Nemateleotris decora (Purple Firefish) - breeding log?

Nemateleotris decora (Purple Firefish) - breeding log?

Postby DrHsu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:45 am

I've been keeping a pair of Purple Firefish for maybe half a year now - definite pair, purchased because I noticed both of them kind of finning or maybe trying to burrow in front of a coral rock at a dealer's tank. Created an artificial nesting site by overturning a clay pot cut in half, with one of the drain holes above the external substrate. This pot was pushed against one side of the tank, and that side was covered with a piece of black plastic - removable for observation.

The pair used the pot for hiding and sleeping, but generally would be out in the open most of the day. Some time last week, I noted that the female (what I assumed to be the female - slightly bigger abdominal area, pale area of the body further back along the body) spending more time in the nest to the extent of not even coming out to eat. Then a few days ago, the male also decided to not come out even for food. Peeking into the nest, they seem to be defending one corner of the pot, always putting their bodies between myself and the corner, which was slightly depressed. They would even come forward towards me, as if attacking.

The other day, after the female's abdomen looked a slight bit less rotund, I was doing my daily voyeurism when I saw the female moving into the corner and grab something that looked like a small gelatinous mass of eggs in her mouth, moving it off to the right. Thinking that I might have scared them a bit too much, I immediately closed the viewing window as I was afraid they would consume the "eggs" in fear. I have been looking daily since, but have not seen anymore gelatinous masses in the corner again, although they continue to defend the area. Thinking back, I cannot be 100% sure those were eggs although I can't think what else it could have been as the tank is rather devoid of anything besides sand and terracotta/clay breeding structures....So, I hope! :D

Today, I took a picture of the pair in their nest - you can see them blocking the corner where the depression in the sand is...
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Re: Nemateleotris decora (Purple Firefish) - breeding log?

Postby KMB » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Li Chieh

I'm excited to read this thread and have my fingers crossed for a good spawning. I want to let you know that when my N. helfrichi spawned the eggs were attached to the inside of a pvc fitting in the same manner that clown eggs are attached. The helfrichi did not produce a gelatinous mass. The eggs were difficult for me to see against the white of the pvc until they were eyed and even then I had to use a flashlight to confirm they were truly there.

I love your clay pot idea with the observation option. I'll be stopping by the garden shop today to get one for my dartfish :D

Looking forward to hearing more on this!

Karen
KMB

Postby lance » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:11 am

Nice pair, good luck with your efforts I'll be rooting for your success.

lance
http://www.youtube.com/user/CoralMan24

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/lancelesko/

Always quarantine new arrival's before adding to breeding tank's or display
lance

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:04 am

Li Chieh,

I always assumed that these gobies would be pelagic spawners ... no clue why, was just my assumption .
Does one know how they spawn?
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby DrHsu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:14 pm

According to a report in the Breeders Registry http://www.breedersregistry.org/database/NEMDEC01.htm, they lay eggs in a depression in the substrate. I've always thought this to be rather odd as they sleep in caves/burrows so why would they lay their eggs in the open substrate? There are no details if it's a bare tank or decorated so perhaps they were in a bare tank and had no real choice??

I actually noted one of them mouthing the side of the pot - like clowns do. But I looked, and looked and looked....but could not see anything at all on the pot sides.

Karen: here's a thought....for your helfrich eggs, were they on the bottom, or the sides/top of the pvc tube? Thinking that they may be adherent eggs but laid on the bottom substrate in their cave normally, but maybe in your case there was no bottom substrate, so they laid on the tube surface?? I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Peter: Hope your knee gets well soon - you only have 4 months to get mobile again!! :D
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Luis A M » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Peter Schmiedel wrote:Li Chieh,

I always assumed that these gobies would be pelagic spawners ... no clue why, was just my assumption .
Does one know how they spawn?

I don´t think any goby is a pelagic spawner :?
Basically they spawn in two ways,either they deposit a layer of eggs on a hard substrate,like damsels and clowns,or when they spawn in soft substrates like inside caves buried in the sand-mud,they make solid egg masses (Cryptocentrus)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KMB » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:55 pm

The N. helfrichi placed their eggs on the sides and ceiling of the pvc. There were other rocks and a gravel floor in the tank but they chose the pvc. It looked like a clown or damsel nest and when I removed an egg for a photo I had to use a pipet and scrape while slurping it up. I'm just assuming that N. helfrichi and N. decora would spawn in a similar manner but I know I should never assume anything, (especially with fish spawning behavior!).

Karen
KMB

Postby jadeguppy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 am

What size tank are they in?

Any updates?
jadeguppy

Postby Magik » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Yeah - any updates?
Magik

Return to Ptereleotridae - Dartfish