Welcome to the new Asexual Coral Propagation Forum

Welcome to the new Asexual Coral Propagation Forum

Postby mpedersen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Today has been a slow day at work (lots of transferring files and installing software) so I've been rumaging around the MOFIB suggestion box and actually doing stuff that people want!

This forum was requested by a few members a couple months back ( http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1460 ) and Christine volunteered to be a mod, so guess what happened - there's a new forum and Christine (Spraklcat) is the mod!

Here's the deal - most all of the founding members of MOFIB were fish breeders, with the ocassional treasured shrimp breeder thrown in for good measure. The last thing we wanted was to have a new community where fragging was simply a way of life and took over the entire board. My thoughts on an asexual propagation forum would be that it would focus on high-end, quality discussions, not a bunch of "how do I frag my Xenia or Kenya Tree or Acropora" type discussions - that information abounds already. Along the same lines, we are not welcoming the sales of frag packs, frags, aquacultured corals, chopped wild colonies etc, so any mod here is well within their power to summarily remove such posts. We DO allow for members who are actively selling sexually reproduced items in the marketplace to also list asexually produced items as a courtesy to these sellers.

Which brings me to the main motivation for adding this new forum. Coral Farming is an established practice and may be widely responsible for conserving natural coral reefs. Additionally, coral farming can provide the profits necessary for Marine Ornamental Fish and Invert Breeders to try their hands at breeding fish and inverts. In other words, Asexual Coral Propagation may provide the support needed for some business to make advancements in sexual reproduction of the live in our tanks (including corals themselves)!

So there it is, I'll turn the mic over to Christine!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Spracklcat » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Wow, Matt, talk about taking the words out of my mouth :) ...I had written this and was about to post:

Hello everyone, and thanks to Matt and the MOFIB crew for allowing me to participate by moderating this new forum.

By popular demand, MOFIB is branching out to include this forum to discuss asexual reproduction of invertebrates. Hobbyists are turning to mass production of corals and other marine inverts in ever-greater numbers, as is evidenced by the number of people building greenhouses and other propagation facilities. And in fact, such facilities may help drive research into sexual reproduction as well: for now, asexual division is arguably the most profitable and successful way of growing inverts. With success comes a bit of money (we hope), and with money and space comes the ability for people to experiment more, be it by adding a few breeding pairs of fish to a coral grow-out tank, or finding a niche in the corner of the greenhouse to hold a tank for some neat experimentation.

Like every other forum here, the quality of content is dependent not as much on the moderator as it is on the member-contributors. With that standard, I know this will be a great place for sharing new ideas and current work, and I look forward to being a part of it.

Christine
Spracklcat

Postby Alti » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:43 am

:)

Just noticed the new forum. Thanks, now I can do more than lurk around here :)
Alti

Postby Spracklcat » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:05 pm

Indeed, welcome!
Spracklcat

Return to Asexual Reproduction