G.okinawae (Yellow Coral Goby) Breeding Journal

G.okinawae (Yellow Coral Goby) Breeding Journal

Postby chris melb » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:45 pm

One of my fav. fish have finally spawned. I have these in a 5ft Frag tank with nothing else but some peppermint shrimp, and ofcourse some coral frags. I have had a pair of these spawn many years ago but had no success. The difficulty is getting the right sized foods for such tiny and delicate larvae, i believe. But as I love a challenge, i'm determined to raise these. These have been raised in captivity before, but by very few people and don't believe they have been done in AU.

Last edited by chris melb on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris melb

Re: G.Okinawae (Yellow Coral Goby) Breeding Journal

Postby chris melb » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:56 pm

The batch I am currently trying to raise is the second as I missed the first spawn. Returning an hour later after switching all the lights and pumps off, I only saw three larvae when shining a torch. It looks like the entire nest hatched as there were no more eggs. Its possible amphipods etc got them. Next time will check sooner after lights out. The three were scooped up (collected) using a measuring spoon. Anyway as I'm only dealing with three this is a simple run to see if they can survive past their yolk reserve on a haphazard supply of harp pods and most likely ciliates. These are currently in a 2litre systemia tuppaware container that sits inside a tank. I'm keeping a compact fluorescent on for 24hrs a day.

Tried to get a close up of the eggs.

Cheers,

Chris
chris melb

Re: G.Okinawae (Yellow Coral Goby) Breeding Journal

Postby chris melb » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Day #3 and to my surprise all three larvae are still alive!!!! I will see if i can get some pics of larvae soon but they wont be very good ones.
chris melb

Re: G.okinawae (Yellow Coral Goby) Breeding Journal

Postby Gregg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:04 am

I'd be interested in exactly what food items you are using. And also in purchasing a couple of your first successfully raised batch!

Good luck!
Gregg

Postby Luis A M » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=496
Chris,find yourself in that old thread! :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby chris melb » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:45 am

Gregg wrote:I'd be interested in exactly what food items you are using. And also in purchasing a couple of your first successfully raised batch!

Good luck!

Thanks Greg, currently feeding brood stock NewLife spectrum pellets and newly hatched baby brine. But tank is also full of live mysids and amphipods. Will keep you updated

Larvae were fed harpacticoid pods and most likely cilliates. In this run they, survived to Day 4 but then died. I have another nest due soon and will have a better setup for them ready in time hopefully.
chris melb

Postby chris melb » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:53 am

Luis A M wrote:http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=496
Chris,find yourself in that old thread! :D

Thanks Luis, yep read your great journal many times back then and re read again now. It keeps me going knowing some people can have success :). Would love get my hands on some calanoid pods but here in Australia it would mean me going to down to the beach to collect and isolate (which I very well may do when time permits). Harp pods I have but prob not as ideal as calanoid (bethnic vs calanoid). I know Ed mentions these can be raised on L strain rots and baby brine. But I'm yet to see anyone else succeed using traditional feeds.

Luis, have you raised any more of these?
chris melb

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Yup a trip to the beach is always fun :wink: Though I´m not sure what you´ll find in winter,unless you are close to the tropic?.
See raising of G.citrinus: viewtopic.php?f=182&t=10102
Luis
Luis A M

Postby chris melb » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:57 am

Not close the tropic. Thought there would still be some in the waters despite it being winter. I have rotifers, and harp pods might try that combination.
chris melb

Postby Amie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 am

How's this project going? It would be fantastic if you could raise these!
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby chris melb » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:53 am

Haven't tried to raise any subsequent batches just yet. Ramping up my rotifer cultures and setting up a proper larval system for these, which allow me to observe them better. Can't wait to do a second round. :). More to come soon hopefully....
chris melb

Postby chris melb » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 am

Finally got my act together, now that I have SS type rotifers, and collected around 70 larvae 3 days ago. They had very large yolk reserves and appeared very active, which is a good sign of larval health. Despite their energy, they never appeared to be great swimmers, even prior to collection. I can still see some alive at 3dph but definitely not 70. Hopefully over the next day or two I'll be able to confirm whether they are eating. I'll be over the moon even if I get one to meta :).

Stay tuned...

Chris
chris melb

Postby Luis A M » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:57 pm

I wish you the best luck with them.If they don´t feed on SS rots,try to obtain copepods. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby chris melb » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks Luis, I have two alive at 5 dph so i'm assuming they're eating something. I know that Ed was able to raise them on L strain Rotifers and made it sound rather easy so I'm happy to try a few runs with SS-type. I do keep cultures of harpacticoids and noticed that some are also in the kreisel. However, your right Luis, I really do need to get my act together and get some calanoids, which aren't all that easy here in Australia.

Here is brief vid of them at 2 dph after live phyto (nannochlorpsis) cleared.
https://youtu.be/t3y00sKyauI

I think that their swim bladder is possibly not fully developed at 2dph.
At 5dph (today) I think only two remain but they are in the water column now.
I have another batch hatching in 4 days and will try a BRT instead of my Kreisel, which is used more for observation and tended to get clogged with the nanno additions.

Chris
chris melb

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi Chris,are they still hanging around ?.
I can´t take that new born larvae could take any rots,even SS.Ed Diaz must have had some unnoticed ciliate in his rearing tank :?
Try Apocyclops panamensis,small and easy. :wink: I could give you some,if you can get them.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby chris melb » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi Luis

Unfortunately they didn't make it past day 6. I'll see if I can get Apocyclops panamensi in Australia. I can't seem to easily find Parvo but still trying some Universities. It would be great if you could supply me some but not sure that is possible due Australian biosecurity. It thank you so much for the offer. I should take a plankton net to the beach and see what I get. I have a another hatching tonight or tomorrow night and will try seeing if I can stimulate a ciliate bloom.
chris melb

Return to Gobiodon - Clown Gobies