Gobiodon okinawae

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:02 am

Luis,

great achievement!

Could the availability of coral branches ne a trigger for the settlement? Meaning would it be faster if branches are offered at day 33 ?
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby Luis A M » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:35 am

It certainly could :?
They showed a quick response to the introduction of the coral.I would have waited to place it there till I saw they were settling to the walls,bottom.But in this case I wanted to provide a hydroid free surface for safety.
There is only one swimming larva now.It is identical to the settled post larvae,tiny and colourless.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KMB » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:25 pm

Congratulations Luis! In my book that's definitely more than a marginal success!

Karen
KMB

Postby bigstinka » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:44 pm

when i got some of these and i reserched them i did read somewhere that the fry do seek dead or dying acroporas etc. seem to find them good fro safety.
currently feeding up some bangaii's for my first breeding attempt, here looking for inspiration!
bigstinka

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:01 pm

KMB wrote:Congratulations Luis! In my book that's definitely more than a marginal success!

Karen

Well,you can feel cool,make pics and raise them and get a 2nd CB generation.And become famous,yours didn´t meet "marginal"attention! :lol:
I use "marginal" meaning that the conditions that allowed only 1-3 larvae to make it were marginal.
Should we call it "preliminary success"kinda when we call "developing countries"to undeveloped countries? :twisted:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby chris melb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:08 am

Luis im just wondering whether or not you observed any losses that could be attributed to shock? i.e turning the light on, when feeding etc.

Chris
chris melb

Postby Luis A M » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:57 am

Not with Gobiodon.But pre-meta Chrysyptera died same as in non copepod runs.See in "larviculture"for details.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:29 pm

UPDATE-70 days.
The two settled juvs are pale yellow.They like to perch on the coral and on the rigid airline,which are overgrown with algae and hydroids.They don´t care sitting on hydroids,perhaps the association of this genus with live corals makes them also inmune to hydroid´s nematocysts :?
The third one,though larger and more developed,remains pelagic and grayish transparent,except for the blue shining eyes.This is a good example of what is called a "post-larva".
Now feeding on Oto B1 plus bbs.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby joefrith » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:17 am

Sounds awesome Luis. You think we could get some pics?
><º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
joefrith

Postby Hunts25 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Any updates i am thinking of trying a pair of these??
Hunts25

Postby Luis A M » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:28 am

Growing well,about 1 cm.Moved them to a grow out tank 8)
Feeding on bbs and Dragon feeds 0.5 mm
Luis
Luis A M

Postby aomont » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am

How many ???
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Re: Gobiodon okinawae

Postby Luis A M » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:16 am

I realize now that I failed to reply Anderson´s question.I will now more than 1.5 yrs later. :oops: VC vai me perdoar? :|
Three juvs settled.Two died later,so it was only one,which was very slow to grow.
When it was 1 yr old,it looked like a small adult,so I bought another one for company.
My yellow baby became a female.She laid today her first batch of incredibly tiny eggs. 8) The nest wasn´t on the coral branches but inside a piece of PVC pipe.
So this is G.okinawae,2nd generation!. :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:55 pm

I am currently raising two larvae,day 14. 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby efren » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:33 pm

hi Luis wahta hapenend with your gobbies i just got 3 G.citrinus and would like to give them a try
efren
MOFIB Translator

Postby Luis A M » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:53 pm

I keep my pair where the female was hatched here.They are spawning all the time.Plan to raise some more later.They hatch very small and difficult,as the size of the eggs suggests.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby graham_more » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:21 am

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I have a few questions you might be able to help me with.
I recently got two clown gobies and im trying to encourage them to pair up, would the addition of a acropora colony encourage this? or does the acropora only encourage a mated pair to spawn.
Currently the larger of the two is claiming the majority of the tank as its territory, although they do seem to come closer when frightened( few cleaning the pump, with no water movement, they accepted each otheres company).
Any advice would be great!

Graham
graham_more

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:33 pm

Just takes time, Graham. Mine seemed to take forever to sort out their sexual roles, but once they did nothing else seemed to matter. Mine have spawned all over the place. The acro doesn't seem necessary, though they seem to be able to protect the eggs from tank mates better on an acro.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby graham_more » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply :D !
I guess ill just have to wait an see :), shouldnt be any problems with tank mates, unless the dove snails decide to take them on :roll:
I shall pop up a thread if i get them to spawn.
Thanks again!
graham_more

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 am

You never know. Those dove snails can be tough and they run in gangs. :)

Good luck!
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby saltypete » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Luis,

My yellow clown gobies spawned last night and I have collected maybe 30 fry and have them in a 5-gallon black bucket, aerated, with green water and rotifers all inside.

My problem is that I am having trouble seeing them in the bucket! I have scooped out water 3 times, and 2 times there was a small live fry in the water in the scoop, so I know there are some still alive in the bucket.

What kind of a tank setup did you use to raise your gobies and how were you able to keep track of them? They are so small! This is my first attempt at raising fry, so any advice you might have would be great! Thank you :-)
saltypete

Postby Suzy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:11 pm

I have ywg and I literally thought they were gone for weeks! Seeing them in the water is almost impossible with the naked eye, IMO. I am from now on just going to feed them consistently, and look for them every once in a while with my flashlight and patiently wait....
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:51 am

At that time,I didn´t use BRTs but 10 gal tanks for raising larvae.I had failed several times with rots and only could raise some when I fed them copepods.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby saltypete » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks for the tips, Suzy, Luis.
Will try to get some live copepods in my BRT.

My first attempt fizzled after 5 days, probably because I ran out of live rotifers. I am onto my second hatch of larvae, four days now and not many deaths noticed. Maybe about 30 larvae swimming in a larger BRT.

I glued a 3" square piece of white plastic to the bottom of the black BRT. It is helping me see what exactly is swimming around.

Had an unexpected hatching of peppermint shrimp the same night as the YCG, so they are currently sharing the same BRT. May be a good idea to separate sometime soon as the peppermint shrimp seem to be growing faster than the YCG? :-)
saltypete

Postby Suzy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:03 am

I think the smaller larvae will get eaten by the larger larvae. I would hate to lose fish for pep shrimp....

Fingers crossed!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Previous

Return to Gobiodon - Clown Gobies