Rearing Abudefduf; comparing those round black tanks

Postby Witt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:26 am

Hello Iris,

Lately, especially after dealing with difficult pomacentrid larvae, I have changed my approach to larval feeding. Many aquarists and commercial facilities place a 55 micron screen over the standpipe to prevent the loss of prey organisms from the tank. I disagree with this completely. Clearning rates are highly important and the prey (especially if it has been enriched) looses much of its nutritional value within hours. So, if rotifers are hanging around in the larval tank for days they are essentially void of any nutrional value, unless given algae and this is ultimately limited... I maintain a constant flow into the larval tank. Starting from the day the eggs are placed in the tank for hatching there is a constant addition of clean water. I use a 250 micron screen to get rid of EVERYTHING floating in the tank. I feed them in the morning and throughout the day the prey is diluted. Then, I feed them again...and so on. The idea is that a pulse of high density food is offered. The bottom line is that we are still unsure of appropriate prey densities for most species, especially when dealing with copepods and other wild zooplankters. So feeding in this way gives a pulse of really high density food that is slowly widdled down throughout the day giving the larvae several different opportunities to feed. This also reduces the chance ofprey organisms dying in the larval tank and polluting water quality. The drain line is fitted with micron bags and foam to catch all the prey. The water goes through a skimmer, UV and bio-Tower before returning to the tank.

Matt
Witt

Postby Witt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:28 am

Oh ya, and unless the tank gets really bad throughout the larval period I rarely siphon the bottom. Usually, water quality is rarely a problem as the tanks recieve a high turnover. In the unsightly event of hydroids or other nuisances or if a high density of larvae is present I start siphoning about 12 dph.
Witt

Postby KathyL » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:40 am

This is a very interesting approach. We often hear with clownfish that water quality is the cause of misbarring, but we keep the tanks isolated during the larval week. If we had a constant slow turnover, the water quality would never deteriorate, and we might never have misbarring. For those of us with a day job, it would be a challenge to feed more than twice a day, but i wonder if that would be sufficient. I may try this someday when I have an overabundance of rotifers in my culture buckets....
KathyL

Postby Witt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:28 pm

You may not need an over abundance of rotifers to achieve similar results. Remember, a sieve or similar micron mesh bag is placed over the drain line to isolate the prey and keep it from fouling the water. In this way, the rotifers can be reclaimed, re-enriched and fed again. On the downside though, I like mis-barred clowns.
Witt

Postby Iris » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:50 pm

Hello Matt,
thank for the answer, i understand that you have on the top a 55 mikron net you switch this everyday to clean? I think i try your methode with the round tank if i build some so i will send you a Picture :D to take a look of these
><)))°> Gruß Iris
Iris

Re:

Postby KathyL » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Witt wrote:You may not need an over abundance of rotifers to achieve similar results. Remember, a sieve or similar micron mesh bag is placed over the drain line to isolate the prey and keep it from fouling the water. In this way, the rotifers can be reclaimed, re-enriched and fed again. On the downside though, I like mis-barred clowns.

Matt,
Do you think that feeding new larvae twice a day will be sufficient?

I like misbarred clowns, too, but it would be fun to finally know why they misbar. If they have perfect water throughout, we can eliminate that variable...

K
KathyL

Postby Iris » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Hello Kathy,
i like misbarred clowns, too :lol: and we search too! and if i look i see that the larges have the missbar mostly, it´s the same by you?
><)))°> Gruß Iris
Iris

Postby KathyL » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:18 pm

You have a lot of beautiful fish, Iris!

It does seem as though misbaring does not slow growth at all, and maybe the faster growers are the ones that are prone to misbar...I am not sure of that.
KathyL

Previous

Return to Other Damsels