Getting a BTA to split

Getting a BTA to split

Postby Miles » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:28 pm

I had one split on me the day after I moved to a new tank with new water after it had been in a tank 6 months, with semi dirty water. Did it split due to moving stress, new water stress, or new water love? I was thinking of moving it to another new batch of water to see if it'd do it again. Does anyone else know of a way to induce splitting artificially?
Miles

Postby mpedersen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:01 pm

All I can offer up is that I've heard all you really have to do to get BTAs to split is feed them heavily. Or you can put them under the knife if your'e in a hurry :) But naturally, supposedly it's just heavy feeding.

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Spracklcat » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Sometimes they do split from stress too--it's a reproductive strategy. One half may stay, the other half wanders, and there is a better chance that part will survive. The problem with using this method to propagate them is 1) it's unpredictable, and 2) each split leaves a half-size anemone. So Matt is absolutely right--feed, feed, feed. Small pieces is best--I chop up "marine meats: squid, shrimp, clams, etc, and freeze it flat, then go back and grate the frozen block. It makes a nice inexpensive nutritious food. Or, you could go the easy way and feed mysis :P
Spracklcat

Postby PaulG » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:50 am

You might find this an interesting method.....

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=188925&highlight=bta

HTH
PaulG
PaulG

Postby Spracklcat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:55 am

Paul, that link doesn't work for non-MASA members--can you give us a summary?
Spracklcat

Postby PaulG » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:18 pm

:o

Your not a member of MASA!!!! :wink:

This should give enough info.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/vtanthony/?action=view&current=Movie_0005.flv
PaulG

Postby robinscp » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:47 am

Is that for real!!!!!

What is the survival rate?????
robinscp

State/Region: Hull

Postby Spracklcat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:47 am

Success is close to 100% if you make clean cuts close to the middle--I usually use a sharp knife on a utting board, but the video showed cutting with scissors and he did a beautiful job.
Spracklcat

Postby Hoopsguru » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:36 pm

I have also had 100% survival rate cutting both in half and into quarters. I have used a scissors or my preferred method is with a scalpel. I have likely produced 10-15 anemones this way experimenting with my colony.
Hoopsguru

Postby CmonSnz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Anyone,

Are you cutting through the mouth in the center or do you leave the mouth whole on one of the halves?

Thanks,

John
CmonSnz

Postby Spracklcat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Try to go through the mouth, but I've heard that even if you don't it doesn't matter. It isn't difficult to get the mouth bisected though--instead of starting at an edge, drive the blade down into the mouth, cut to the edge, and then turn it around and do the same thing the other way.
Spracklcat

Postby Oceanarium » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:31 pm

Putting the BTA into a sling of s/s wire or nylon mono and allowing it to split under its own wieght produces a less invasive wound.

Also you can go rather aggressive using this type of division its a little tricky to set up but you can make up a wire mesh pattern about 1cm. You then need to make a current to push the anemone up against the mesh. You dont want excessive current just enough to force the anemone up against the mesh. It takes about 24hrs and you have heaps of small anemones working their way through the mesh :D

Using this method there is much less chance of infection especialy so with the more massive type anemones. Never tried the mesh method on a massive anemone only BTA's it may work I must try one day (But with a much larger mesh).
Pete
Oceanarium

Re:

Postby Spracklcat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 pm

Putting the BTA into a sling of s/s wire or nylon mono and allowing it to split under its own weight produces a less invasive wound.

Why? Cutting it with a wire or a blade is still the same thing--and if the argument is that the slow cut allows the anemone to heal gradually...a blade-dissected anemone is usually pinched together before you even get it back into the main prop tank, and has formed a new whole mouth in mere days.

WRT the mesh method--I'd love to see pics of that--I'd think the anemone would just crawl to a nicer place, not allow itself to be macerated. Usually that only happens by pump accident :)
Spracklcat

Postby Oceanarium » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:31 am

Not quite a pump accident, but an accident gave me the origional idea to try it. I had one go through gutter gaurd on a overflow and found all the small anemone's in the sump in good health.

The wire sling makes a less agressive cut it seems much more like a natural split rather than a cut. Not so important with BTA's as they work realy well no matter how you go about it. But with other anemones like Magnifica's and Haddons we have had infections get into the rather large wounds of a fresh cut. once they get an infection it needs constant washing in clean sea water and absolute top quality tank water to beat the necrosis. The decaying tissue realy does not help to keep the water quality good so it can be quite a lot of work to get things back on track.

Using a sling to divide these anemones is heaps easier. When you try to cut them they are actualy quite leathery and because of the size quite hard to hold. also because of the size you cant get one clean cut it needs repeated attempts and all starts getting rather messy.
Pete
Oceanarium

Postby MotherFish » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:52 pm

Pete, I'd really like to see photos of what you're talking about.
I can't quite picture it in my head.
MotherFish

Postby timthetoolman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:14 pm

Here's an interesting thread.
timthetoolman

Postby cl2ysta1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:04 pm

I get 100% success from cutting my anemones in half. I usually just use a razorblade. right through the middle of the mouth
cl2ysta1

Postby milin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:39 pm

there is a local here in hampton roads who does rbta's professionally so to say, i have a few. anyways he has a 75 gallon tank full and his method to make them split is a 50% water change. of course they are in a tank by them selfs. he does this once a month. not much use to most people but i thought i would comment.
milin

Postby Hobbo73 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:42 am

Hi All i was woundering what species / types of anomenes you are all talking about as i tried an experiment with some the other day and cut in half with a large knife,single slice with little to no sawing, a large carpet (approx 30cm dia) and a large (its either a corkscrew or large tenticale?) approx 20-25cm dia, sorry they were wild caught ones so not so sure of the ids but they do host clowns and look great. But out of the 2 anomenes that i split i now only have 1 half of the carpet left? I think it was a water quality issue as they were only in 70l plastic tubs with a deep sand substrate, but with little to nofilteration, as i said it was only an experiment, to see if i could culture them?

So i guess my question any ideas what i did wrong? or what went wrong?Tho next time i will definatly improve the filteration for starters rather than just a static system, and i might even try the wire sling or mesh idea to see how that works? I was also concerned that the wound area may have become infected thru contact with the sand? as the area of the wounds particularly on the LT's appeared to have sand stuck to it?

Sorry for the stack of questions i am just tring to get some ideas of where i went wrong before i even consider having another go at it, and any help would be much apprecated.

Cheers

Andrew
Hobbo73

Re: Getting a BTA to split

Postby neman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:59 am

hi guys im the person who started that thread on the masa forum im the culprit that took to fragging anemones.

its was only 2 mins ago that opsted a link to the actual thread i started
neman

Postby neman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:02 am

what you need is a nice pair of sharp scissors like a haidresser set you can buy them from your drug store or as we say in oz chemist/pharmacy make sure there stainless steel and rinse them after cutting and wash your hands they stink like hell
neman

Postby neman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:10 am

hobbo 73 i have tried carpet aenmones and they dont seem to like being cut they have a hard time re-attching to anything i have had carpets float for days only to die/unlike n\BTA they have attched within the hour and have started expanding aswell.
there is no need for feeding \during the first week as they have no mouths till they heal.although you can give very small bits of prawn to them .and it basically rots away in side the anemone
neman

Return to Asexual Reproduction