Maroon clowns (die off after meta?)

Maroon clowns (die off after meta?)

Postby Nick McClurg » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Does anyone have any experience with raising maroons. I'm having great success getting them to metamorphasis (excess of a thoasand), but they drop like flies after that. I'm only ending up with a couple of dozen, don't seem to wean onto prepared foods very easily.
Nick McClurg

Postby Luis A M » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Too much bbs? :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby David M » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:39 pm

I can't say why they are dying, they sound too young for it to be aggression which is usually the biggest problem with growing them out. You really shouldn't have any difficulty getting them to take food. Try anything in the 30-125 micron range and soak it in some algae, maybe add a few drops of VitaChem or whatever you have. The soaked food should stay pretty bouyant and give them a chance to try it. I have some GSMs right now just a day or two past met and they have been on dry food for 5-6 days now. I still keep rotifers in there and add some bbs daily, but within a week or so I will reley completely on the dry ( Otohime A ).
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:15 am

I never had losses after meta, and compare to other readings mine are perfectly nice and do not harm each other at all! I have about 1000 GSM for market size and the first 80 are out now :) BTW my percs are way more aggressive then the maroons !!

The losses can only be due to made water quality, to low oxygen levels or malnutrition. I feed a lot NHBS and could not see any negative impact. But of course I use platinum quality which might make a difference.
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby Nick McClurg » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:16 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! I haven't been feeding bbs at all, just rots and dry food. The grow out sytem is 14000 l and I was running a pompano (food fish) trial in it before. Got stuck in today and cleaned the biomedia which was full of muck, maybe its a water quality problem. They were however stocked with occelaris, which were fine and I've had this problem before. I've got another big batch about 6 days old, I'll take the advice and see if I can get it right this time.
Nick McClurg

Return to Premnas