Discussion-Techniques and ideas for brood stock.

Postby Oceanarium » Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 am

Been a bit quiet in this forum for a while :o

How about a discussion sharing ways to maintain ongoing asexual coral divisions in a coral farming situation ?

I have been refining and discovering lots new ideas the few short years since starting our coral farm, I am sure there are plenty of other great ideas too. Its always been a problem for us on how to not only grow corals quick enough to make a profit but also how to get the best out of the brood colonies as well to maintain on going supplies pacing our sales.

The first one I will raise is our staghorn style growth forms. I found pruning them to gain a lot of height aids good water flow around the colony. I prune off the lateral axial polyps along the stem as they form and grow to about 2-3cm. In the picture you can see several short lateral Axial polyps forming in differing areas from the base upwards these are the ones that form our clones.
Pete
Oceanarium

Postby DavideAM » Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 am

Have you tried maintaining higher calc and alk to see if you gain any faster growth?
DavideAM

State/Region: New York

Re: Discussion-Techniques and ideas for brood stock.

Postby Ben » Thu May 16, 2013 6:26 am

Hi Pete
Good to see some fresh info and ideas
Hope a few tune in that are fraging/propagating
Your work has been amazing over the past few years
I show my wife pics of your shed when she says i have to many tanks and it brings me back out of trouble :wink:
Ben

Postby Scottt » Fri May 17, 2013 12:18 pm

This is off topic, but where could I see pics of the prop shed?
Scottt

Postby Oceanarium » Tue May 21, 2013 12:48 am

DavideAM wrote:Have you tried maintaining higher calc and alk to see if you gain any faster growth?

Keeping alk high is known to be of benefit, you also get gains from a high stable PH helps keep the problems algae's under control.

I see my best gains working on the correct light spectrum and intensity for the coral type.

Nutrient plays an important role, though its always a balance not to overdo. I tend to keep my nutrient input limited, I get slower growth but tanks have few issues so need little work to look after.
Ben wrote:I show my wife pics of your shed when she says i have to many tanks and it brings me back out of trouble :wink:

My wife just rolls her eyes now when I say a new tank is going in :roll:
Scottt wrote:This is off topic, but where could I see pics of the prop shed?

I will PM a link to my TJ.

Another method we use to help increase the production is to cut our clones of Parrancora, Duncanopsamia and Caulastrea very close to the new growth. Often enough tissue remains in the skeletal left behind that a new head reforms where the old one was. Added benefit is the new head will also encrust to the new base so is held on much stronger than glue alone.
Pete
Oceanarium

Return to Asexual Reproduction