Breeding log - anemone123

Breeding log - anemone123

Postby anemone123 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:20 am

Well I am finally a member of the breeding fish club! :D

Friday night, I setup my hatchery tank and placed the tile with my maroon clownfish eggs in the tank. I airated the eggs, covered the tank with a trash bag and they hatched out overnight.

I was very happy to see on Saturday morning that I had several hundred baby clownfish. I did have some die off. It looked like about 75% made it through the first night.:shock: After reading several threads, I was very surprised to have this many on day one. I had two big concerns at this point. The first was that my rotifer cultures are not old enough to sustain this many fish and second was keeping ammonia down. So I added as many rotifers as I could and started two more rotifer cultures. I then added greenwater to the fry tank until it was a medium green (algae culture people know what I am talking about). I put a strip light on the tank and turned it on. The fry went nose down on the bottom of the tank so I added more algae until they stopped doing this.

Sunday, brought good news and bad news. The bad news is that I had a huge die off. I think I am down to less than a hundred fry. The good news is that overnight the rotifers in the tank had actually increased 10 fold! I think the air stone was turned up two high so I turned it down until the water was gently moving. Before the air stone was churning the water pretty good.

Further info: I have a Seachem ammonia alert badge on the tank and pH alert badge. I have a digital thermometer and a Stealth 100W heater in the 10 gallon hatcher tank.

Questions: In the Hatchery tank there are a lot of little critters attached to the side of the tank, does anyone have any idea what they are? Are they bad, they look like fish food to me?

Before you ask, I know I need to post pictures. :roll:

Carl
anemone123

Postby anemone123 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:32 pm

I just checked the baby maroon's at lunch. All is well. :D They ate all the rotifers so I seived more into the tank.

Question:

What is the proper way to seive rotifers? If I want to add selcon what is the procedure for that too? Thanks in advance.
anemone123

Postby anemone123 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 am

I fed more rotifers and added greenwater last night. I plan on doing a water change tonight. The maroon fry are doing well. They are very active with little silver bellies.
anemone123

Postby anemone123 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:41 am

Well, all is well on day 5. I fed rotifers before I left this morning. I was surprised last night to find my maroon's had spawned again already. :shock: I have been feeding them heavier than normal. It must be help with egg production.

Something I do that most would not recommend, I do not feed any live adult brine shrimp or frozen foods to my broodstock. I use to but find that frozen foods cause more water pollution than flakes or pellets. IMO, frozen brine shrimp are like stupid pills for fish. After eliminating frozen brine shrimp, I have found and read that fish are less likely to die from shock. I don't know for sure but I think brine shrimp for fish are like candy for kids. They like to eat it. It gives them lots of energy. They bounce off the walls.
anemone123

Re:

Postby KathyL » Wed May 21, 2008 11:46 am

anemone123 wrote:...Question:

What is the proper way to seive rotifers? If I want to add selcon what is the procedure for that too? Thanks in advance.

One way to sieve rotifers is to pour your culture through a plastic coffee filter to catch the larger junk, then the 53 micron filter to catch the rotifers.

Back wash the rotifers off the filter into another container and enrich if needed with phyto. I have just begun to use Selcon, so I don't think I am the best one to ask about that.

K
KathyL

Postby Spracklcat » Wed May 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Kathy, what type of filters do you use and where do you get them?

Thanks--
Spracklcat

Postby anemone123 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks Kathy, it is nice to hear from someone with your fishkeeping experience. You mentioned you are just starting to use Selcon. I have read that it helps but do I really need it? At this point my baby maroons are going good without it.

Update, I checked the fry at lunch and found that the rotifer population had exploded and ate all of the greenwater. I was happily surprised to see just how many babies I had left. I estimate around between 50-150 at a glance. :wink:
anemone123

Postby anemone123 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:20 pm

Spacklcat,

I purchased my filter seives from Florida Aqua Farms. I have a 10um for algae, a 53um for rotifers, and a 125um for baby brine shrimp.

"um" stands for micrometer
anemone123

Postby Spracklcat » Wed May 21, 2008 3:07 pm

Thank you :)
Spracklcat

Postby anemone123 » Thu May 22, 2008 3:45 pm

Today is pretty uneventful. The fry tank is still teaming with rotifers and I have had to add greenwater again. I am thinking about removing some of the rotifers and adding them to an outside culture I want to start. I plan to start feeding BBS tomorrow.
anemone123

Postby anemone123 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:28 pm

My second batch did not go nearly as well as my first batch. I pulled the tile out one day too early. I have a lot of dead babies on the floor of the tank. I can count three live fry. As a learning experience, I think it is very important to pull the tile as close to hatch time as possible. One day early yielded a 3% hatch rate.

The first batch is doing fine. I do have a few issues with them though. First, the rotifer population is so large I can no longer add greenwater to bring down the ammonia. The ammonia in the tank is firmly on the cyan "alert" marker of my Seachem ammonia alarm. I have added some biomedia in a filter bag to try and bring down the ammonia, it doesn't seam to be helping. I have been siphoning water through a coffee filter to remove rotifers but it doesn't get enough out to eliminate the problem. I also started feeding BBS on day 8 and crushed flake food on day 12. The fish have been going through Meta for a few days now. They have their first two bands too. I have instituted daily water changes.
anemone123

Postby anemone123 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

It has not been a very good Monday. I have lost most of batch one. Batch one is down to about 10 fish. Batch two still has the three fish it started with and water quality is excellent. Having a small number of fry to feed, keeps the tank cleaner. Batch three was laid Friday. This time I am going to wait until the eggs look ready not when I calculate them to be ready.

Back to batch one, I think my problems stem from trying (forcing) the fry to eat more crushed flake food and less bbs. They are going through meta and only 15 days old. I should not have rushed them to change foods.
anemone123

Return to Premnas