Flaming Prawn Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri) sexing?

Flaming Prawn Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri) sexing?

Postby mak3mydae » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Does anyone know how to sex these guys? I have one of these little fella's but i want to get another of the opposite sex. Also, has anyone had any success breeding them? Thanks
mak3mydae

Re: Flaming Prawn Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri) sexing?

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:18 pm

I have no idea but it is a dream fish for me. I have only seen one for sale and it was already marked sold when I saw it. I have not found any more for sale. :x

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby D3monic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Never ordered from here but they are half the price compared to other sites. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/24 ... ddJTxzWyU_ Very cute fish. I might just get one for my SH/pipe tank. I dont know how to sex them but possibly the spike fin comes into play?
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Thank you ! :D

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby D3monic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:22 pm

Aww nvm sorry they are out of stock. =(
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

D3monic

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Bummer. I have not seen one in about a year. Btw Mike I like your current mood. I'm a goth girl myself :wink:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby D3monic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:28 pm

lol thanks. Im a big fan of his. I figured by the name. I used to date a girl who dated a girl by that name... good times.
Mike,

D3monic

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep sounds about right. I'm a huge Skinny Puppy fan myself. They are sweet guys. Always liked NIN too.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Luis A M » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:30 pm

D3monic wrote: I used to date a girl who dated a girl

Was that a mass spawning? :? :lol: :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby D3monic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:25 pm

I would be a liar if I said yes. Her GF wasnt into guys. I did get front row though.....any how back onto topic...does anyone know how to sex these guys? I would love to try a pair one day.

L iar was edited? Hmm..
Mike,

D3monic

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:33 pm

:lol: :lol: Like I said before I only saw one and all the ones in pics look the same. But when I see them on list I'll get them for sure. I'll ask around about the Discordipinna family and see if anybody knows anything.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby bobz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:22 am

I have three of these in a 25G tank for over a year now. So far as I can tell, there is no visual difference in any of them. They are very secretive and territorial and tend to defend their area and chase each other. I haven't seen any signs of pairing yet, but again it is really hard to tell in my tank. I had to take down most of the breeding setup so now they are in a mixed tank with some of my remaining juvinile clowns and cardinals. Hopefully, I can get back to these guys and try to figure out how and when they pair up sometime in the near future.
bob
"To be is to do" - Socrates
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
bobz

Postby DrHsu » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:18 am

In my years of keeping this goby, I have yet to notice any sexual dimorphism - I've had quite a number over the years.....I've read someone say that the males have an additional branching on the spike, but frankly have yet to see any with just one spike - all I have seen have been branched. There also seems to be no observable interactions between individuals.....

Bought a "pair" recently just based on the fact that the two of them were escapees and had chosen to hang around each other on a single piece of algae rock when there were a fair number of identical rocks in the tank. Am planning to set up a pico tank for these guys with a observation chamber, hopefully to be able to observe any male/female behaviour and maybe spawning?? :o Sadly one just died (don't think this one ate, the other eats frozen! only the second one I have ever seen eating!!). Will have to just pick out a few more and see if they will pair naturally.
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Luis A M » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:45 pm

D3monic wrote:.
L iar was edited? Hmm..

L iar=liar? :?
I edited a goof with the quote format.We don´t edit sex things here...Ya know,we´re breeders :wink: :lol:
Funny,I now realize that the "L word" is automatically edited :shock: (meaning l-i-a-r-,not the other implicit above)
May be we´re puritans after all? :roll:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Well it sure sounds like these guys will be a tuff nut to crack :roll: But I'm up for it. I would love just to have some. And well anything after that will be a plus but I won't hold my breath for a spawn but maybe one of us will get lucky. Very pretty fish for sure !

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby mak3mydae » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies, even the off topic ones-they where hilarious to read-:)
Hm, I guess my dream of breeding these guys has been crushed. I cant even get mine to stay in one place let alone come out. I made a little house for him and he doesnt seem to like my decorating. The little sucker is rather fat, but i feed while my lights are on and i never see him eat. Perhaps he's eating up all my pods? I have a couple off topic questions about these guys

How do you make them come out more?
How do you make them stay in one place?
How do I make him eat frozen?
I've read in many places that they will not form a symbiotic relationship with pistols, but I've also heard that they will. Has anyone had luck with this?
mak3mydae

Postby FuEl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:03 am

I have 3 of these guys now in my 3 gallon pico tank. They just seem to get along without much aggression.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:43 pm

So glad you got them :D I have the magnificent shrimp goby here now and decided to work on that one. They are a little bigger so I feel a little more hopeful about raising the babies. But good luck with the flaming prawns.........probably the prettiest gobies out there. :wink:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby FuEl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Sure they are the prettiest Amy?

We have'nt seen these yet. :lol:

I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:10 am

I can't see the image... dang it. But I did say probably. There are always fish out there that we have not seen. But I think the flaming prawns and the magnificent shrimp gobies are on the top of the list somewhere........... hell who am I kidding anyway I love all the gobies. So I'm not the best judge anyway :lol: But my point is no one ever contacted me at that place fwiw and I sent a few emails so again I'm so glad you have these fish. :wink: They need to be with breeders .Are they eating yet ?

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:12 am

Damn :!: Now I see it. What the :?: What is that .............fish geeking out ........call 911 :lol:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby FuEl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:06 am

Hi Amy,

They are feeding on enriched baby brine shrimp. :) I get them for around 40 USD per pc here. :D
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:43 am

Good for you :D

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby DrHsu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:32 am

Amy, glad you managed to get a pair of the magnificents (or mosaic fin, or whatever...). They're probably in one of the best hands to get them to breed - hope to see update on them

Right after I said that I don't see any interaction between my gressengeri's, I finally witnessed some aggression between them - got a new group and in the first day, there was actual aggression between 2 of them. One actually lunged at the other, and both of them have some fin damage that I'm sure wasn't there before. They are now more settled and seem to tolerate each other like how I normally see them....
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks Li Chieh,

By the way I just now for the first time saw that message under your signature. I didn't realize you were also marinebetta but I knew your name from somewhere. Now I know and thanks for being such a help to me back in my RC days. :wink:

Funny that you should bring up aggression.........With the first pair of Magnificent Shrimp gobies I got one was killed by the other. I say pair because I bought them as a pair from LA's DD. So I got another one and it has been in a basket. I just finished setting up a 55 for these two small gobies. They don't seem to get on well in small tanks. Again mine were sold to me as a pair but didn't get on well in a 10 gallon tank. The people at LA's DD sent me another fish btw. Honestly I didn't realize the first one had been killed til after I got the new fish and all hell broke loose. The fish beat the crap out of each other. Then I thought back on all the bluefin watchman I have bought. Females have killed males twice in small tanks. :roll:

So I was talking to Matt (Wittenrich) about the magnificents and he did some research on them. Anyway all but one of the pictures we found the fish were alone. And they seem to live alone most of the time in the wild. They live a few feet from each other. Because both the males and females have such large dorsal fins Matt thinks maybe they are used to attract mates because these fish usually live separate lives. Anyway this is not fact but it would explain some things. So after all of this I decided to give the magnificents a 55 all for them ( and some of my banggai and snowflake clowns). But I know NOTHING about the flaming prawn gobies and I'm NOT saying they are the same. I just thought I would share my experience with the magnificents because you guys may want to get some. :wink: After I know I have a "happy" pair I'll post a update.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Next

Return to other gobies