Flaming Prawn Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri) sexing?

Re: Flaming Prawn Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri) sexing?

Postby DrHsu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Amy,

Good hypothesis but not quite correct. I have had pairs of the flabelligobius before, and so has Peter Schmeidal - I believe Peter has pics of both of his together. Mine lived in my nano tank. I think males (or females) will kill each other if in a confined area, but pairs will not - that's the expensive way to sex them :D So envious that you guys can get them quite easily now - I haven't been able to get them again for years! :cry:
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:57 pm

INTERESTING :!: That means I paid for a pair but didn't get a pair :!:

All that thinking was based on the fact that I was sold a pair.........maybe I was lied to. OR maybe we are all right. There have been watchman (blue spots and blue fins ) that have got on geat for me as pairs in small tanks. But other times where females (bluefins can be sexed easy by the dorsal) have killed would be males. But fish were paired based on size and dorsal fins. So my point is that I just don't believe that LA's DD are bad people who lie. I think that I got a nasty fish. It happens sometimes that some fish are more aggressive. BUT it was the "female" (smaller of the two) that killed the male so maybe you are right. Don't know :?: But thank you so much for posting. It is nice to know someone who knows anything about these fish :!: Am I right that the female is the smaller one ??

Thank you :!: I sure hope I don't have two males this time :roll: And please feel free to share your thoughts. I am about to put these two fish back together......this could get ugly. :roll:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby FuEl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13 am

If you can get a tank made for pairing these guys it would be good. I paired my red head gobies by placing them in "pairs" in each section of a partitioned tank. Each section is about 3 gallons. The gobies can see each other through the glass. Observe how they treat the other goby in their own section and how they interact with other gobies in the next section. For red-head gobies I have observed that males will flash at each other through the glass or in their own section (if you paired up 2 males). Females don't seem to do anything other than getting chased around. After swapping fish around over a few days you should be able to end up with a few pairs.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 am

Well if they were the price of redhead gobies I might have a group to work with :lol: Seriously I DO understand what you are trying to say and that is a great way of doing it.( But fwiw I never had trouble pairing redhead gobies). But my problem is that I can't find the fish from a wholesaler so getting a deal is out. And they are 400 dollars a pair (if you get a pair :roll: ). About 200 for a individual and they are not all listed at once so shipping will get you everytime you order. I have a investor that bought these. And he is great but I like to make sure his money is well spent. So I don't just buy without thinking about things. So after all of this I'm just slow to get more. I can ONLY get them from LA's DD. And fwiw I'm not mad at anybody because I can't say for sure anyone is to blame. And my dead fish was replaced. I'm just still not sure I have a pair this time either. Again it could just be I have a evil fish (it happens). I just want this pair to get on together (now together in a 55). And I'll go from there.

And sorry to all for side tracking this tread.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby DrHsu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:00 am

I would find it hard to believe that LA sold them as a pair when they were 2 individuals. Possibly shipping stress caused something to "snap"...or maybe they could see each other better with your tank lighting (j/k) :lol: Maybe in future, put them individually in betta boxes next to each other for a while before putting them together again.

400 per pair is incredible! You wouldn't want to know how much I got mine for :D
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 am

Now we are on the same page. I think something changed for the pair in my tank. I too have had a hard time believing those guys would lie. Them seem straight up on LA's DD. And they looked like a pair. Again I think my fish went nuts :roll: It would happen that I would get the crazy evil one :roll: I hope I don't have a serial killer on my hands. :lol:

And I got mine for free so you can tell me what you paid. :P I need to move to Japan though.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby FuEl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:42 am

Hi Amy,

Just came across an article which might give you something to play around with. :D

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content ... -hot-water
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 am

very interesting !

Thanks,
Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Well I just thought I would let you guys know that so far the magnificent shrimp gobies are doing fine. I drop them in at different ends of the 55 and I'm not sure if they have seen each other yet. But I think that is a good thing because it means they have plenty of hiding places. And FuEl thanks again for the link. This house and my tanks are always a little warmer than I would like so maybe temp. could be a problem. The 55 will be cooler so that is also a good thing. And also sorry again for taking this thread WAY off topic.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby angi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 am

Hello together

Greetings from germany. I had in the past 3 griessingeri gobies. I saw them often at mating dance, but never found eggs. They got old more than 5 years. I had 2 guys and 1 women. On the dorsal fin in the orange zone there are brown dots. I believe to remember that the guys had 6 such brownish dots and the women 5.
Not really sure - too long time ago. But You can different the gender sure after mating because the guy is away then to care the eggs for some days.

Torsten from germany showed some pictures in the german forum. There You can see what I mean with the dots.
http://meerwasserforum.info/thread.php? ... r=0&page=2

all the best, Angi
yrs, angi
angi

Postby Luis A M » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52 am

Angi,this forum requests registration,but I couldnt make it.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby angi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:02 am

Hello Luis,

okay I will ask Torsten if I may take his pictures to show them here.
yrs, angi
angi

Postby angi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 am

yrs, angi
angi

Postby Spikefin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Joined the forum because I want to try to breed this Goby. I can't find hardly any information on sexing, lifespan, or spawning process. The picture links no longer work (Was this a confirmed method?). I was really hoping someone had figured out how to distinguish male from female by now. If anyone has any experience or info on this fish it would be greatly appreciated. The best info I could get was from this article. I tried to get a hold of the author but was unsuccessful.
Spikefin

State/Region: Indiana

Postby angi » Tue May 05, 2015 7:29 am

It was long ago that I held griessingeri. As I recall, the males have in the orange tail fin a brown dot more. You will know when the griessingeri have dropped a scrim. The male operates namely parental care and then disappeared for at least 2-3 days.
yrs, angi
angi

Postby Spikefin » Wed May 06, 2015 2:06 am

I did read your previous post about this but I cannot distinguish the two. There is no pattern to the dots on either the dorsal or caudal fin. Some have more some have less but there aren't definitive amounts. It would be hard to distinguish them in a large group. Also, I've been having a hard time finding good pictures of a pair so I could look for differences. I am talking with a supplier and they don't know how to sex them or even what to look for in a pair. In the coral magazine article it states that they are a social fish. I feel like it may confuse the supplier into thinking there is a pair because they live in groups. I don't want to end up with two of the same sex. I was hoping there would be a tell tail mark of some kind like on so many other fish. It would be nice if there was some scientific information on the matter. How long did yours live? What did you feed them? What kind of environment did you keep them in? Did you ever get any larva or adult fish from breeding? I'm thinking their eggs and young must be very small, possibly microscopic. Btw what do you mean by scrim(I'm new to breeding so I'm not familiar with all the terminology yet)? I am guessing fertilized eggs. Thanks for the reply, I know it's an old thread.
Spikefin

Postby Spikefin » Fri May 08, 2015 9:55 pm

It's kinda annoying how long it takes for my posts to show on this forum :roll: . Really wanting to get a pair of these but it is very hard to tell a male from a female and vice versa.
Spikefin

Postby Amie » Sun May 10, 2015 2:01 am

Spikefin wrote:It's kinda annoying how long it takes for my posts to show on this forum :roll: . Really wanting to get a pair of these but it is very hard to tell a male from a female and vice versa.

You have been taken off the 'newly registered user' list, so your posts will show up immediately from now on.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby angi » Mon May 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi,

my english is to bad to understand all. I had Griessingeri´s many many years ago. I do not remember details - to long ago! First I had them in a very small tank, 12 Liter, only with macro-algae. As they were grown big (2,5 - 3 cm), I did them in a bigger tank with other tiny fishes. Their favorite food was live adult artemia, young mysids, big copepods. I found this old thread I was talking with a friend about griessingeri´s. There are pictures too. You can see males and women. http://www.meerwasserforum.com/index.ph ... 8&pageNo=2

In the past I wrote a lot in meerwassernachzuchten.de, but after a server crash all threads were away. There are no other records. Sorry.

kind regards, Angi
yrs, angi
angi

Postby Spikefin » Fri May 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks so much for replying :wink: . From what I understand, you are saying that males have more dots than females on the caudal fin. So, a fish showing 6 or more dots would be considered male. Likewise, If the fish has 5 or less dots it is female. Does this sound correct? Here are some pics from Google. Let me know which ones you think are male or female. If you are having trouble understanding me just use Google translator. That is if you haven't already(Google Chrome does it automatically). That's how I was able to read the German webpage. It is not perfect but it works well.

I apologize for the large sample size. I just want to make sure I can distinguish the sex before I buy.

Figure 1:
Figure 2:
Figure 3:
Figure 4:
Figure 5:
Figure 6:
Figure 7:

EDIT: Forgot to ask if you remembered how a pair behaved as opposed to two of the same sex. Are there any signs to look for while at the store?
Spikefin

Postby angi » Sun May 17, 2015 6:51 am

Figure 6 and 7 are males. :-)
yrs, angi
angi

Postby Spikefin » Mon May 18, 2015 5:29 pm

Interesting, I would have thought that if figure 6 and 7 were males then figure 5 would be as well. Figure 5 and 6 are very similar to me. If you had picked the last three I would have assumed that having two rows of dots would indicate a male.
Figure 5:
Figure 6:

I thought this second row indicated a male. Please highlight the determining factor. You have been a big help. Thanks so much.
Spikefin

Postby Jake Levi » Tue May 19, 2015 11:52 am

Any updates?
Jake Levi

Harrisville , MI
Jake Levi

State/Region: Michigan

Postby Spikefin » Mon May 25, 2015 6:30 pm

So I finally got one of these little guys :D. I have no idea if it's male or female. It is very shy still. I have had it for a week now. I have seen it take a few bites of frozen Cyclopoida which is really good. I try to get it to eat every other day. There are plenty of pods in my tank so it should be fine regardless. My polys sure love the leftovers though. Today it came out to eat. I tried to get a photo to see what sex you think it is angi. The flash really freaked it out so it's not the best photo. Once I get a hold of a nice camera I'll make a tank thread and link it.

Anyway, Male or female?

By the way angi, was I correct in my assumption in the previous post. Are the dots circled in green the markings of a male?
Spikefin

Postby Jake Levi » Tue May 26, 2015 11:51 am

Spikefin wrote:So I finally got one of these little guys :D. I have no idea if it's male or female. It is very shy still. I have had it for a week now. I have seen it take a few bites of frozen Cyclopoida which is really good. I try to get it to eat every other day. There are plenty of pods in my tank so it should be fine regardless. My polys sure love the leftovers though. Today it came out to eat. I tried to get a photo to see what sex you think it is angi. The flash really freaked it out so it's not the best photo. Once I get a hold of a nice camera I'll make a tank thread and link it.

Anyway, Male or female?

By the way angi, was I correct in my assumption in the previous post. Are the dots circled in green the markings of a male?

Good luck with these little guys, they are high on my want list, top for the Blennies. Where did you get yours from? I am about 3.5 hrs drive north of Tropicorium/Detroit area. I have a breeder 50 for them , gobies, dragonets.
Jake Levi

Harrisville , MI
Jake Levi

State/Region: Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to other gobies