Urgent help needed. Maroon clownfish pair not eating!PLEASE

Urgent help needed. Maroon clownfish pair not eating!PLEASE

Postby Ding2daDong » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:34 am

Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a breeding pair of maroon clownfish last Thursday. The male and female have not taken to prepared foods as I would have hoped. The female(4 times larger then the male) has eaten some frozen but doesn't swim to far from the anemone to get her food. The male always is in the shadow of the female so since he has been with me the female usually gets the big peices and the male just gets little left overs, which isn't enough food.

So I need help on this one please. The previous owner used to take a turkey baster and "spot" feed the area by the anemone and I tried replicating that and they didn't eat anything so I have given up on that.

I have tried rods food, PE mysis, hikira mysis, special local mixture similar to rods food, and add garlic to the good and while the female eats she is not very "enthusiastic" as fish usually are to prepared foods. I beleive that is due to many things including shipping and getting acclimating to her new environment but the biggest problem is the male. He really has not eaten much since I got him. And since he is always behind the female he really doesn't get any food.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for rattling on but it's late and I am really getting worried.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated,

Thanks

-Matthew
Ding2daDong

Postby mpedersen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 am

HMM. I just helped mhender through a problem like this ( http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3629 ) - he got a pair of fire clowns from me that I'd had for over a year...they refused to eat when he added them into his tank. In the end, what it was for him was soaking the food in Selcon that triggered the feeding, but here's the part that might be crucial - I regularly soaked my brine and mysis in Super Selcon, which meant that when he wasn't doing that, the food didn't "smell right" to the fire clowns.

So maybe you're missing something like that?

Otherwise, I'd have to ask how the fish appear health wise. And are they completely off food, or just not feeding with "vigor"?
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby vaporize » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:06 am

What is it these days with clownfish not eating??? (and not sick)

Maybe you are all spoiling your clownfish because I never really have a problem with clownfish not eating and is not sick (I am assumig yours is aquarium-lived pair). There is one very stubborn GSM pair that I bought from Dman that refuse to eat (or refuse to eat in front of me) for 3 weeks, after that it started eating... but she still hates it when I watch her eat... maybe a lady thing, always very moody too.
vaporize

Postby GlenelgBreeder » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:41 am

I had this problem as well with occys. I posted a thread about it too.

what I was doing when feeding was turning off my pumps to make it easy for them to get to the food they liked it to start but then stopped eating. I am now feeding with all pumps on and the female is loving it feeding heaps while the male still seems quite timid he is getting a little I think but nowhere near as much as the female.

Im thinking a large part of it is settling in and not being comfortable so I'm feeding alot with the intention of doing lots of water changes and only observing for the first minute or so of feeeding. The aim is to having food constantly flowing around so he can eat at leisure with noone watching.

I also put a jar with pellets at the bottom, as of yet they havent touched them but I'm just trying to put as any options in as possible for if/when they get hungry.

I'm going to go back to the fish shop this weekend and ask what they were feeding them because they had had them for 3 weeks so I'm assuming they were eating and also I'll get some live food for them.

good luck!
GlenelgBreeder

Postby vaporize » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:31 am

What is everybody feeding? I am feeding most of mine NLS pellets , not sure if that contributes to the less problem in eating.
vaporize

Re:

Postby Zooid » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:39 pm

vaporize wrote:What is everybody feeding? I am feeding most of mine NLS pellets , not sure if that contributes to the less problem in eating.

I also feed my New Life Spectrum. They attack those pellets. When I feed frozen mysis or brine, they don't seem as frenzied.
Zooid

Return to Premnas