be too difficult to breed and therefore nobody is going to question much their "breeding reports". :twisted:
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:30 pm

Luis A M wrote:BTW,some of these Bostonian reports smell fishy... :roll:

I didn't have the balls to say it, but I was thinking the same thing....

Looks like we need to bust Jake's chops until he shows up with some photo documentation posted to the MOFIB forums ;)

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Re:

Postby DrHsu » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 pm

120gallons wrote:.....putting two together and hoping you figure out if they are mail/female before they beat the crap out of each other.

I keep reading this and keep wondering how true this is (since we don't have much experience in keeping jawfishes here - most reefers here only buy one and keep them alone, partly due to the cost of these guys and partly due to the aggressiveness to conspecifics that they read about).

Reason I ask is that I have 2 each of pearly and blue-spots. I cannot be sure they are pairs, but they occupy hidy holes within 6-8 inches of each other and have never shown aggressiveness beyond the open mouth threat display. No chasing, no injuries, no staying at far ends of the tank etc.

Since I basically picked them out by pure gut instinct and didn't pair them by buying 1/2 a dozen.....I'm wondering - can I really be that good in sexing them :lol: ; was I really super lucky in picking out 2 pairs in 2 tries; or is this aggressiveness thing just typical reefing lore....

Could it also be that I have all females?? This is assuming that the females will tolerate each other, and that the males will be the ones that kill each other. ie 2 males will result in only one; whereas 2 females will co-exist relatively peacefully.....
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby tcmfish » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:52 am

Referring to the last post... in the group of yellowhead jaws I have now that just spawned the female has become aggressive to the other females keeping them away from her mate but before that they never really cared about each other just the larger ones would display at the smaller ones. So maybe you are lucky and got a pair sounds good.
Tim.
tcmfish

Postby bajabum » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am

I am on my second attempt. Bad salt terminated my first attempt along with the rest of my hatching operation. That problem fixed, and January coming, I have six flying in from the wholesaler. They are a crap shoot with the infection they are prone to after shipping. Don't expect it to be a cost recover situation, just another expensive feather in a worn out hat. Most of my effort is direct at my Black Onyx Clowns, Redhead Blennies, Cortez Blennies and Signal Blennies. However they might coexist with Bangahii since both are mouth brooders and feed midwater.
bajabum

Postby bajabum » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:57 pm

It is worth mentioning that I use LIVE tubiflex worms when I first get the jawfish in. Also works for Copperbanded Butterfly fish
bajabum

Return to Opistognathidae - Jawfish