First go at Maroons. Amazing pair. Pointers plz

First go at Maroons. Amazing pair. Pointers plz

Postby ccopelin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 pm

So I am very lucky to get an amazing pair of Maroons for free. They are just over 3" and 4", they have great gold bars with flakes, and they have been in a friends 220 for 3 years and laying eggs for 2 of those years. He is going on a second overseas tour and is taking it all down. Now im not that new. I currently breed bangaii, and 2 different pipefish but have never breed clownfish. I have done a great deal of reading up and am fairly confident. My questions are (1) is there any chance of them turning on each other after the move (2) they spawn in a piece of live rock covered by the largest GBT anamone I have ever seen. Should it come along with the rock or should I just set them up with a clay pot. (3) they have been spawning regularly. should I expect a large downtime or will they just resume? I have a series of 10, 80 and 60 gal. tubs all plumbed together and they will get there own. Most have 250MH but a few have 40watt led. Thanks! CC
ccopelin

Re: First go at Maroons. Amazing pair. Pointers plz

Postby Amie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:30 am

ccopelin wrote:So I am very lucky to get an amazing pair of Maroons for free. They are just over 3" and 4", they have great gold bars with flakes, and they have been in a friends 220 for 3 years and laying eggs for 2 of those years. He is going on a second overseas tour and is taking it all down. Now im not that new. I currently breed bangaii, and 2 different pipefish but have never breed clownfish. I have done a great deal of reading up and am fairly confident. My questions are (1) is there any chance of them turning on each other after the move (2) they spawn in a piece of live rock covered by the largest GBT anamone I have ever seen. Should it come along with the rock or should I just set them up with a clay pot. (3) they have been spawning regularly. should I expect a large downtime or will they just resume? I have a series of 10, 80 and 60 gal. tubs all plumbed together and they will get there own. Most have 250MH but a few have 40watt led. Thanks! CC

I love breeding maroon clownfish, they are beautiful fish and their offspring are fun to watch. They are not as easy to raise as bangaii's but if you have raised pipefish, I doubt you will have any trouble at all. As far as moving them, I would recommend not separating them while you have them in transit from their old location to the new location. In other words, let them be traumatized about the moving experience together, in the same container. Does that make sense? I moved a 5 year old pair of maroon''s to a new home that was 30 miles away and they did fine. I put them in a large bucket together, with a lid, and put a portable airline in the water during the trip. There was a slight downtime before they started laying eggs, but it was only a 2-3 months.

Clownfish don't have to have an anemone in order to spawn. It is up to you if you want to take the anemone with them or not. Maybe someone else can give their opinion, but I don't think it will matter one way or the other. As for the lights, fish don't need the bright light of 250MH, but the anemone needs bright light or it will crawl around the tank.

Best of luck.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Return to Premnas