Euphyllia ancora- "budding"??

Euphyllia ancora- "budding"??

Postby damer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm

here is a photo of my Euphyllia ancora

youcan see 2 small white bits hanging off the bottom of the coral. these are quite loose and could easily be removed. would these be the coral reproducing asexually?

any tips on removing them, or just let them go and find their own place to live.

sorry if it seems a bit basic, i have just never seen it before.

Damien
damer

Re: Euphyllia ancora- "budding"??

Postby Anthony Calfo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Cheers, Damer. No worries on the question... please don't ever hesitate to ask anything. We have members of all skill levels here and many that are simply too shy to ask but are grateful I'm sure for questions like yours.

What you are observing on your Euphyllia is a satellite. Such buds are dripped or dropped "intentionally" or stress induced. As a reproductive strategy, it is common, for example, in Goniopora where healthy colonies may drop a dozen or more buds per month. Yet this method involves the formation of a calcareous nodule that slowly grows in a modified tentacle until the satellite is too heavy and tears away, at which time it is adequately large enough to survive as a free-living specimen.

Your situation is different, as best I can see from the picture. Stress induced satellites are formed by damage to the septa. The coral is trying to export fragments of the corallum that would otherwise be dangerous (abrasion, tearing of polyps, etc) if allowed to remain in the tissue. This method of exporting a fragment may still lead to a bud that is free living. But it is more unlikely. Part of the problem here is that your Euphyllia is not a free living coral (like the sand-dwelling Goniopora species, Fungia, etc). Instead Euphyllia only lives on hard substrates. And when your satellites are large enough to break away, they really don't have a good mechanism for anchoring to a new substrate. This form of budding is really more about exporting a dangerous frag of corallum.

Regardless... it is important that you leave it alone until the ball grows large enough to tear away on its own. The tissue supporting it needs to constrict more so that the final tear is less of a risk for infection.

Capture the satellites if you can and put them in a rubble cup/trough with substrate around 2-4mm in grain size. You have a chance that tissue will be attached to some rubble and perhaps give the satellite a base to begin to grow upon.

The greater concern here is for the parent to heal. It clearly got bumped at some point and frags of skeleton were rattling around a bit.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby damer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Cheers Anthony,

it is possible it has been damaged somehow, but i cant remember doing it. ive had a bit of a possible dinoflagellate issue of late and have been doing a bit of additional "cleaning". it also close to the glass. anything is possible there, as my kids love the magnetic cleaner :)
damer

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am

Here's my frogspawn doing this:

[ig]http://www.ummfish.com/images/Gallery/frog01.jpg[/img]

The satellite frag did pretty well for a while but didn't manage to solidly attach before getting swept into the tank.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Return to Asexual Reproduction