RBTA (Entacmaea quadricolor) - Oral Disk Budding?

RBTA (Entacmaea quadricolor) - Oral Disk Budding?

Postby mpedersen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:22 am

I really don't know what's going on with my RBTA. IT kinda looks like it's budding a growth off the oral disk. See the pictures. What do YOU think?

mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Spracklcat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 am

Weird. I haven't seen that before either. Have you fed it recently?
Spracklcat

Postby mpedersen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:14 am

Yes, I think it is indirectly fed regularly. At this point, it covers the entire footprint / surface of a 6 gallon nanocube, so anytime I feed the clownfish, the anemone gets food - probably as much as the clownfish.
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Spracklcat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Still no idea--but how do you maintain water quality in such a small tank? What fishes are in there?
Spracklcat

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Spracklcat wrote:Still no idea--but how do you maintain water quality in such a small tank? What fishes are in there?

The current fish are an infrequently spawning pair of Black Ocellaris. There used to also be at one point a mated pair fo Neon Gobies, but one of them kicked the bucket in a week, and the other disappeared after a couple years (presumably old age / anemone). While I still had the one neon, and probably before the anemone (I'd have to check my records), I tried a mated pair of Yasha Hase gobies, but one of them jumped right off the bat. I recently sold the other one when I realied it was going to have problems with the ever increasing size of the anemone.

At it's peak, 5 fish in a 6 gallon cube. Currently 2 larger fish. With the anemone's size, at this point any fish going in would be anemone food. I have thought about adding in a pair of anemone crabs or something.

As far as maintiaining water quality, I just do regular 2 gallon water changes.

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby traveller7 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Matt,

Looks like an injury based on past experience. I had a pair of maroons that were quite abusive to BTAs and years later quite a few deformities, "bubbles", remain on the oral disk, tentacle structure, etc.

Keep and eye on it and document it, but it appears to be physical damage from the pic.

Cheers.
traveller7

Postby timthetoolman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:03 am

Matt, mine does this all the time. It's in a 125 with a very light fish load, so water quality is good, 250w MHs, good flow.

I have stopped feeding mine as they don't need it but I use to feed it silver sides however I don't remember seeing any back then. I might start feeding it again and see if they go away. I have friends with these weird appendages too and they are doing fine.

Sometimes we wonder if it was a clown in it's past life because some of the 'knobs' look like balloon animals :lol:
timthetoolman

Re: RBTA (Entacmaea quadricolor) - Oral Disk Budding?

Postby neman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:21 am

i have noticed that in newly aquired wild specimens its jsu something that happens .one of the tentacles may have been damaged in the past and thats just the re-growth
neman

Return to Asexual Reproduction