Trying to pair

Trying to pair

Postby oldnewbie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Recently I bought a mated pair of GSM but upon arrival the female was dead, so I have purchased a replacement just slightly smaller then the existing one . At release I moved both to a new breeding tank and instantly it was war after a few minutes I separated them and put one in mesh container in the tank with the other ,after 6 days they seemed calm so I let them in together again and it was back on WWII , I released them together again today with same result . s o am I loosing a fighting battle or just persisting with what im doing.
oldnewbie

Re: Trying to pair

Postby Luis A M » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Strange,GSM are usually easy to get along.Not so with WSM!
Make sure there is a marked size difference.And keep them separated with an eggcrate fence for some time.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby midjim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Keep the biggest one in the mesh, and let the smaller get to know the tank. I did this for a month to a fighting couple, they just laid thre first nest this week about 4 months later. I gave it three goes before i worked increasing the time apart each time.
midjim

Postby Amie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm

midjim wrote:Keep the biggest one in the mesh, and let the smaller get to know the tank. I did this for a month to a fighting couple, they just laid thre first nest this week about 4 months later. I gave it three goes before i worked increasing the time apart each time.

Good to know that this eventually works. I've never had the patience.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby oldnewbie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:50 pm

They got to each other yesterday and the fight continued ,so I might try and find two large females and just make 2 pairs
oldnewbie

Postby oldnewbie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:16 am

Success ...I have been introducing the fish to each other more frequently and today they accepted each other with out trying to rip the fins of each other. there is a obvious dominant one which I guess if not already will be the female. :P
oldnewbie

Postby Luis A M » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Well done! 8)
Now you must wait for the 1st spawn.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Premnas