Is there a market

Is there a market

Postby 2divers » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:52 am

Just curious to see what you guys know about the market for Gold Stripped Maroons. I have been successful with my second batch but havent taken any more because the local fish market doesnt seem to want alot of them. Is there a larger market? Or is it that they are just so agressive not many people try these clowns?
2divers

Re: Is there a market

Postby Chad Vossen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:04 pm

cant sell them if you dont have them. but i wouldnt raise very many at a time though. you could expect to sell a store 20-30 ocellaris, and maybe they'll buy a pair of gold stripes. i think that's the sort of market i'm dealing with. when my pair starts spawning again, i'll try to have some available at all times, just not very many.
Chad Vossen

Postby spawner » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Two reason:

1. Wild fish are much nicer looking
Aquaculture gold strips are generally not gold, they also have a lot of deformities, look at the head of a captive gold stripe, most look terrible.

2, They are mean nasty fish.......
spawner

Postby KathyL » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:03 pm

REason #1, depends. I've seen some nice ones captive bred. Aquaculture gold stripes are not gold only if they are not old enough to get the gold transformation.
Reason #2 Yup, the problem with them often lies with preventing them from killing each other long enough for the gold to develop.

I am not speaking from experience. I've never raised them, but I hear from others who have.

These guys are prolific spawners, but you will sell precious few. One spawn could last you years before you sell them all. Do you have the space to keep them?
KathyL

Postby 2divers » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Yes I do have space for them. I had the first batch in February and then another batch in March. The first batch are as big as some of the false percs I see for sale locally, but no gold striping yet. I have about 50+ from the second batch. I didnt collect any more. I am facing a similar situation with my clarkiis. I took one batch and now they are about 7 or 8 months old. Great looking fish, but I am having trouble moving them....
2divers

Return to Premnas