skylight selection help for coral raceway

skylight selection help for coral raceway

Postby r33fking » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi all,I am relocating my coral raceway to a new building . my plans are to install four 4'x4' skylights over the raceways .
i have a great south facing roof to work with here .
i am having a hard time finding skylights that are UV open or at least allow high UV transmittance .
if anyone has any links for companies that carry or manufacture products that would suit my needs please do share!
i am also interested in any info regarding other specifications i should look into before buying skylights for this purpose. this is the first time i have looked into buying skylights and i know very little about what materials are ideal for my project .

i would appreciate any advice
thanks alot
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Re: skylight selection help for coral raceway

Postby jeff@zina.com » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Nobody wants skylights with high UV transmission, they would likely be a custom job.

On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything about UV being of benefit to corals. I know a NOAA study a while back found UV to contribute to bleaching on reefs, not sure how it translates to a controlled aquaculture system.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby Scottt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Does the UV help with color in a coral?
Scottt

Postby r33fking » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 pm

it is my understanding that UV is essential . alot of the greenhouse farmers are having to seek out rare uv open greenhouse films because common materials for growing plants filter UV .
anthony calfo has quite a bit to say on the matter pertaining to greenhouse films and i would imagine it would be of importance when selecting skylights for my purpose .
i doubt i need completely UV open but as little filtering as possible. i am hoping for 50%+ uv admittance .
i would like to do the filtering and shading myself inside rather than getting into skylights that filter too much and not be able to control it
r33fking

Postby Scottt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:47 pm

I know polycarbonate stops about 100% of UV, so that is out. Plexi lets it through right? What about clear PVC?
Scottt

Postby Oceanarium » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:50 am

I would not be too worried about it, UV certainly helps increase coral colours but only a little is needed for this. It becomes all more important when running lights like narrow band LED with no UV at all. I know some very impressive Skylighted tanks using polycarbonate or skytunnels etc with awesome colours. Consider that most MH fittings come with a UV filter glass or sleeve and are used for reef aquaria.

Its pretty easy to use some UV LED for supplemental light though to much is detrimental to growth;

" While several physical factors may influence reef coral physiology, the results suggest that slight increases in UVR can debilitate the skeletal constitution and severely reduce the fecundity of corals living in shallow waters."

Taken from here - http://www.springerlink.com/content/d8460rp7u6784x71/?MUD=MP

I use LED emitters in the near IR range at 410nm to increase colours dramatically about 6 watts per 2ft square to 18in deep does the job well.

There are also relatively new specific polycarbonate products being experimented with for greenhouses, I don't know much about these though I was talking to a renowned horticulturalist who had been trialing some and he was quite impressed it might be worth researching about for coral applications.
Pete
Oceanarium

Postby r33fking » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:34 pm

i really appreciate the responses guys thank you !
this will be my first run using natural sunlight aside from tanks in front of windows .
in the new building i have about 700 sqft of space under a south facing low slope roof to play with .
originally i was considering a greenhouse build but due too budget constraints and potential heating and cooling issues i have decided to go this route .
i should be able to skylight the heck out of this building while still having good temp control with little more than small a/c and heating units .
now to find some discounted skylights .
r33fking

Postby r33fking » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 pm

ill contact velux this week to see what they have and post my findings .
r33fking

Return to Asexual Reproduction