Tube Anemone

Tube Anemone

Postby aquagrrl » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 pm

I have a really cool anemone a friend found as part of a hitchhiker many years ago. It has made 4 different tank moves with me, and while it seems to wax and wane in terms of how it's doing, overall it's been a pretty hardy anemone. It has to be fed, and sometimes it migrates away from where the food is plentiful, and shrinks a bit, but once it moves back to where there is food, it gets bigger again.

I believe it is Edwardsia sp.

Anyway, I'd love to propagate it, but I have no idea if it's even possible or how to encourage it to reproduce asexually. I don't want to cut it. Too much risk for a unique critter to try that. So, has anyone ever got one of these to clone, or even a guess of how to do it? Does anyone know if it's possible that they might not even produce asexually?
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Re: Tube Anemone

Postby Amie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:37 am

I don't have any experience with tube anemones, but quite a bit of experience with asexual reproduction with long-tenacle anemones. Feeding a lot has always been a guaranteed method to get my anemones to split. Another way is to put a rubber band around the center, essentially strapping it down to a rock, making it impossible to free itself without splitting. I haven't tried this method, even though I have heard it works. My anemones split like rabbits so I don't encourage them.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby till » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 am

is it a tube anemone? looks like Bunodosoma cavernata to me.
till

Postby aquagrrl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:58 pm

till wrote:is it a tube anemone? looks like Bunodosoma cavernata to me.

While I have no doubt the ID could be wrong, I looked up Bunodosoma cavernata, and that's not it. Some of the tentacle coloration is similar, but that's where it ends. It's whole foot stays submerged; and the two times I've had to move it, I've had to dig through the sand to find it, because when it wants to be gone, it just disappears.

I think I may have to just try feeding it as much as I can and see if it splits. Up until now, I don't target feed it, so much as make sure it's getting food. It's in a crappy position though, so I'll have to figure out how I can target feed it.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Return to Asexual Reproduction