Gobiodon citrinus-Luis A M

Re: Gobiodon citrinus-Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Suzy wrote:No, you should let everyone know! That is really cool! I'm only at 6, unless I can count pods and brine shrimps!

Oops!.I missed my blennies!.Plus an easy seahorse.Which brings the score to 19 spp. 8)
There should be data of who has raised what among MOFIB members... :idea:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Suzy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Do you think we should put it in our sig lines? I know I dont want it to be a competition.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Perhaps a list of species being raised by members,available from the landing page.
But back to the topic.I am beginning to catch juvies and move them to grow-out.Not an easy task,cause the wall is covered with a thick carpet of algae where the gobies take cover.
This is a juvenile at 58 days,pictured at different angles.See that the blue lines typical of this species are showing between the eye and the pectoral fin:

A perfect little goby,only 7mm long!:

Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:55 pm

I moved 27 juveniles to grow-out.
Not a bad number considering their long time to settlement and that it was my first time with them. 8)
I frequently still get 1-3 juvs in my larval runs. :roll:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Broke down the BRT.Final count was 32 juvs. 8)
End of this long larval run.Thanks for watching,I hope you enjoyed it.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Suzy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:53 pm

I very much did! Thanks for posting it!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby picci » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi Luis, new to the site but amazed by what you all are doing. Congrs.
I like so much gobies that I decided to breed Citrinus and Valencienna strigata. I bought two citrinus in my shop (I live in Italy) and from that moment I was ashamed how ferocius could be these nice and tender fishes regardless you read on many books and readings. The acquarium is quite big, only these two fishes in 180l with many hiding tools. But still the dominant is triggering the other poor fellow. So my question is : how did you formed the breeding pair? Also, what is the food you use especially in the very first days of live.
I do really thank you for any suggestion and tips.
For strigata, I hope the situation will be easier (I bought two fishes, but one died the first night in my quarantine tank :( ).

Greetings
picci
picci

Postby Luis A M » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Ciao,Picci,benvenuto! :D
Gobiodon are hermaphrodites,so any two will pair off.If they fight much,you could keep them temporarily separated with a see thru partition.
Valenciennea are often sold as mated pairs.Be warned that their larvae are extremely small and I don't recall they could be ever raised :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby picci » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:22 am

Grazie per il benvenuto, Luis.
Well, it seems that now the two fishes are going to be more "friendly" each other....crossing fingers.
I read in some other topics that patience is also an important value. So I keep an eye and let them pair in the 180l be ready with the separator. If you insead think also that a smaller vessel is better, I move them right now in this case starting with the separator.
For valenciennea, I maybe misunderstood what written in the Book (Wittenrich's guide) about feasible fish to reproduce. No problem, I like them so much I will enyoj just looking, of course when it is out from its buried nest.
Picci
picci

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 am

You can spawn Gobiodon in a 10 gal or larger tank,it doesn't matter.But you should have them spawning on something removable.A piece of Acropora is often preferred.
I have not Witt's book here.Does he say Valenciennea were raised?. :? They produce egg masses inside their caves,which results in thousands of tiny larvae,a tank full :shock:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby picci » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 am

Hi Luis, in pag 224 of Witt's book, it is mentioned that "....This species (Cryptocentrus Cinctus) has recently been raised in Europe. Similarly, the many species in the genus Valencienna, the sleeper gobies, routinely spawns in the acquariums. The eggs of these species are quite large, as are the resulting larvae. Most species will prove to be easily raised.....". Anyway, later, there is no dedicated chapter to them. That is why I was convinced about the feasibility.
Regarding my gobies, it is an up and down situation. Now they love each other, in 10 mintues time the male fiercily goes toward the female, and so on and so further. But, they have selected two points of the acquarium for their excercise.....I am looking forward to seeing the eggs/larves, even if I am still looking for small cops for feeding....
Picci
picci

Postby picci » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi Luis,
almost one year from my post...and a lot of trials in due time. I lost one fish, recover the couple with a new one and finally I was able to collect some larvae/different hatching but after few days I lost them....my food is NHBBS as no way to have in Italy small pods. I was now thinking to try with a kind of co-culturing of tisbe hopefully the nauplii being available. What do you think? I was also wondering about the amount of water over the larvae. They are laying at the very bottom, so I was thinking to just some cm of water.
Picci
picci

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 am

E vero,Picci,un anno gia! :shock: Ci hai mancato!.
There is no way that you could raise your larvae (or almost any other marine fish) with bbs.You need rotifers or better calanoid naups. :wink:
As for my citrinus,they grew into large nice fish and were sold.I kept some few that spawn and hatch regularly.But they never became yellow as the wildstock,they all are a reddish brown colour.Strange :? .
Luis
Luis A M

Postby picci » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:39 am

Ciao Luis,
tu scrivi dall'Argentina, vero? Io sono stata solo alle cascate di Iguazu: meravigliose!!!!
Well, back to our topic. I can have some acartia, but are they small enough or I have to co-culture with larvae? One of my fish is yellow (even if it lives with a lot of white spots :( ) the other is more brown...I guess about the colour of the babies. Of course, when I will be able to see them:-)
In this year I succeded with some ocellaris and wundermanni. And also seahorses (even if I am having some problems in moving them from live to dead food). Now I am trying with ambo (hard and almost impossible job , I know). Kauderni are pairing but not really willing to make me mother :P . While premnas, anytime bad eggs quality (very pale eggs that arrive till clearly visible eyes, but then no hatching).
You see, I was silent but searching and reading the web.
Cristina
picci

Postby Luis A M » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Yes,when we say copepods,we mean the nauplii,adults are the size of bbs or larger :wink:
You have a lot to tell us! :wink: Why don't you start your own thread in the European Forum?.Puoi anche scrivere nella lingua del Dante e quindi sara una attrazzione per aquaristi italiani che vogliano raccontare loro esperienze e non sono bene con l'inglese... 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Previous

Return to Gobiodon - Clown Gobies