My Synchiropus picturatus Breeding Log

My Synchiropus picturatus Breeding Log

Postby Nick's Reef » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:00 pm

Well I got interested in keeping mandarins a year or so ago after a friend had paired them and had them eating frozen and after eading a few articles by Matt Wittenrich. I got a female Synchiropus picturatus close to a year ago and added her to my 24gal SPS reef. A few months latter I upgraded to a 40brd where my current pair resides. My female was eating frozen spirulina brine when I perchased her and is now eating Rod's Food. Last night I was a favorite LFS of mine Ocean's Below in North Palm Beach, Fl and they had just gotten an amazing shippment of fish one of the fish was a gourgeous plump and very healthy male Synchiropus picturatus. I asked if I could see if ihe even showed the slightest interest in live brine and much to my and my good friend Rob who owns the store's suprise he not only was interested in it but devored it a very good sign. So I purchased the fish witht he intent of pairing my female. I placed him straight into my 40brd SPS reef display that he shares with the female, a royal gramma, and a small female lyertail anthias. The other fish tend to stay out of the females way so I planned on having no issue in getting enough food to both of them. Last night when I placed the male in the tank after a roughly 30min acclimation he just sat on the sandbed whiel the female hung out in a cave on the left side of the tank. Todya when I got home from school tehy were together hunting for pods. He's eaitng live brine aggressivly and I hope to have him on frozen brine within a week but that's just wishful thinking at this point. Currently I don't plan on raising the fry if I can collect any but if i can get a good batch of eggs over summer break I might give it a shot. I started this thread just to document my experiences with these fish and any spawning behavoir that occurs. Now here's a pic of the pair:

Male around 3"

Female around 2"

I'll try to get a pic of the pair together, right now they are being very reclusive, once I spot them out and about I will take a pic.
-Nick
Nick's Reef

Re: My Synchiropus picturatus Breeding Log

Postby Nick's Reef » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Well after just over 24hrs of being in the same tank together the mandarins already made the false spawning rises! The oved from the back of the tank to front and center then the male began to slowly make his way to the surfcae with female in tow, they stopped 3/4 of the way up, then sat in the sand an made another, this time closer to the surface, then came back down and made the third and final rise. The last time they were chest to chest and made a spiral, i had a video of it but the camera didn't save it. :x I guess I'll have to be ready tomorrow night, they began to venture out into the open as soon as the lights went out then I decided to shut the pumps off just to see if they'd make a rise and sure enough they did. 30min later and they went back to hunting for pods and I turned the pumps back on. I did get a good pic of the pair together though.

-Nick
Nick's Reef

Re: My Synchiropus picturatus Breeding Log

Postby Nick's Reef » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:56 pm

It's been 10 days since i purchased them male and he resused all offerings except frozen bloodworms and Live Brine. So he's getting nice and fat eating bloodworms soaked in vita-chem since the cheapest I can get selcon locally is around $20 and I'm trying to save for and upcoming frag swap. I did get a video awhile back of them making a false spawning rise and I'll post it soon. They make 1-4 nightly when the lights go out.
-Nick
Nick's Reef

Return to Callionymidae - Dragonetts