[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders • View topic - Nemateleotris helfrichi

Nemateleotris helfrichi

Nemateleotris helfrichi

Postby spk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:38 pm

Ok folks,

I have now got 5 of these.
2 on my main tank and just picked up another three last Saturday.
The sad new is that i am not at home right now to do anything yet.....

Will try and take some pics over the weekend when I am home again..

Any ideas, news that you may have seen let me know.
Steve
spk

Postby KMB » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:07 pm

KMB

Postby mpedersen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:46 am

mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby spk » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:02 am

Karen,

Hi there, wow, another reefer out there that has a deep seated intrest. That is so cool.

Ok, now comes the huge amount of questions.

1) Sexing
2) Frequency
3) Feeding

Just to let you know, I have 2 that have been in a 5'x2'x2' aquarium for some time now. When I go them the pair were not of equal size. This last trio that i have purchased, all seem to be of a similar size and are currently in separate tanks at the moment.

So tell me more about you please.

Steve
Steve
spk

Postby KMB » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Ok, here are some observations on spawning behavior. The male chooses a site and starts to hang out around it and in it, (in my case a 3/4 inch pvc Tee). There is no prep of the site the way clown fish clean the area. The male will then try to entice the female into the pipe. He approaches her and swims in a slight up and down hopping fashion then turns around and races towards the pipe. It reminds me of when Lassie would try to get someone to follow her in order to save the day. (That's for those of you who are old enough to remember TV's Lassie). Anyway, the female doesn't seem interested but the male keeps trying. I saw this happen off and on for about a month and never saw the female participate and then I saw the eggs. It could be that my observations are not that keen :? and they had spawned previously but I'm counting that as the first spawn. That was Aug. last year and the Temp was about 28C. The eggs were in a very tight circle about an inch in diameter laid on the inside of the pipe. They spawned again ten days later and as I was now more observant I saw that the female became quite round with eggs the day before the spawn. That is the only difference I have been able to see between male and female. On day three after the spawn I didn't think the eggs were ready to hatch yet but they hatched that night and I missed them. :( Then in the following week the female had an injured mouth and was hiding in the corner. I removed her and treated her with antibiotics but she died. :(

There is also another behavior I have seen and I'm not sure if it's spawning related or just the fish being territorial but the fish will flick against the bottom just the way a fish with gill parasites will scratch on the gravel. When I first saw this I was pulling the fish and treating with formalin baths but soon realized it was a behavior and not a parasite problem. It is not only the dominant fish that does this, but any of them.

I feed the adults flakes, small pellets, frozen mysis, krill and live Artemia if I have left overs.

Hope that helps.

Karen
KMB

Postby KMB » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Oops, I need to make a correction. I miss-read my notes. The second spawn was 15 days after the first (not 10 days).

Karen
KMB

Postby spk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:30 am

Steve
spk

Postby KMB » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:23 am

Hi Steve,

I was trying for a pair when I purchased the fish. I purchased 3 fish in spring of 2006. One was definitely smaller than the other two. The two were close in size. I put all three through quarantine together and then moved them into a 20 gallon tank. They were fine for several months and then I purchased a 60 gallon tank and moved them into it. They were still fine until the summer of 2007 when the smaller fish began to be picked on. I left them together to work it out since the small one would still come out to feed but he was killed soon after. The two others spawned which was followed by the death of the female (as written earlier).

I purchased 3 more fish in Sept. 07 and put them with the remaining one. There was some dominance and aggression and I tried to mix and match but I lost two more in the process. I purchased 3 more in Oct. 07, (saying to myself that this was the last effort). One of those was very small and has remained separated. So with the other four I ended up with what seemed like two dominant and two submissive. I place one of each together which didn't work so I put the dominant ones together which also didn't work and they are now living separately. The two submissive fish are still together and I have my fingers crossed that they will spawn this Aug. and won't have to be separated.

Want to have a race for who spawns first (UK vs Hawaii)? :D

I get the feeling these fish are a definite male/female split but I really have nothing to base that on except the behavior I've seen.

Karen
KMB

Postby spk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:21 am

Karen,

Wow great news. thanks for all the information.
My first two that I bought were originally three, but one of them died before I go to ge them home. So the two that I have started out one smaller than the other.....

However these are in my main tank in the living room, so getting eggs, or anything is going to be a challange. But not an insurmountable challenge.
These were sized differently and I believe that there is now a definite difference between them. Not sure but we need to wait and see.

I was watching them last night and there was a lot of very close swimming, and they were wriggling close together. Looking at the pair, the one does seem to have a difference in shading and round "belly". I may be just overly hopeful but we will see.

The next three I bought, i did so a little over atwo weeks ago. One of them is missing, not sure where it went. Cannot find it anywhere, so I think it may be inthe sump or has gone and done a carpet surf job. but I cannot find a body. These three were in separate tanks in my breeding room. I am going to put them together into a single tank, but need to sort some 'T' peices out first. Not sure wether to use 1" or 1.5". Both of the tanks that they are currently in have LR, and there are just too many hidy holes to see anything.

Let me know your thoughts.

Steve

PS: You are on. who lays first.....
Steve
spk

Postby mpedersen » Thu May 01, 2008 12:43 am

mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby KMB » Thu May 01, 2008 2:40 am

KMB

Postby spk » Thu May 01, 2008 5:55 am

Steve
spk

Postby DrHsu » Thu May 01, 2008 7:16 am

Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby spk » Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi there,

there is so little information on this fish, and karen is the only other person that I have met that has shown any interest in there.

Would be interesting to see if you could get more information on the so called pairs.
Steve
spk

Postby icy1155 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:10 pm

icy1155

Postby spk » Fri May 02, 2008 5:45 pm

Steve
spk

Postby KMB » Sat May 03, 2008 1:16 pm

KMB

Postby spk » Sun May 04, 2008 11:19 am

Steve
spk

Postby icy1155 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:11 pm

icy1155

Postby KMB » Mon May 05, 2008 3:49 am

KMB

Postby spk » Mon May 05, 2008 11:40 am

Karen,

No worries, when you get a chance it would be great.
Thanks
Steve
spk

Postby spk » Mon May 05, 2008 11:42 am

Icy,
Where abouts in Delaware are you and what LFS do you visit. I go to the Philly area quite often.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.
Steve
spk

Re:

Postby icy1155 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:32 pm

icy1155

Postby spk » Mon May 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Steve
spk

Egg size/fry size

Postby cpage3 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi Karen,

I was wondering if you possibly glimpsed the egg or fry size when you experienced this spawning in your tank.

thanks
Chris
cpage3

Next

Return to Ptereleotridae - Dartfish