Pomacentrus alleni

Pomacentrus alleni

Postby Woodstock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:11 am

I have had a spawning pair of Pomacetntrus alleni damsels for a while but have just begun to attempt to raise the fry. Unfortunately, I do not have a copepod culture so I will be using rotifers.
Using the larval trap that Chad Vossen made (Thanks Chad!), I can easily collect the fry.
The pair seem to always have eggs since they spawn almost constantly :shock: and the eggs hatch very quickly (within a few days). Once spawned, the male takes care of the eggs and keeps away all intruders (even the female). He puts on his sexy spotted tuxedo when spawning :lol: He gets very dark and has light splotches all over his body.
The fry are incredibly tiny so I am doubtful they will be able to consume rotifers.... but I will try :D

I am on the hunt for a copepod that can be reared to dense levels on algae paste (not live) and that is small enough for these tiny fry to eat. Chime in with any new breakthroughs please!

A beautiful damsel that is not aggressive (only when defending the nest).

Male sporting his sexy spawning suit (notice the eggs laid on the glass)

Photo taken from the outside looking in. That is the father watching over the spawn.

Male on left, female on right. In the process of spawning...
Last edited by Woodstock on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodstock

Re: Pomacentrus alleni

Postby Woodstock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:14 am

This is the 'normal' coloration - a beautiful light blue with dark blue,black and yellow accents.

Woodstock

Postby Luis A M » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Donie Marie,these are awesome pics! 8) Congrats on your alleni spawning!
Yes,Pomacentrus hatch sooner than Chrysiptera or Neoglyphidodon and spawn very often,sometimes they lay eggs next to the previous unhatched nest.Which makes the newly hatched larvae smaller,more delicate and more difficult to raise.I don´t think you could raise any with rots. :?
But we now have a new promising copepod:Apocyclops pamamensis! :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KMB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:38 pm

I really like the photo where we're looking through the eggs on the glass to the fish!

I've only had experience with a few copepod species but they all needed live phyto to get dense cultures. How about trying ciliates then rotifers?

Good luck with them :D
Karen
KMB

Postby Woodstock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Luis A M wrote:Donie Marie,these are awesome pics! 8) Congrats on your alleni spawning!
Yes,Pomacentrus hatch sooner than Chrysiptera or Neoglyphidodon and spawn very often,sometimes they lay eggs next to the previous unhatched nest.Which makes the newly hatched larvae smaller,more delicate and more difficult to raise.I don´t think you could raise any with rots. :?
But we now have a new promising copepod:Apocyclops pamamensis! :wink:

Hi Luis.
I want to learn more about the copepod Apocyclops pamamensis!
I'll try to keep up with reading the zooplankton threads... 8)
I will try to get a few pics of the fry but it will be very difficult without a microscope since they are soooo tiny and transparent.
Woodstock

Postby Woodstock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:28 pm

KMB wrote:I really like the photo where we're looking through the eggs on the glass to the fish!

I've only had experience with a few copepod species but they all needed live phyto to get dense cultures. How about trying ciliates then rotifers?

Good luck with them :D
Karen

Hi Karen.
I've since moved them to another tank and they have spawning tiles now so I'm not able to see the eggs that well any longer. I'm glad I took pics of them like that when I did!
Ciliates? humm... I'll need to research raising those.
Woodstock

Postby Woodstock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:01 am

I collected more fry this morning and placed them in the 'nursery tank' filled with rotifers. I know the rotifers are too large but it is good practice for me :D

The breeding pair are in a 20 gallon long "refugium" filled with macro algae. It is a flow-through connected to a series of five 20 gallon long tanks (with breeding clowns) and a 55 gallon sump with large skimmer.
The male stays in the 'tent' on the left where the eggs are laid and comes out only to eat. The female is always out and about :)

Eggs... VERY, very tiny and difficult to see
Woodstock

fry in larval trap

Postby Woodstock » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:32 am

I captured more fry in the larval trap lastnight :)
I wish I had something to feed them :( I'll just put them in the nursery with rotifers...

I cannot get the youtube feature to work so here is a link to the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HievXC2YzbY

Lots of fry :)
Woodstock

Postby aomont » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:20 am

Fixed the video for you. ;)
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Return to Other Damsels